1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Inquiring Mind, Oct 12, 2006.

?
  1. High

74.4%
  2. Mediocre

12.8%
  3. Low

10.3%
  4. No Idea what you are talking about

2.6%
  1. Pete

Pete New Member

[[​IMG] FLAME]

Can't vote. "Low" isn't low enough for that garbage.

Forced my way through the books however many years ago because they were supposed to be one of the reasons printing was invented :rolleyes:

Saw the first movie, same garabge with some special effects thrown in. Not wasting any more hours of my life on it :rolleyes:

[/[​IMG] FLAME]

2. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Extended editions of the movies are better than the theatrical versions (I know adding more to a 3 hour movie sounds crazy, but it worked)

books were great too

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Never read the books. I would have been lost in the movie if my little brother had not filled me in. In any event I thought they were good but not superior. I mean it wasn't Braveheart!!:thumbsup:

Bro Tony

#23 Bro Tony, Oct 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
  4. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Ah well, you can't always account for peoples lack of taste. :p

5. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yeah, except for the blatant historical inaccuracies, Braveheart was a great movie. That's the beauty of Lord of the Rings - Tolkein could make up his own history (I'm not certain, but I think there is a post-modernist debate in there somewhere:smilewinkgrin:)

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have to say the same thing regarding there isn't anything that rates it low enough. As a peace of literiture, it is a good work. But it was never ment to be a an allegorical work like Narnia. There were groups who sadly and to there discredit of stating such, and even the one writen by the vise president of Focus on the Family stated in the preface of his book - though J.R.R. Tolkien never intend it to be an allegorical work God superintended it to be. (Give me a bit I have to find the book in my library to give an exact quote)

Mr. Tolkien wrote the books first at an attempt in writting and then morphed into what he hoped would be consided one day a mythology for Europe. The reason he stated in his documentary from History Channel where Europe have lost much of their original mythology over the centuries of and theirs is now a merger of many cultures.

Being honest Every kid I personally knew in school who read this (like myself) went from it to Dragon Lance novels and other variations, as well as Dungeons and Dragons. Most of the Witch Covens I knew of (since I was looking into them at the time) recommended those books as a first read. And in NW Arkansas I spoke to some youth groups that were having trouble in a one on one (since I know the pastors and youth leaders real well) and found the majority of them from whom some of the problems within the group were comming had started dabbling in witchcraft due to going to the movies and watching it as a youth group. This was the reason I was asked to speak with them since many of the signs the youth pastor was explaining with regard to the youths problem pointed to the possiblity of witchcraft.

There is actually a witch camp (like a Christian youth camp) in Sulphur Springs, AR. where I lived that was opened for three weeks out of the year. They ran an average of 200 to 300, many of whom I personally know attend churches and those same parents (avid members) were sending their kids to this camp. Can you guess what other book than Harry Potter they used to help kids become engrossed and excited about the spiritual power of magic or the craft as they call it.

Mr. Tolkien Himself declares in the older novels this was no a work made to show religious veiw, allegories, or moral standards but simply my has at writting a great mythology.
    If anyone wants I can scan that document (since I copied it to refute those who claim it is a work like Narnia) where He states this in the preface of the first novel of the trilogy.

I have actually read all of His work from the Hobbit to the Samarilia 11 times and the Trilogy (The Lord of the Rings) 22 times from the age 17 to 21.

It is a good work of high literary degree but please do not advocate Christian values to it that were never intended to be given other than that of common good. Otherwise we can do the same thing with Harry Potter and the Dungeon and Dragons books and Teen Witch books as well.

Writting fast so forgive the mispellings and punctuations please.
    Sorry - just venting

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Whether or not Tolkien intended to write an allegory the end product provides themes which a Christian can appreciate. The Good vs. Evil dynamic is one. In the LoTR good is good and evil is evil making it easier to understand and see, much like many of the old myths and fables. The theme of self-sacrifice is one that Christians can definitely grasp and celebrate as it is something we are called to do in the image of Christ.

While LoTR was not intended to be a Christian allegory, Tolkien's faith comes through in the pages and cannot be ignored.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, He uses good magic vs bad magic a definate distinction between good and evil.

This is definately sound principles of the faith. Not once is any type of God alluded to other than that of the maybe the High Elves (Plural) who's names and powerful magic stike fear into the hearts evil creatures

The good vs evil dynamic again is found in any pagan fable or mythology.

and self-sacrifice is not a christian only theme, look at ANY Pagan mythology.
    Look at the Greeks, Egyptians, Assyrians ect...

But as you accert we can look at Harry Potter for the same.
    Actually we can look at Dungeons and Dragons or even the Dragon lance novels it is completely about good vs evil and self sacrifice. About loyaly and commitment adherance to ones faith and devotion till death. These are all christian themes we can grasp but it is the intent of the writings that make them profitable for good.

All I am stating is not that it is an evil book but not to ascribe things to it that it was the intent of the author to place there.

9. Pete

Pete New Member

Funny Chemnitz, I was thinking same thing about people who liked it :tongue3: :laugh: :wavey:

10. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Something tells me with the way you automatically jump to Harry Potter and D&D makes me think that you don't want to ascribe anything good to LoTR because you have to give books you view as evil the same treatment inorder to remain consistent.

Again regardless of the fact that Tolkien set out to just right a good story, he can not help the fact that it reflects his beliefs. No, Tolkien never truly mentioned God but a Christian can not help but see the God pleasing virtues in the heros and the downfall of evil by means of self sacrifice.

11. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Am I a fan of LOTR? You bet! :)

12. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Member
    Site Supporter

I want to move to New Zealand and pretend I'm a Hobbit. :sleeping_2:

-Michael

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Dont know if the thread was about books or films.

Books were incredible
    Films were okay

Didn't see anything Christian in either one

#33 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  14. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Member
    Site Supporter

I couldn't get into the books. 50 pages into book 1, I was bored to tears and quit reading. The movies, however, are the best motion pictures every made, IMHO. They stand alone, as I realize they cannot possibly cover the depth (of boredom) from the books ;)

-Michael

15. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The movies are among the best! I loved them. I like them even better in the extended versions. They are great entertainment!

I haven't read the books - don't know that I plan to. Reading is something I do because I have to, not for enjoyment!

16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

This is interesting. Ask the same question at a charismatic board and you will get very different answers. Most charismatics will say the movie is occult. Some really freak out over this claiming that the monsters in this movie look like real demons and so on.

17. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I am really suprised that we are four pages into this and nobody has taken that position here. I would have thought that by the fourth post somebody would have said just that.

If they know what real demons look like then they have more to worry about then movies.

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

WHo said I don't see any good in the books.

I stated it was a GREAT literary work.

But as to any christian can see his beliefs in it, What am I, a non-believer!?

Any religion can see THEIR good in it, since it is only based on COMMON good.
    And yes self-sacrifice is know in all religions as the great good to be given.

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

20. nate

nate New Member

Are you calling Tolkien's work childish? If so you should read the books again, because you are sadly mistaken. Of course if you use a real 1611 (not the revisions) with original spelling I guess Tolkien's works would seem childish.

#40 nate, Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006