The Man Upstairs?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by menageriekeeper, Aug 1, 2004.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper
    Expand Collapse

I spent part of the weekend at a Braves game in Atlanta. While I was there(while the Mets were trying to bat) I got to noticing the converstation of the people sitting behind us. Now I'm not usually one to pay attention to conversations of people I don't know, but since these folks were so loud I didn't have much choice.

Anyway during the course of their conversation they mentioned that some relative had gotten right with "The Big Man". I was a tad startled by this as I was raised that euphemisms such as this were unrespectful. From other parts of their conversation they were clearly Christian folks and sincerely thankful for the change in their loved one.

I'd love to hear what others think about such language. Is it wrong or just unwise?

2. StefanM

StefanM
    Expand Collapse

I feel it is neither wrong nor unwise. I see nothing inherently disrespectful about using "the Big Man Upstairs." Most likely it's a cultural thing.

3. blackbird

blackbird
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

I was talking about this just the other day!

Suppose instead of me calling you by your first name---I started calling you "Hey, You!"

Folks, call "The Man Upstairs" by His first name! Jesus!

I mean, suppose you live in an apartment----and you're sitting there talking to your friend in your living room---and you start talking about "The Man Upstairs"---what will your friend think??

"Man! He's talking about Tom up on the Second Floor!"

4. mioque

mioque
    Expand Collapse

The most unusual euphemism I've ever heard for Jezus is; die jongeman aan dat lattenwerk (that young man on those planks).
    It was by the preacher during a sermon, during a funeral...

That preacher was an 80+ year old Roman Catholic priest. A former missionary, who had seen some of his colleagues get martyred in front his eyes and had been tortured because of his faith himself.
    He was pointing to a rather nice 17th century crucifix when he sad it.
    A very gifted preacher, allthough a bit liberal and rather Catholic in style.
    Anyway I decided it was better not to dispute his choiche of words.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black
    Expand Collapse

As long as it is an expression of intimacy or affection rather than disrespectful - and only the speaker would know that - it's OK. For instance, I often refer to the Lord as 'The Boss' (not a Springsteen allusion I assure you!); I consider this a 21st century equivalent of 'Lord'. (I also refer to the wife that way sometimes which can be a tad confusing!)

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. Michael52

Michael52
    Expand Collapse

A while back, I think on TBN, I heard a speaker say, "my God, is a really big God." The crowd in the TV studio applauded thunderously. I winced, as I'm apt to do when people use infantile sounding phrases with respect to God (I guess that is one of my pet peeves). Evidently, among that crowd, the phrase is evidently common and popular.

I wondered, if the speaker had said something like, "my Deity is a thoroughly huge Deity" or "my Holy Being is an especially vast Holy Being", would the crowd have reacted similarly. Or, would they have just stared, winced, booed or possibly lynched him! :eek:

I'm not sure exactly what point this makes, except the words like "culture", "fashion" and "relativism" come to mind. [​IMG]

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus
    Expand Collapse

I find it very disrespectful. Jesus didn't teach His disciples to pray by saying, "Hey, Pops". Moses didn't respond to the Creator with, "Wassup, Slick"

8. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan
    Expand Collapse

It is to me a total disrespect. He is God allmighty His name is Holy and we should tremble at His Holy name. He is the great I am. I can't believe a christian would find it okay to speak of Him in such a way.
    Bob

9. Matt Black

Matt Black
    Expand Collapse

And 'Abba' is a name at which we should tremble too? Don't get me wrong - there's a time and a place for 'shock and awe', His Transcendence, His Holiness (and I don't mean the Man in the White Hat in the Vatican), but there is also a time for intimacy, affection and familiarity, His Immanence.

Yours in Christ

Matt

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

12 Names of God and how to use them in your daily prayers

Adonai- Master, Lord of Hosts; Genesis 18:3
    This is the name you call upon to help you become a more obedient and faithful servant, submit unto HIS will, and be guided by the HOLY SPIRIT.

Elohim- Strong One, Almighty God ; Genesis 1:1
    This is the name you call upon to be strengthened with HIS power for HIS Glory, to have more insight, understanding, strength and courage.

El Shaddai- All Sufficient One, My Supply, Everlasting God; Genesis 17:1
    This is the name you call upon to help you commit, trust, rest, delight, and wait upon GOD because you know HIS grace will be sufficient..

Jehova - Self-existing One, Most High God; Genesis 2:7
    This is the name you call upon to Praise and Worship GOD for being ALL Loving, ALL Powerful, Omnipotent, Almighty, Trustworthy, Majestic, Supreme, Glorious, Holy Ruler of this Universe that GOD created. GOD is bigger than all my fears.

