1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lords table for shut ins?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Soulman, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I am seeking an answer to a question no one has been able to answer for me. Perhaps someone here can help.

When we have the Lords table, the pastor will take it to the nursery and awanna club volunteers and any other ministry within the church that was unable to be part of the main service.

My question is: For those precious members that have become too feeble to come to church, can they have the Lords supper brought to them at home or in the nursing home?

If the other ministries in the church can have it after the main service, should our shut ins be denied due to the confines of the parking lot. They are still members.

2. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Since the ordinance is administered under the authority of the church, I see no reason why it could not be authorized to be served to shut-ins.

If you have a shut-in member who lives right across the street from the church...say 50 yards away, and someone is serving the supper to those located on church property but in a facility 150 feet away from where the main body is gathered, should the fact that the shut-in is not located on the church property make a difference?

What do you think?

3. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see why not... as long as it's done Scripturally and with a right heart...

perhaps the Lord is calling you to a ministry of such... ???

4. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no Biblical basis for it. The Lord's Table was part of the service of the gathered body. However, there is this little doctrine that we claim to believe called the autonomy of the local church. If a church decided to minister to shut-in members in this way, that is their prerogative.

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I belive it's a wonderful idea and have done so throughout my ministry.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every trip we lead to the Holy Land we enjoy the Lord's Supper at the Garden Tomb at twilight. It is an awesome experience. Our church gives us the authority to observe it on such occasions.

Can see the same with a ministry to shut-ins. We LOVE the little cups that have a peel-off lid and wafer, then another peel-off lid and the wine. If the church approves this, go for it and be a blessing to the sick and shut-in.

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Several churches I have been a part of have carried communion to all shut in members every time we observed it. We had each deacon carry the elements to his shut ins. I have also observed the Lord's supper in Hospital rooms. Done for fellow believers under the direction of a local church, why not?

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't imagine there being a question. We consider it a part of shut-in visitation, when done by a pastor. He holds a little "service" for them, even if it is just the two of them.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I see absolutely no problem with it at all, and think it would be a great service to those older members who can no longer get out.

10. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

seeing that we baptists say that the ordinances are of the upmost importance, baptism and communion why should shut-ins be left out if it is God's command for all Christians to partake?

I see this as a very serious approach to God's commands and am considering doing this myself to our shut=ins. Thank you for the wonderful idea.

11. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Praise God for all these positive responses. I thought I was the only one that thought about it this way. I have been told by several pastors that the Lords table should not be portable. I have seen no biblical basis for this stand.

In studying it out I have found that it is up to the pastor to make the decision as the ordinance was given to the church. If he doesn't want to take it beyond the parking lot I guess I have to accept that. I just feel it is a shame that people have to miss out on one of the greatest blessings Jesus gives us.

12. Karen

Karen Active Member

Our church has recently started to do this. The deacons involved say it has been a wonderful blessing to all involved, the deacons as well as the shut-ins.

Karen

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the history of the early church, one of the roles of the deacons was to take the leftover communion and distribute it amongst the sick, and I think that there should be alot more of it in the modern church!