1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Lord's Prayer" in "The Message...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by robycop3, Jun 8, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those of you who've been here awhile may have guessed that I'm maybe not a KJVO, but do I believe that EVERY book with "Bible" on the cover is authentic Scripture? Not hardly.

Here's a little example from a "version", The Message, which I consider as legit as my deed to the Brooklyn Bridge:

Matthew 6:9With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
    Reveal who you are.
    10Set the world right;
    Do what's best--
    as above, so below.
    11Keep us alive with three square meals.
    12Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
    13Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
    You're in charge!
    You can do anything you want!
    You're ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Comments, please?

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Well, first I couldn't believe what I was reading, and then I thought "I'm glad I don't possess a copy of The Message". It certainly isn't very reverent and it certainly doesn't convey the majesty and wonder of our Lord, our God or how we should approach Him in prayer. Still really at a loss for words.

Blessings

Sheila

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, certianly reveals the simplicity aspect of the prayer. Remember that the Message is a one man paraphrase, chew up the meat and spit out the bones. It can be very useful for those not familiar with scripture.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really poor. I would not think it helpful even to an illiterate or unchurched.

Paraphrase would mean putting the idea into other words. I didn't see much of the idea itself!

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I finally get to vent about The Message! I really dislike it. For one thing, it's a paraphrase, and I think paraphrases are only good as a supplementary tool. Even then, I do not use paraphrases for myself -- I would rather use a translation like the NLT if I want to see a more contemporary rendering.

Although some passages in The Message are okay, there are many that are not. I was reading a book once that quoted from The Message a lot, and I looked up the same verses in the NASB and sometimes in the NLT. The Message actually changed the meaning sometimes, and other times added to the words.

I do not like the way he renders the Lord's Prayer above, for example.

Also, The Message tones down sexual sin. This and other problems are discussed in this article. (It says by Eugene Peterson but they mean The Message is by Peterson).
    FROM A SUMMARY CRITIQUE: THE MESSAGE

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

The "Message" is not even a decent paraphrase. The Living Bible is far superior. Our ladies came back from a weekend seminar and shared what they had learned. One lady read from the material and then read what she said came from Scripture. I had never heard the verse before or anything similar so I asked her what was she reading and she to me the Message. When I looked up the verse(which I have now forgotten) it did not say in any other version what the Message said. It does not just paraphrase it literally changes the meaning of the verses. I would not have one nor would I encourage anyone to read it.

Bro Tony

7. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I just recently downloaded it from e-sword.net and am sad I wasted the time. Very poor work. The paraphrases I guess can be helpful but this one (message) is really not that good.

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Worthless trash! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Recycle it with your old newspapers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Just another reason why I will always stay with the King James Bible. Glad to see some of you recognizing a false book.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Rotten paraphrase.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thumb(s) down.

HankD

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far, I believe we've shown another KJVO premise to be false; that we who oppose the KJVO myth do NOT believe every book that calls itself a Bible is valid.

I believe the very NAME of The Message is a giveaway. No reverence at all for God's word. No mention of either HOLY or BIBLE. The message is actually PETERSON'S message, and although my knowledge of Greek & Hebrew is rudimentary, I don't hafta be a rocket scientist to see The Message doesn't follow any known mss too closely, nor are his definitions too hot. In the example of the Lord's Prayer, "amen" does NOT mean "yes"! "Amen" is either a solemn ratification or a hearty approval, I.E."it is so". and I don't believe it needs any replacement word, as I don't know of even a recent emigrant new to English who doesn't know what 'amen' means.

Summary: The Message is a bummer. Thanx to all who've commented so far.

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess Eugene Patterson is glad many don't agree with many on the board!

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Who know's what Eugene Patterson thinks, but OTOH, I am sure Eugene Peterson is happy those people who buy the Message don't agree with many on the BB. :D

(Couldn't resist). [​IMG]

15. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

This statement is probably true, which shows the pitiful state of the church today when it comes to biblical discernment. It is a good thing that the things of God are not up for a popular vote, or else God would loose every time, even in His own church. Gideon would not fare well in todays churches.

God does not need a majority.
    Bro Tony

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That does strike a somewhat funny picture if you think about it too long!

17. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

18. Ryan E.

Ryan E. New Member

Glad you told me that it was the Lords prayer .I never would have known by reading it .

19. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

It is not The Lord's Prayer; it is Peterson's nonsence. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanx, all. I believe we can safely conclude this thread now without any loose ends remaining. It's plainly established that we anti-Onlyismists do NOT believe every book that calls itself a Bible is actually a HOLY BIBLE. That was my purpose, to debunk yet another foolish claim by the KJVOs that we're "Bible Whateverists", willing to accept every piece of garbage that comes along with "Bible" on its cover.