1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Mark of a True Calvinist

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Revmitchell, Mar 18, 2013.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please clarify, Calvinism could be fallible???

2. Herald

Herald New Member

So, you do not see it cutting both ways? I do. Not a point of contention, Rev. I can disagree and still be a gentleman.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

Personally I like the terms monergist and synergist. They go right to the heart of the theological disagreement and avoid the Calvinist and Arminian terms.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One of my best friends in our church is a Calvinist. Just because he has yet to understand how God has implemented human choice into His plan of Grace does not make him any less a great God fearing Christian. He is a good man and a good brother in Christ!

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well there are always knuckleheads but it certainly is not equal. Especially on this board.

There are a couple of non cals that seem to be the primary arguers toward cals that are just weird and should really be ignored. They are not representative of mainline theology and really seem to fit into every false characterization by cals of non cals.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is the kinds comment I DESPISE. It is said to pick an arguement because you know that's just the crux of what a Calvinist believes.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes! Iy would make a lot more biblical sense to use those 2 terms instead of cal/arm/non cal, for really one is in the M camp, or the S camp!

One thing never could understand is why do others react to labels IF they are intentionally meant JUST to be used as a way to easily identify ones positions?

Almost like others think we are calling them a bad name!

I see them as being helpful to clarify where one stands...

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because they fail to accomplish this every time. I do not study systems and then pick form one. I study each individual separate from any man made systems.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well ALL would have to be in either the S or the M camps, correct?

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I think what might make cals a little defensive is because in the real world or in my world cal teaching is somewhat new to churches. I live in the Arminian bible belt, LOL. I myself came out of Arminianism. I was at one time a rank Arminian, then as time went by i began to see eternal security as some call it. In the early eighties i purchased a set of Spurgeon Sermons and by reading these sermon's i begain grow downward in root. When i try to discuss these docrines of grace with Arminians they just walk away. One reason is because they have been programed to avoid anything which they call false doctrine and another reason is to debate is arguing in their reasoning and most of them in my little world couldn't give you scripture as to why they believe anything. They believe what they do because it has been handed down through generations. Also i have been somewhat marked from them as being an apostate of the faith. I could write a book on what i've sacrificed to believe what i believe but i have no regrets.

#30 salzer mtn, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My experience since becoming a calvinist is that sometimes its lack of understanding what we mean by the DoG, at times its that others have a confusion on basic doctrines such as original sin and spiritual death, and sometimes its due to not really understanding that in Arminian theology proper, still are dead in sin, MUST have Grace of God applied first to have any saved!

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bub you are not going to pin me down to a system or camp. Period.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of this is pure baloney. It seems to be the stock answer for a calvinist. And it is just plain wrong. You guys are not the smartest guys in the room. This elitism is nothing but arrogance.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y is explaining his sincere beliefs & you are castigating him & telling you honestly. Then you go further by including all Calvinists & compound it by calling it arrogance......My My My!:laugh:

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His entire post is an insult

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I reject your answer. But that is between you & him.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you do. And this is the reason it is difficult for non cals to have reasonable discussions with you guys. Because you reject the idea that what was said is offensive. Not to mention it is just not true.

#37 Revmitchell, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now your using Non Cals as a identifier. LOL

BTW , just who are you guys.....Ive told you countless times I am not a Calvinist yet you lump me in to a Calvinist. By your own reckoning I should be then a Non-Calvinist. However have you ever looked at your own words & considered you just may be offensive to a Calvinist? That your own rejections of the DoG (ie Election & Particular redemption) are a barrier for any good Calvinist to have meaningful dialog with you?

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And not even willing to fess up to it.

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I have a question: Why are there so many Calvinism vs Arminianism threads and discussions here? And why do they get so heated? No one is going to change anyone else's mind, so what's the point?