Jehova-Jireh- The Lord Will Provide; Genesis 22:14
    This is the name for GOD you call upon to be filled with more spiritual understanding, knowledge, and wisdom of HIS will, HIS ways and HIS word and to be guided by HIS eye and not HIS bridle and to always wait on HIS counsel. You will also use this name when requesting daily needs.

Jehova-Nissi- The Lord Our Banner, Victor in all Battles; Exodus 17;15
    This is the name you call upon for protection, and to fight your spiritual battles. NOTE: Fight the battle as if it all depends on you, but knowing that victory depends on HIM.

Jehova-Raah- The Lord My Good, Great, Chief Shepherd; Psalm23:1
    This is the name of GOD you call upon when asking your SHEPHERD for guidence and wisdom for the day. To lead and show you who and what to pray for today. (Family, others, me, job, country)

Jehova-Rapha- The Lord that Heals, Great Physician; Exodus 15:26
    This is the name you call upon when requesting that ailments, diseases, and sickness be rebuked. To heal mentally, morally, physically and spiritually.

Jehova-Shalom- The Lord of Peace, My Peace; Judges 6:24
    This is the name for OUR FATHER that you call upon requesting peace from anxieties, fears and worries.

Jehova-Shammah- The Lord is There, With US and In Us; Ezekiel 48:35
    This is the name you call upon when calling upon the HOLY SPIRIT to fill you with the fruits of the SPIRIT: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Goodness, Gentleness, Kindness, Faithfulness and Self Control. In addition, you are requesting to stay under the influence of the HOLY SPIRIT (drunk in the SPIRIT), to help energize and impact your witness.

Jehova-Tsidkenu- The Lord My Righteousness (Jesus); Jeremiah 23:5-6
    This is the name you call upon when requesting forgiveness of all sins and when repenting in the name of JESUS. To help guide you to forgive unconditionally ALL others. the way you were forgiven. To save you from willful, sensual, superstitious, and social sins, cleanse you so the enemy has no place to hold you, deliver you from all evil and wickedness and grant grace and strength to reist temptations and be born again in JESUS' ways.

Father Abba- Loving, Kind, Merciful, Perfect, Long Suffering; Romans 8:15
    You call upon this name when you want a very close, intimate, highly personal, relationship with YOUR FATHER. HIS loving discipline is fair and just and always for your best, whether you realize it or not. HE protects you, helps you, listens to you, understands you, corrects you, blesses you, and above all HE loves you unconditionally.

11. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper
    Expand Collapse

And all so much more respectful than the Man upstairs.

Do you mind if I give those to my Sunday School class?

12. RaptureReady

RaptureReady
    Expand Collapse

Amen brother. Is this name found in the Bible? I don't think so. Could it be taking the Lord's name in vain? This may well could be. I'm sure that the statement was harmless, but it was still disrespectful. Don't use code words to talk about God, use what the Bible has given us, God, LORD, Jehovah, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, etc.

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

Please do. I sent them to you in the format I had used for my church email group.

Diane

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K)
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

God is good enough to give us enough God honoruing names that we need NEVER refer to slang names for the High and Lofty One "whose name is Holy."

15. Karen

Karen
    Expand Collapse

True, and I don't use such slang, nor did my Baptist grandfather who was a deacon for thirty or forty years. However, I am not sure "the Man Upstairs" is a term worth getting upset about. New Christians have to learn. All Christians have to learn. We don't know anything about the people overheard saying this.
    What would have happened if the person overhearing had gently said, "Isn't the Lord Jesus wonderful?"

Karen

16. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan
    Expand Collapse

reffering to God as "the man up stairs" is very upsetting to me. I believe it to be a discrace we don't know what those people were talking about. I don't know what I would have done if I was in the situation having time to think about it I may have called them on (not being nasty to them) excpecially if they were Christians. Eather way it's not good what they said IMO.

17. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett
    Expand Collapse

How about daddy?

18. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan
    Expand Collapse

Abba/Daddy

19. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise
    Expand Collapse

I was in the mall the other day and since "Jesus" is actually a popular fad right now I saw some disgusting clothes and statues about Jesus. T shirts and hats read "Jesus is my Homeboy" and some of the statues were 100% blasphemy. Less and less of society has respect or fear of God and it isn't going to get better IMO.

Aloha.

20. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan
    Expand Collapse

Yea I saw that t shirt the other day. Infact it was at a christian day camp one of the kids had it on.
    Bob