1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The letter that changed my life ....

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by All about Grace, Apr 13, 2004.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

This week I received a 17 page letter from a local IFB church pastor condemning the 40 Days of Purpose / PDL. Here is a list of his reasons why Rick Warren belongs "in the same category as the Mormons and Witnesses" (yes that is a quote):

1. He elevates his book to the level of inspiration.

2. He denies the inerrancy of the KJ 1611.

3. He extends gratitude for the hundreds of contemporary and classical writers and teachers as the shapers and teachers of his life.

4. He endorses Roman Catholicism.

5. He uses a practice known as dialectic, which moves a lukewarm church into apostasy.

6. He holds a bold disregard toward hymns and spiritual songs and promotes all kinds of music.

7. His material will further accomplish a business mindset to the already Incorporated government churches.

8. He promotes the deliberate sowing of tares among the wheat.

9. His interdenominationalism and non-denominationalism = ecumenicalism.

10. He opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshipped.

Of course since this bother (excuse me I meant to say brother) has sent this to me b/c "God has put it upon his heart" I must assume he is right and Warren is wrong. My ministry will never be the same.

I am so thankful for strong IFB fundies like this who are able to keep the rest of us straight. :rolleyes:

2. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Folks that are "King James Only" criticize any book that quotes from modern Bible versions. His judgment is clouded because of his blind "KJV onlyism". Folks of his kind are grace killers that view everything that's not "independent baptist" with a janudiced eye. I'm a PDL discussion leader and I disagree with every point he made.

PDL is a very good book, not perfect but definitely worth a read. I'm a PDL discussion leader and I disagree with every point he made.

3. colorado_cop

colorado_cop New Member

Hello everyone...I've been away for a while, good to be back! =)

I have never read Mr. Warren's book, nor do I really intend to do so. If the negative points you bring up about his book are true, then it is very dangerous.

One question...why is it wrong to have a strong dislike for hymns? I'm 27, so obviously am from the younger generation, and I can't stand them. I easily realize they hold a very special place with millions of Christians around the world, but the musical style and the fact most (not all) but most of the hymns talk ABOUT God and not TO Him just don't help me worship Him. Modern praise and worship music, in my opinion, really do a good job of helping us express ourselves in a more intimate way to our Father than the hymns do, in my opinion.

In short, be careful about bashing modern praise songs. There's nothing inherently wrong with them. =)

4. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

The IFB pastor is wrong and the PDL book is safe. I encourage you to read it. [​IMG]

5. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I assumed everyone would sense my extreme sarcasm in the original post. As many know, I support fully and defend frequently the PDC & PDL movement. I received the letter b/c our church is known in this area as being one of the "success" stories from the 40 Days campaign.

6. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

SBC,

Yes, I clearly saw your sarcasm! I'm glad your church is doing well.

--Jeff

7. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

That's not true. I have and had many books that I have gleaned from whose author referenced MV's.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am IFB and would greatly appreciate it if you would stop using that description on people who would make the above statements... especially #2.

KJVOnlyism disqualifies one from being a fundamentalist because they have departed from the orthodox, fundamental, biblical doctrine of the Bible.

You might want to point out to him that the original fundamentalists came from several different denominations.

Is this guy a fan of Jack Hyles or one of the other pseudo-fundamentalists? For the most part, guys who think like this one exalt either themselves or some other leader above God in practice... although they would never admit it.

9. superdave

superdave New Member

I agree with about 1 and half , maybe only 3/4 of a point, depending on the interpretation.

I read his book, and have checked out the related materials, and I have to say, the reason his book is almost inspired is that it is mostly Scripture!

I don't agree with Warren's philosophy in total, but who else fits that category. The book is very good, much better than the purpose driven church.

I would not trust a pastor with the above views to teach the Word to me, no way! Way too much extra biblical baggage in the points you listed, clearly the man is not a student of the Word, at least not a good one. Warren's book is derived from Scripture, and from Jesus' own priorities and the commands to the church.

So he uses "The Message" or the NLT to get his point across, who cares, the references are there in the footnotes if you have a problem with one of the versions he chooses. The meaning doesn't change.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I couldn't see any actual scriptural evidence, or anything scripturally wrong with it. Mostly all it is is opinion.
    As SuperDave said
    And I agree.

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

While my points of disagreement with Warren are many, the points this guy brings up are really the product of his KJVOism.

I am reading through PDL. Out of the first 10 chapters, I have tagged about seven of them which contain ideas or statements that I am either against or I would just like some further clarification of what he said.

This guy is in his own little world.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My question is why this IFB pastor put so much engergy into dogging Warren and his book instead of using that energy to build the kingdom of God
    That kind of attitude needs to go.