1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Mainstream Media Is Broken

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Jun 3, 2015.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Dominated by special interests — whether corporate lobbies, financial power, ideological bias, chauvinistic institutional racism, the entrenched problems are well-documented.

My experience at The Guardian — the highly-regarded liberal newspaper that broke the Edward Snowden whistleblowing stories — though particularly flagrant, illustrates just how entrenched and structural the problems are.

The skewed coverage of the Gaza crisis is merely the tip of the iceberg. One of the best studies of the British media’s servile attitude to warmongers was published by Manchester University Press in 2010. The book, Pockets of Resistance: British news media, war and theory in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, is based on a research project funded by the Economic Social and Research Council (ESRC). Studying coverage of Iraq War 2003 by the BBC, Channel 4, Sky News and seven national newspapers, the study’s findings were damning.

Continue . . . https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/manifesto-for-a-media-revolution-abf42a16c870

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Really?

Who woulda thunk it? :tonofbricks: :rolleyes:

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You guys that keep telling me the mainstream media is so credible don't act like you ever thunk anything about it.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're making stuff up.

You'll not find a single quote from me anywhere anytime that says the "mainstream" media is "credible.

In fact I often call them the "corrupt old media".

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Western ‘News’ Media as Tyranny’s Propagandists Hiding Reality

Posted on June 4, 2015 by Eric Zuesse.

1: The ugly realities are covered up, not covered; here’s an example of what you don’t see in the regime’s media about the people whom Americans’ tax dollars are bombing and killing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgB2bhFfEtM&app=desktop

2: The great investigative journalist John Pilger discusses the systematic truth-suppression:

http://johnpilger.com/articles/war-by-media-and-the-triumph-of-propaganda

3: The great investigative journalist Robert Parry’s latest take-down of America’s press is here:

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/06/02/neocon-fugitive-given-ukraine-province/

4: As usual, a great journalist gets fired for being too honest:

http://yournewswire.com/cnn-journalist-governments-pay-us-to-fake-stories-shocking-expose/

CONCLUSION:

Continue . . . http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/06/western-news-media-as-tyrannys-propagandists-hiding-reality.html

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

War by media and the triumph of propaganda

Why has so much journalism succumbed to propaganda? Why are censorship and distortion standard practice? Why is the BBC so often a mouthpiece of rapacious power? Why do the New York Times and the Washington Post deceive their readers?

Why are young journalists not taught to understand media agendas and to challenge the high claims and low purpose of fake objectivity? And why are they not taught that the essence of so much of what's called the mainstream media is not information, but power?

These are urgent questions. The world is facing the prospect of major war, perhaps nuclear war - with the United States clearly determined to isolate and provoke Russia and eventually China. This truth is being turned upside down and inside out by journalists, including those who promoted the lies that led to the bloodbath in Iraq in 2003.

The times we live in are so dangerous and so distorted in public perception that propaganda is no longer, as Edward Bernays called it, an "invisible government". It is the government. It rules directly without fear of contradiction and its principal aim is the conquest of us: our sense of the world, our ability to separate truth from lies.

The information age is actually a media age. We have war by media; censorship by media; demonology by media; retribution by media; diversion by media - a surreal assembly line of obedient clichés and false assumptions.

Continue . . . http://johnpilger.com/articles/war-by-media-and-the-triumph-of-propaganda

7. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Poncho ---

This is a serious question. Please accept it in the spirit in which I ask it:

Can you give me a very specific link / links where a person can receive "unbroken" news / information about the following:

1) One's own local / community (-ies);

2) One's own state of residence plus one's home state if he/she has moved from a different state(s) in recent years;

3) National (including "Business news / trends") news / information

4) Continental news / information of one's own continent.

5) International news / information---this would also include "in-depth" and/or "documentaries."

Also, can you recommend any particular periodicals such as magazines, quarterly journals, etc., that you find "reliable"?

Thank you for your effort(s) in relating your response(-es) to me on these.

If you wish, you may PM me about these.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Serious? Okay, no I can't. Why? Because it's not about finding reliable sources. Assume there are none. Assume there are only sources.

Verifying what those sources are saying with credible evidence in a historical context, or time line longer than the last news cycle as best we can without taking sides is what it's about, for me.

Knowing a bit about what propaganda is and how it's been used through out history and how it is being used today to sway public opinion and achieve what is called "consensus" comes in handy to.

#8 poncho, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2015
  9. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Thanks anyway my friend.