1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Mental Illness/Sin Threads

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Funny there is no doctor takes credit for the article. WHO or not.

The World Health Organization, but the way, sees no problem with prescribing medicines that have suicide listed in their side effects.

WHO does not hold the general public's good health as a prerogative.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The brain and the mind work together.
    However I was going back to a statement that S. Fred made when he said:
    I then posted W.H.O.'s list of mental disorders, some of which I listed for you. When you speak as an expert on the mind, then be willing to be honest enough to admit that you don't know all there is to know about the mind, and that it encompasses disorders that have physical symptoms.

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No he wouldn't because.....he is differentiating between "mental illness" and "neurological disorders"....hence the mind v. brain discussion....the thread is about mental illness, not neurological disorder, which your link distinguishes between in paragraphs 1 & 2:

Alzheimer disease and other dementias, cerebrovascular diseases including stroke, migraine and other headache disorders, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, neuroinfections, brain tumours, traumatic disorders of the nervous system such as brain trauma, and neurological disorders as a result of malnutrition.

Mental disorders, on the other hand, are "psychiatric illnesses" or diseases which appear primarily as abnormalities of thought, feeling or behaviour, producing either distress or impairment of function.

You guys are talking past each other because you are equivocating between neurological disorders and mental illnesses. DHK did you read your own link?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Absolutely. The key word is "disorder."

This is Fred's statement:
    The link I gave was simply a list of many "disorders" that originate from the brain. Call them neurological; call them mental; they still are disorders. And that is what Fred claimed that he had an answer for in the Word of God. This is a ludicrous statement.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is another one:

Symptoms and Treatments
    of Mental Disorders

By John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
    Jan. 6, 2012 ​
    The symptom lists below have been culled and summarized from current diagnostic criteria most commonly used in the United States by mental health professionals. The lists are divided into three broad categories: adult, childhood, and personality disorders; some disorders may fall under more than one category.
    Only an experienced mental health professional can make an actual diagnosis.

ADULT DISORDERS

Common Disorders

Dissociative Disorders

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/

There are many others listed. This is just a partial list.
    This is a site for mental illness.

6. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

If he did, then he is decidedly mistaken....I don't think he did. The key-word is really the qualifier "neurological".....People with alzheimer's parkinson's et. al. do not go to PSY docs....they go to neuro-surgeons/neuro-practitioners....I do not think he is equating the two....if he is....he is out of his mind. :laugh: Let's ask him.

7. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

And I think you will note that seizures, parkinson's, alzheimers....and the other neurological disorders you speak of are not there....You are focussing on the wrong word. The key word isn't "disorder" it's "mental" vs. "neurological"

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here are some of the others listed under Childhood Disorders:

Now, is mental retardation, and even stuttering in children caused by sinful actions and treatable by confession of sin? You are right, these are not the more obvious physical neurological disorders, but neither are they simple disorders treatable by confession of sin. Medications are quite in order in many of these ailments.

9. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Possibly.... with the exception of the mental retardation and stuttering that you mention. Please tell me that you would not drug a child in order to "treat" them for mental retardation or stuttering. Note: you may treat them for a disease/condition/illness which might have retardation or a stuttering tendency as one of it's symptoms but you would then be targetting something more concrete than merely low IQ as in the case of mental retardarion, or anxiousness in the case of stuttering. The retardation would not be the condition, but the symptom/result of something else.

With respect to stuttering:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stuttering/DS01027/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Intensive treatment generally includes exercises to reduce stuttering, opportunities to practice speaking in groups, and learning steps to reduce stress and anxiety associated with stuttering.

Although some medications have been tried for stuttering, no drugs have been proved yet to help the problem.

10. Steadfast Fred

For clarification, I am not equating those with Parkinsons as having mental problems. Parkinsons is a physical disease that affects the nerves, a part of the human body that surgeons are able to see and operate on.

DHK has been equating those with physical disorders as having mental disorders which is not the case.

11. Steadfast Fred

The Word of God has answers to all those "disorders". But hey, why should anyone depend on the Word of God. Right? After all, we have mind altering drugs that can control those problems.

Then again, maybe not seeing the amount of outbursts in these "mental Illness" threads.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

Really? Show me the passage that discusses Schizophrenia. I would like to see chapter, verse, and clear expositional exegesis with the authors intended context kept in tact.

13. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

You falsely accused me of being an expert on the mind when I simply quoted what an expository of Biblical words said about the mind. The mind is NON PHYSICAL, the brain is PHYSICAL.

Are you able to explain your thoughts? Are your thoughts physical? Does your brain think? If your brain thought, you would be the prisoner of your brain.

We will never know all there is to know about the mind...and how the mind interfaces with the brain and I never claimed to be an expert on the mind. All I am saying is that the brain is NOT the mind...the mind being non physical and the brain being a physical organ of the body.

The WHO list of mental disorders/illnesses have NOTHING to do with neurological (Physical) diseases, such as Parkinson's disease, epilepsy, strokes, MS, or Alzheimer's disease.

#73 Fred's Wife, May 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  14. Steadfast Fred

One of the biggest signs of so-called schizophrenia is extreme fear.

The Bible says Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace because he trusteth in Thee.

Of course, who would want to trust in the Lord? Right? I mean, we have drugs that can keep those voices from telling us to fear anything and everything.

Inappropriate laughter
    Hostility
    Speaking in a strange manner unlike themselves.

Sound more like demon possession to me.

Another sign of schzophrenia? Social Isolation or withdrawal.

Really? I guess the psychiatrists of today would have diagnosed Jesus as being schizophrenic since he often went off by Himself for solitude.

#74 Steadfast Fred, May 15, 2012
  15. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I am not getting the complaint here: Are you suggesting that some form of mind/body substance Dualism is an unsound viewpoint? With respect, the inestimable Rene' Descartes was quite within reason to embrace Dualism, at least on some level as Substance Dualism is the philosophy most consistent with a Religious World-view....I think if you look into it most Modern Christian Philosophers are substance Dualists in some way or another....(nothing "ancient" about it, except that the patently obvious has been understood for millennia). The alternative is a Materialistic View not particularly consistent with Theology.

If there is no validity to Dualism then Romans 12:2
    King James Version (KJV)

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Would read something to the effect of:
    Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the miraculous rearrangement of various particles of brain matter, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable and perfect, will of God.

#75 HeirofSalvation, May 15, 2012
  16. Steadfast Fred

Don't be surprised if they use that in the next new Bible.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The obvious error I see here is the line of reasoning that says the mind is non-physical, that thoughts are the product of the mind and not the brain.

I see this as an obvious error because if it were true, then medications would have no effect on thoughts; and yet, medication is used successfully to change thoughts and behaviors.

The obvious linkage between brain and mind is inescapable. Changes to brain structure, such as from trauma (think vehicle accidents, sports injuries, and military-related TBI) have an effect on the way the brain works, and subsequently have an effect on the way people think and behave.

The only point where I agree with the "sin" part of this conversation, is where we are referring to those that willingly partake of medications to change cognitive behaviors; i.e., makes them physically "feel good" or "helps them get through the day."

18. jim62

jim62 New Member

Now I know why people are going to hell, because God's people are hung up on a talk board, taking about something they don't agree on. Proverbs 26:11. As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Produce a picture of a soul.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Stupidity is a mental condition, too.

The Bible really does have a cure for that one.

Perhaps you ought to look into that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.