1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The lesson of Abraham & Isaac

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by av1611jim, May 15, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

What was the true message of Abraham's offering of Isaac?
    Some would say it pictures God offering His Son. They would be right. But there is so much more. And it is much deeper than just Abraham's obedience.
    See if you can find it, then let's talk about it.

In HIS service;
    Jim

(Hint: it is seen at The Mount of The Lord)

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I like the "surrendered" person that Isaac became to be---surrendered---totally obedient to his father's will----just like Jesus---who became "obedient unto death"

But one passage is sticking out right now over in Genesis 22:6

"And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Issac his son: and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together."

That little phrase, "And they went both of them together."

Jesus told His disciples "My Father is with Me always"

Ohhhhhh, but on that dreadful day on His way to dark Calvary---there were more than just Jesus' footprints in the sandy streets on the way----there were "unseen" footprints as "Father & Son" trekked up that wicked hill!!! I can't help but think---"And they went both of them together"

"My Father is with Me always"

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Amen blackbird.
    That is one really good picture.
    Also notice that it is the Father who laid the wood upon the Son. "He was smitten of God". No sinner put Jesus on that cross. It was the Father Himself. And Jesus, like Isaac, was fully surrendered to it.

What about the ram caught in the thicket by its head? This pictures the crown of thorns upon our Saviours head. Think of it. As Abraham pulled that ram out of the thicket, some of those "brambles" must have broken off and stuck to its horns and/or head. I have seen bramble bushes. Once they got you, there ain't no getting out unless you end up bleeding. So as Abraham pulled that ram free of the thicket, it must have caused some bleeding about the head of that ram thereby perfectly picturing a crown of thorns.

There is much more brethren. Let's do some digging and see the amazing things God has shown us if we would but look. Let's look to the Mount of God for a little while, and leave our petty squabbles behind.

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Pete

Pete New Member

When I was a kid (...or should I say when I was younger because I'm still just a big kid...) I had wondered a fair bit on what the big deal with Abraham was. Then preparing a Sunday school lesson for the kids a few years ago it finally sank in: Genesis 22:5 He said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you."

"We will worship and then we will come back to you." If that doesn't declare Abraham's faith in resurrection than what does!!

Following a trail of cross-references confirms it: Hebrews 11:17-19 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned." Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.

And this faith was almost 2000 years before Christ, no wonder Jesus said "Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."

All up a pretty good recommendation for the "Believing is seeing" line I think ;) [​IMG]

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Amen, Jim & Pete!! Amen!!

I could listen to that kind of preachin'--- "all the live long day!!!!!"

Amen!!

I'm preaching through Hebrews 11---"God's Hall of Faith" on Wednesday evenings!!! Got to the part where

1) Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau "concerning things to come"---noteing the "order" of the blessing----first---Jacob--second--Esau!!---then "Concerning things to come"------I believe this entails the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ---His birth, life, death, buriel, resurrection, and second coming!!!! Hebrews 11:20

then

2) Jacob "when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshiped, leaning upon the top of his staff."--Hebrews 11:21

Imagine ole Jacob after the "wrestling match" with God---and God touches the hip socket----knocking it out of joint----and then Jacob throwing all the standing support of himself into that staff from that point on!!! MERCY!!! If someone were to come along and knock that staff from under Jacob---Jacob would've fallen "flatter than a pancake"----thats a picture of US and our worship---throwing all of our support of ourselves upon the Lord Jesus Christ!!!! Worship is impossible without the Lord Jesus Christ!!!

Bro. David

[ May 15, 2005, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

......... bound Isaac his son........

Scripture doesn't say but I see no indication that Abraham had to wrestle his son to bind him nor that Isaac was angry at his father after the fact.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Interesting observation, Diane! No struggle on Isaac's part---but he was still bound none-the-less.

Jesus never struggled---but yet He was still bound! No one took Jesus' life---He layed His life down FREELY!!!

He gave them His hands to be tied----in a sense, He was saying to the Romans----"Here are My hands---I give them to you!"

Isaac was what I call "One Surrendered Dude!!!" See??? The Lord Jesus isn't looking for committment----we say, "Well! I'm going to commit to Jesus!!!" Rather---Jesus Christ is looking for surrender!!! You move at the descretion of the Lord who is over you!! We should say, "I surrender to You, Lord Jesus!! Take my hands---they are Yours!! Take my feet! Take my thoughts! Take my speech!!! I surrender me to You!!!" Isaac surrendered himself to his daddy---with just as much confidence as his daddy when his daddy said, "I and the Lad will go yonder and worship and will return!!"

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Isaac carried his wood. Jesus carried His cross.

9. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

I believe that this prophecy was fulfilled:
    God did "provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering"... the Lamb of God, his only begotten Son.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes, Richard!!!

And listen to what the scripture says

"God will provide Himself a Lamb"

The Lamb of God was none other than God Himself!!

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

AMEN David! Amen!

Notice also in reference to Pete's comments. Abraham (picturing Father God) said we will go and come again unto you.

This pictures God in Christ going to Calvary. And the promise of His return at the rapture. "We will go" and "Come again unto you".

Notice also that the journey was three days. Hmm? Something there I think. Anybody care to hazard a comment?

And one more thing. (although certainly isn't the end of it all)
    Isaac watched his father prepare the stuff before the journey. He knew there was a sacrifice coming. He also never questioned his father until they got to the mount. Where is the sacrifice? (already commented on) Isaac had full knowledge of what was going on, yet never opened his mouth until he was at the mount. Jesus knew fully what was going on yet never opened his mouth until just before they ascended the mount Calvary together.

Isaac never struggled. Jesus never struggled. Abraham didn't have to force Isaac. Jesus voluntarily laid upon the cross, no soldier had to force him. But notice!!! Gen 22:6! Abraham laid the wood upon Isaac! It was God the Father who laid the cross upon Jesus.

And it was Abraham's promise that both the boy and he would come again that is reflected in Jesus' promise of Resurrection by the power of God the Father!

In HIS service;
    Jim

12. qwerty

qwerty New Member

The location where Abraham and Isaac went to (the region of Moriah - Gen. 22:2), is the same location as what we refer to as Calvary, where Jesus was crucified.

Hebrews 11:17
    By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned." 19 Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.

Abraham believed that God would resurrect Isaac from the dead. (The sacrifice of Isaac was to have been a burnt offering.)

In Psalm 22, we are given a prophetic picture of the crucifixion.

One of the major points the Psalm makes about the crucifixion is this:

PS 22:23 You who fear the LORD, praise him!
    All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
    Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!

PS 22:24 For he has not despised or disdained
    the suffering of the afflicted one;
    he has not hidden his face from him
    but has listened to his cry for help.

An erroneous teaching that is popular in our day is that the Father turned away from Jesus while Jesus was on the cross. According to the Scripture, the Father did not turn away from Jesus.

Isaiah 53 confirms this:

ISA 53:4 Surely he took up our infirmities
    and carried our sorrows,
    yet we considered him stricken by God,
    smitten by him, and afflicted.

ISA 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
    the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.

The reality - Jesus did take up our infirmities and carried our sorrows.
    Isaiah gives the human response: "Yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted."
    It's amazing how Isaiah prophetically shows how people would react to the death of Jesus, and how people would frame it.
    Now, back to reality - But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member