1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord's church a denominational mess?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JSM17, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did JSM say he is COC?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

3. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Not yet, but I can tell you pretty certainly that he is.

He MAY be a member of a portion of the Independent Christian churches that stay similar to the Churches of Christ.

However, s/he is far more likely to be a member of the Churches of Christ.

I have years' worth of experience and ties with the Churches of Christ, and pages and pages of their literature. There are a handful of telling signs:
    • the refusal to identify being part of denomination, calling themselves `undenominational' to distinguish themselves from non-denominational congregations,
    • the obsession with baptism,
    • the refusal to acknowledge possibility of salvation without proper baptism,
    • the low view of faith, as in little or nothing more than meaningless assent to something,
    • the insistence that if there is any disagreement, that necessitates division,
    • the use of `denominationalism' as a self-excusing replacement for "divisions" and insinuations that to eliminate division, all must join their group,
    • proselytizing primarily by debating members of church groups most similar to them, as opposed to those more different, and as opposed to evangelizing unbelievers,
    • the use of true/false questions to set people up to be misrepresented as a debate tactic,
    • the unwillingness to let discussion over disagreements get far away from favorite verses portrayed as favorable to group precepts,
    • a refusal to make a distinction between what Scripture says and what they say Scripture says, treating their inferences as Scripture,
    • the unwillingness to acknowledge any Scripture that contradicts group religious precepts, as when it is shown, polemicists go on as if nothing was said or shown.
    In my experience, this combination appears in no other religious group besides the Churches of Christ.

Please keep in mind that not all Churches of Christ have these. "The refusal to acknowledge possibility of salvation without proper baptism" is not universal anymore, and the portion of the Churches of Christ I frequent do not use the `T or F' tactic.

#63 Darron Steele, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009