1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord's Derisive Laughter

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, May 17, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post is a reminder of a biblical reality . I will cite some verses which are in the same vein . John Gill ( one of my favorites ) has this to say about the Proverbs 1:26 passage in particular : [ The Lord ]" will have no mercy upon them , but rather express a pleasure and delight in displaying the glory of his justice in their destruction ." J. Edwards and A.Nettleton had awakening sermons which were about God's Justice Displayed In The Damnation Of Sinners . It's a theme that a Rick Warren wouldn't warm up to -- but it is appropriate to preach to this generation as well as sermons emphasizing that God is love and that His mercy is everlasting . Folks need to know the terrors of the Lord . He is hard against wicked fools .

The top Bible version is the TNIV , and the lower one is the NET .

Psalm 2:4 -- The One enthroned in heaven laughs , the Lord scoffs at them .
    The one enthroned in heaven laughs in disgust; the Sovereign Master taunts them .

Psalm 37:13 -- but the Lord laughs at the wicked , for he knows their day is coming .

The Sovereign Master laughs in disgust at them , for he knows that their day is coming .

Psalm 59:8 -- But you laugh at them , Lord ; you scoff at all those nations .

But you , O Lord , laugh in disgust at them , you taunt all the nations .

Proverbs 1:26 -- I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you ; I will mock when calamity overtakes you .

So I myself will laugh when disaster strikes you , I will mock when what you dread comes .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said in reference to some sermons of the past : " God's Justice Displayed ... However , other sermon titles also conveyed that God Is Glorified In The Damnation Of Sinners . Both are true . Again , it is not a numbers grabbing message , and many here would not think that anyone could be saved with such a terrible ( old meaning ) subject -- but the Lord will surprise you . As old Cowper penned : He moves [ works ] in mysterious ways . His wonders to perform .

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Amen. IMO it is to our peril to ignore any of the characteristics of God, whether it is His love and mercy or His wrath and indignation. God wants us to know Him fully, and we err if we shut out the parts we don't happen to like.

This raisese the question, why wouldn't someone like God's love and mercy? What's not to like? To that I would answer, ask Jonah. So it isn't just God's wrath that people like to ignore, although I think that is far more common (especially today).