1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Little Pagan Drummer Boy

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aaron, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, when you offer your filthy rags (look that up in a Gr. lexicon), He thinks they smell sweet?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No kidding.

For the record, I find the song very annoying and dislike it very much, but Aaron's reasons assume way too much and make massive unfounded generalizations/condemnations about others and the very song itself. There's no warrant for even suggesting that the drummer boy was "pagan."

Furthermore, he does not seem to understand grace in general, and most specifically, the grace we have in Christ. Sin has been dealt with in Christ. It is no longer about "measuring up" (if it ever was), but it is about aligning ourselves with God and experiencing His transformation of our lives.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think somebody has been delving too deep into amateur psychology.
    Better get your feet back on solid ground!:rolleyes:

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not so much about the boy as the premise of the song.

More than that, it's about our union with Christ. All our unrighteousness becomes His, and all His righteousness becomes ours.

Christ, and He alone is worthy. We are ALL unrighteousness, He is all righteousness.

I do understand grace, and it is not described in this song.

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The premise you suppose is not even suggested by the song.

Boy = pagan? No justification for that view.
    "He smiled at me" = drummer boy being made right with God. No justification for that view.

Unrighteousness was dealt with on the cross and it is no longer an issue for those in Christ. We are dead to it in Christ.

So which is it? Are you in union with Christ or not? If you are in union with Christ, you need to set aside your obsession with unrighteousness and embrace the grace of God so that you may experience practical righteousness worked out in your mind and body. Obsession over unrighteousness leaves you stuck in sin and unable to experience and extend grace.

Looking back over this ludicrous thread, I noticed I already answered your assertions sufficiently several years ago. You may click on the links below for a refresher:

First major response

Second major response

Third major response

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

And this is relevant to what, exactly??

By the way, the word used in Isaiah 64:6 -- meaning it will do no good to look it up in a Greek lexicon -- does not mean "menstrual rags" as many, many well-intentioned individuals have claimed over the years. It is the Hebrew beged -- Strong's # 899 -- and means, simply, any type of clothing. It would be far more appropriate to reference it to Paul's statement about putting off the old man -- stained with sin -- and putting on Christ.

:thumbsup:

Good post, BB.

#66 thisnumbersdisconnected, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, yes. You keep asserting this error. Time to go to the Scriptures now and see what the acceptable offerings are.

You first.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any offering you bring. try to keep up.

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 51:15-17

O Lord, open my lips,

and my mouth will declare your praise.
    For you have no delight in sacrifice;

if I were to give a burnt offering, you would not be pleased.
    The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit;

a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

Romans 12:1

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

#69 Baptist Believer, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. thisnumbersdisconnected

I am keeping up, case you hadn't noticed. I think my post hashed your premise, but that's just my opinion.

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is one of the most ridiculous I've followed.

It's kinda like in the 50s there was a TV program called "HOWDY DOODY" - a kids show. I hated the show, but they did so much crazy and unusual things that I watched off/on simply to see what was going to happen, not because of any interest in the show.

This fits my following this thread - wondering what rabbit trail is going to be legitimized to back up an unbackable claim.

If you don't like the tune, simple - don't listen!! Not that hard to grasp.

It seems that there are very few that agree to the subtle "rejection of pure doctrine" that some claim.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

jwp, never really paid much attention to it or sought it out to listen to it, but now that it's been brought to my attention every year, maybe this will be the year I choose to go find it and play it just for fun. :laugh:
    Just looked up the lyrics, it even has an ox and lamb keeping time. I do so love when songs and stories give human characteristics to critters! How cute.

Wonder what evil intentions shall I read into animals keeping time? Ooooh, they are keeping time with a DRUM, the most evil of instruments in Baptistdom. This could get theologically exciting.

Or it could just be a song.

Looking into the body of works by the original composer, she did some beautiful stuff that I wasn't aware were her original compositions. Pretty neat! There's your rabbit trail. Go look her up. (yes, not only drums, but composed by a WOMAN!)

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Excellent.

if I were to give a burnt offering, you would not be pleased

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to keep reading.

God DOES accept a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart as a sacrifice/offering.

The point here is that ritual sacrifice (following the letter of the law) does not please God, but the attitude in which the offering is given.

Thus even in your twisted interpretation of the song where the boy is making an offering to Jesus, the "drummer boy" can use his "machine" to provide a gift to the baby Jesus and it is perfectly acceptable.

Let's imagine a scene where Jesus is dining with a religious person (let's call him Simon) and a woman with a very bad reputation suddenly comes into the home, falls at the feet of Jesus and cries uncontrollably, wetting the feet of Jesus with her tears and wiping them dry with her hair. She also indulged herself by kissing the feet of Jesus! That would be HIGHLY inappropriate in that culture. (Just imagine where those tears, lips and hair have been!) Then she takes a jar of extremely expensive perfume and pours it over the feet of Jesus, filling the house with the fragrance of the scent that was purchased by providing sexual services to the men of the village, country-side and possibly beyond. There is no provision in the Law of Moses to do what she did. So what might Jesus do? For a hint, you may want to examine Luke 7:36-50.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

This thread was my first foray into the Music Ministry realm.

Likely will be my last, too.

:BangHead:

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be discouraged. That's just the way Aaron is. He pulls this kind of thing on a regular basis.

You have posted well-reasoned, biblical posts that any unbiased person would find compelling. Unfortunately, Aaron is not known for changing his mind or accepting anything that does not already conform to his current opinions.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the Psalm well. Something had to happen before a bullock (or the thing it signified) could be offered on the altar. What was it?

P.S. It wasn't an attitude.

#77 Aaron, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you referring to repentance*?

* A realignment of one's life in accordance with the Kingdom of God.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One had to be whole.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just sayin'.