1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Mark of a True Calvinist

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Revmitchell, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Herald

Herald New Member

Actually, they can play a part in someone changing their view. Remember that not everyone who reads these threads posts. There are more lurkers than participants. We may never know who was impacted by a thread.

As to why they are heated? Historically it has been one of the most hotly debated doctrines since the Reformation. Think about it. Monergism vs Synergism goes right to the heart of the Gospel. There is a lot at stake.

Of course, for some, it is not just emotion during vigorous debate that wanes afterwards. For some it is personal. It crosses the line between debate and sin. I have crossed that line before and have had to repent of it. Humbling to be sure.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats called denial. Ive seen that in ministering to alcoholics who are in their final stages, sitting in hospital beds (with there livers bloated out & jaundiced) telling me, "But nobody understands, --- I'm not an alcoholic!"

Then you come back & that guys dead & some other poor sot is replacing him telling ya, "But you dont understand, Im not alcoholic!"

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me ask you Tom, why did you start a thread criticizing Roman Catholics?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because they believe with all their heart that advances the gospel. :rolleyes:

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What time you on again...gotta catch the next show! :laugh:

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't paul get the same response by those who saw him perverting the gospel and making it stand for 'loose living?"

since paul understood the very framework of how God saves us, and my questions /answers are grounded in that, who is insulted by it?

Why aren't you offended by those who deny original Sin, and who exault the free will of man to a degree making it essential equal to Gods, that we somehow participate in our salvation by God?

#46 Yeshua1, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

That's not what I started the thread for. If you'll go back and read the OP, you'll find that my purpose was something else. Here is my opening paragraph from the OP:

"I am strongly opposed to Roman Catholicsim, and I have stated many of my reasons why, and why I could never be Roman Catholic. However, I have probably gone too far with some of my criticism. I say this because lately when I read some other posts on the RCC, I get kind of a bad feeling. I can't remember if I said the RCC is a false church teaching a false Gospel, but if I did I will stop saying it and if I didn't say it, I won't. Why am I making this decision? Because the way I feel about the RCC, I also feel about Calvinism. I am strongly opposed to TULIP, and I could never be Presbyterian. In fact, I am more opposed to TULIP than some features of the RCC. So, I'll just say that I believe the RCC teaches grave errors, and I also believe this about Calvinism."

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understood what your purpose was. Although the comparison to Calvinism is unclear.

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I'm just saying that I need to be more careful what I say about both, as I am equally opposed to both, but I don't want to be unfair, and I don't want the discussion to take on personal attacks or insults. I've read a lot of that here, and it shouldn't happen. I've been guilty of inappropriate comments myself, but I don't want to do that.

10. JB_Reformed Baptist

JB_Reformed Baptist New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree. Typically Armenians get defensive and resort to nit picking and ridicule etc. I think it's possibly due to their lack of proper education in the scriptures. :BangHead::BangHead:

#50 JB_Reformed Baptist, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  11. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Typical falsehood, insults, and pablum. Take it elsewhere.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i do think that calvinists tend to have a more systematic approach to the scriptures, to have a more defined theology though!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that one MUST be either S or M camp, no other options available to apply for!

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or you just don't consider either camp and live without it.

15. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Of course you think that.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't more calvinists hold to a more formal approach, such as creeds/confessions than non cals do though?

17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I wouldn't say that.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That statement is totally false. I believe strongly in doctrines of grace and sovereignty, and Arminians and Calvinists act exactly the same in being cordial during debates. They act the same in that both sides are JAs.

Two points to be made. One is a "lack of proper education in the Scriptures" is not a synonym for disagreeing with your opinion. Second, an Armenian is a citizen of Armenia. An Arminian is a follower of the idea of the free will of man being an element in coming to salvation. That does not mean an Arminian believes God has no part or is not sovereign.

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

:thumbsup:

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, Ann, and Tom are of the few that do not look to demonize or demean the opposing view in order to make a point. Thank you for your example to the others.