1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Meaning of John 15: Love or Doom for Believers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Jun 30, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

same here.
    ---

you didnt answer my other questions.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

"having all the cash and sex they want - and then still go to be with the Lord when they die?"

I don't know how to use the quote feature so I hope this is clear? How do you automatically equate cash with losing one's salvation?

3. gekko

gekko New Member

steven2006...

do you not now how to read inbetween the lines?

"having all the cash and sex they want" = selfishness.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

In my humble opinion, then I would just say selfishness, because I have met people that actually felt that money was evil. when actually it is the love of money that would be wrong.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

i was putting a description to it. no need to worry. :D
    ---

J.Jump... still waiting for an answer to my other questions.

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Read post #20 and you'll find your answers there.

7. gekko

gekko New Member

what are those consequences?

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Leave the sinner's prayer out (I myself never said it) and let's just say one is saved. How can "part" of a person go to the lake of fire? That is the first time I've ever heard of this. Either you are with Christ or you are eternally separated from God.

Where are you getting this "part" of a person going to the lake of fire from?

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The Bible speaks of it in several different ways. Condemnation, outer darkness, burned, no reigning with Christ, etc. Depends on what part of the Bible you are speaking about.

But basically they will forfeit their inheritance, will not be rewarded at the judgment seat, will not rule and reign with Christ, etc. But it is millenial in view, not eternal.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

from J.Jump. i.e. salvation of the soul Vs. salvation of the spirit. etc etc.

11. gekko

gekko New Member

ok. what are the eternal consequences?

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
    --To be a branch one had to be connected to the vine. Life came only from the vine. Even Jesus pronouced Judas as the son of perdition. He was never a branch. He never had life.
    1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
    --Where does it say a believer will be burned. It doesn't. This is speaking of the Judgement Seat of Christ, the judgement of all believers. What is judged is the believers works, not their salvation.
    "In any man's work shall be burned." A work is different than a person. He shall be saved so as by fire. This is a reference to a loss of reward. Though he may have lost all of his reward; though his reward may have burned in the fire, he still will be saved. His salvation cannot be lost. This passage strengthens OSAS, not weakens it.
    DHK

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, i have to say this is the whakiest thing I've heard from a Christian in a long time. First of all, the Bible does not clearly make a distinction between soul and spirit (I know some think it does, but at the very least, it's disputed).

Putting aside that issue (soul and spirit - which is another thread), why would God divide a person up, part to go to the Lake of Fire for eternal torment and part in heaven? This is impossible!! God created us whole human beings. What happens to one part, happens to all parts. The only division the Bible speaks of is the body separated from the immaterial self, but that body will be reunited with the immaterial self one day.

This reminds me of certain New Age beliefs (channeled by Jane Roberts in the Seth books) about the wise Oversoul being divided up into different souls that are born and then reincarnate and go back to the Oversoul. Or some Buddhist beliefs about how you suffer in your mind after death for karmic wrongs in order to be purified.

This is so bizarre and so not supported in scripture, I hardly know how to respond to it.

14. gekko

gekko New Member

yeah it is impossible. which is why i dont believe it. which is why i've never said i believe it. which is why im curious why you keep going on about it. unless you're addressing J.Jump?

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The Bible does teach a separation between the soul and the spirit. The Bible does talk about the salvation of the soul as a separate matter. However the salvation of the soul is not eternal in nature, the salvation of the spirit is. The salvation of the soul is whether or not you will have your life in the next age or whether you don't. The next age is the 1,000-year reign of Christ, not eternity as some say.

Your soul is not separated from anything else for eternity. How the loss of the soul works itself out during that 1,000-year period we are really given no indications that I'm aware of. Personally I hope that I don't have to find out from personal experience. And I hope none of you do as well.

But how can your soul be saved if you don't even believe it needs saving?

Lose your life in this age and you will find it in the next. Find/Save your life now and you will lose it in the next age.

Losing your life has to do with works, so we know right off the bat that eternal salvation is in view, but rather something else. I don't know how else you are going to get around that Scripture.

16. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Bible says they can be divided.

Man is a trichotomous being. We are three parts, just as God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The teaching that man is only two parts (body and soul or spirit (the life force)) is the teaching of natural evolution.

Passages in the Bible that talk about the saving of the soul talk about works and conintued faithfulness on the part of the saved person. Passages that talk about spiritual salvation (being born from above) talk about "believe" in the aorist tense and not based on works or continued faithfulness.

If you equate the spirit and soul and you look at these passages, then you will find contradictions and you will be having the Calvinist/Arminian debate, with both sides "proving" their viewpoint from the same book; the Bible.

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Now the only question is, can God raise up something that He has destroyed?

18. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

You're assuming your own philosophy and then trying to twist the Bible to conform to it. It doesn't work that way.

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Instead of making vague and general statements please show me where I have twisted Scripture. Please deal in specifics.

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Bible says they can be divided.