1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lords day

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Rich_UK, Dec 2, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave New Member

rjprince

Thats a big 10-4. There have been several of these threads around. There ususally is a Seventh Dayer around on them too.

The Sabbath is The only commandment (of the 10 big ones) not repeated as a command in the NT. Do you think that perhaps is a hint? [​IMG]

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

SuperD,

For me the real clincher was Exod 31:16-17.

16Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

One of my pet peeves about preachers who preach that it's a sin to do secular work on Sundays are those that, once the Sunday morning service is over, eat out at a public restaurant--thus forcing those restuarant employees to do secular work on Sunday. Is that not hyprocrisy?

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Didn't the apostle Paul go out to eat every day? Including Sundays?

This is one of my life verses!

"I BUFFET MY BODY" (1Cor 9:27 - ASV) Amazing how many KJVO preachers prefer this translation as evidenced by their actions!

It should be pronounce "buh-fay" not "buh-fett" IMHO!

Yes, I know, the daily thing was in another passage.

5. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i would choose a job that requires me to work on sundays as an exception but not a rule.

6. Bro. Lewis

Bro. Lewis New Member

God is'nt Big Enough to give you a job. Quit church and go to work. It's not like you can get your prayers answered or anything like that.(now you know I'm kidding)

[ January 06, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Perhaps God is big enough to allow a Christian who must work on Sunday to be a testimony for Him there.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the Sabbath was given ONLY TO ISRAEL. As Jesus was a Jew while in the flesh, He followed the law given to the Jews, including the Sabbath. he also obeyed the ROMAN law of the land as Scripture illustrates by narrating an occasion where He paid a capitation tax.

The special days when the Jews did nothing but worship, care for their animals, and do that which was required to stay alive are called HIGH SABBATHS. On the regular weekly Sabbaths, all they did was avoid unnecessary work.

For awhile, the early Christian congregations met DAILY. Even though it's not found in Scripture, I see nothing wrong with having the services as we now have'em.

I believe JESUS, as usual, provided His rule for working on Sunday...He reminded that if a Pharisee's animal fell into a hole on a Sabbath, he wouldn't just leave it there till Sabbath was over. He reminded His audience that HE WAS MASTER OF THE SABBATH, and that the Sabbath was made for men, and not man for the Sabbath.

Same as other "gray area" questions where Scripture isn't specific whether it's right or wrong, this is a matter of individual belief.

9. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I would ask the question, are we humble enough to accept where God has put us? If someone can get at least one service off then they are not forsaking the assembling together. There is the principle. The other principle is that man needs a day to rest and focus on God. That can be any day, and most places of employment give at least one day off. The scripture does not demand that we meet every time the church doors are open. With all the special services there are today, no one fullfills that. I don't know about you other Pastors, but I work pretty hard on Sundays. Saturday is a pretty good day of rest for me. If I were to preach that you shouldn't work on Sunday I would be a hypocrite.

[ January 06, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]