1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The level of significance of the C-v-A debate

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by BobRyan, Jan 12, 2015.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible says that the character of God is revealed by observing what He does.

The C-V-A discussion is about the Gospel - the process of salvation whether or not arbitrary-selection and limited-love limited-gospel is the method God uses - or does He really "So love the World" and is He really the "Atoning Sacrifice for Our sins and not for OUR sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE world" 1John 2:2 NIV.

Does God "overstate his love and generous mercy" in marketing style hyperbole not really "meaning the Whole World" or "all" when He says it?

No matter which side of that you come down on - in the end, still it does matter.

Some on each side have perhaps argued that the issue is soooo big, so significant that to get it wrong as the other side has done is - "another gospel", or perhaps have they said even worse - (who knows since I have not read every post.)

So then comes this post

This is in response to the idea that irrefutable texts were posted for which Calvinists have yet to give a substantive "details noticed" answer.

" You are out to win and not persuade."

The response above is focused on style and form -- how were those texts posted? Was the person who posted them generous enough toward the opposing view? And if not? well then are the texts really worth dealing with?

That is the impression I get from the post above.

As if the weight of the subject sinks below the significance of "you did not fold your hands right" or "you said that in a way where I take offense" -- or something along those lines -- justifies ignoring the text.

I myself have seen a number of what I have called "mean spirited" posts sent my way or to someone else on this board. I still think it is in the best interest of the discussion in general to treat the texts as rising far above such issues.

" You are out to win and not persuade."

I believe in free will so I don't argue that the one I am responding to must cease to believe their own wrong doctrine and accept the corrections to it that I post. (they of course would view that differently - that is a given).

I post to provide the objective unbiased reader a clear comparison of the facts in scripture. It is a "given" that the two sides "differ". I am not arguing against that point.

Given what others have said about the significance of this board area - I think the texts rise above small differences about style and form. We are all adults we can focus on the text "anyway" if we choose.

Your thoughts?

in Christ,

Bob

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You MUST first though, before getting into this debate, understand that the Gospel of both sides is NOT that of the One held by the SDA, do you agree with that first?