1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Message" Bible ???

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Spirit and Truth, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh.

I had assumed the best and thought you had merely made a mistake. Now I see that you intentionally changed the subject so as to avoid the fact that you were wrong in your assertion that someone who casts our demons must quote scripture.

Unfortunately that has been your pattern in this discussion. You keep shifting subjects when confronted with biblical evidence that contradicts your views. It is a virtue to admit when you are wrong, but it is sin to ignore biblical truth.

It is not an ad hominem, but rather a summation of the basic difference between us: I (and most other people here) interpret scripture in context, while you seem to be fixated upon words without reference to context.

Your inability to understand and apply the basic language skill of context makes me very skeptical of your claimed ability to study the original languages – especially since Hebrew is so incredibly context-dependant.

It’s more of your misrepresentation…

If you look at it in context, I was responding to this allegation:

You made an allegation that “people” (who?) said that the “Word” (are you talking about Jesus or the scripture?) was “not important” (who said this?) in spiritual combat.

This allegation is patently false.

I responded by pointing out the utter hypocrisy of using the name “Spirit and Truth” since you won’t be truthful and honest in this discussion.

These false allegations against those who oppose your mistaken assumptions are repugnant to Christ and only undermine the Kingdom of God.

3. Spirit and Truth

Originally posted by Spirit and Truth:

And of course, what did Jesus do when He encountered the enemy [not his minions] head on. He spoke the Word as it is written.

S&T stated earlier:
    Not embarrasing me at all. I was discussing Jesus going head to head with the adversary in that quote.[he is, after all, the leader of the minions

BB:

Oh.

I had assumed the best and thought you had merely made a mistake. Now I see that you intentionally changed the subject so as to avoid the fact that you were wrong in your assertion that someone who casts our demons must quote scripture.

S&T:

The point that I was trying to make, was that if you are going to go into combat, you had better know the enemy and his ways. How is this accomplished? By studying and knowing the Word AS it is written. The message falls miserably short in that area, which by the way was the point of this discussion although many want to get away from dealing with this.

BB:
    Unfortunately that has been your pattern in this discussion. You keep shifting subjects when confronted with biblical evidence that contradicts your views. It is a virtue to admit when you are wrong, but it is sin to ignore biblical truth.

S&T:

More accusations...sigh. Let's get back to the point:

A: Does the message use a term to supposedly describe Heaven and earth that is used by satanists and wiccans etc to conjur up demonic forces and actually in some beliefs means Heaven and hell?

YES or NO

B: Would this not adulterating the words of Jesus?

Yes or NO

S&T stated earlier:

Debate 101:

Ad hominem attacks are not a substitute for a well constructed rebuttal.

BB:
    It is not an ad hominem, but rather a summation of the basic difference between us: I (and most other people here) interpret scripture in context, while you seem to be fixated upon words without reference to context.

Your inability to understand and apply the basic language skill of context makes me very skeptical of your claimed ability to study the original languages - especially since Hebrew is so incredibly context-dependant.

S&T:

Please do not make me go back and quote all of the times that you have attacked my education, knowledge of language, etc to try and destroy my credibility while not addressing the subject. To be clear once again, it is not words, but EXACT phrases that have been used by occultists for hundreds if not thousands of years to conjur demonic forces.

BB:

These false allegations against those who oppose your mistaken assumptions are repugnant to Christ and only undermine the Kingdom of God.

S&T:

More of trying to undermine my credibility while avoiding the point of the topic. I will let Christ judge who is repugnant to Him. I did not personally attack the translator of the message paraphrase. I pointed out what I believe to be dangerous phrases used in the writing. It is my feeling that using a text that has been adulterated with occultic terms undermines the TRUE Kingdom.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Knowledge is certainly important, but mere knowledge will not help you against the evil one.

The power of Christ is given directly to the believer through the indwelling Holy Spirit. The proper understanding (that is, the understood message) of the written word of God provides support and training for living the Christian life – which may include confronting the powers of evil.

You can’t really know the written word unless you understand it. That’s what multiple translations, paraphrases and Bible teaching help us to do. This process can be augmented by the use of “The Message”.

It was written primarily in Hebrew and Koine Greek. Are you advocating that we only use the scripture in the original languages? I doubt it. But if you allow the use of translations, then you can’t say that you are using the scripture as it was written.

Not really. It reads well and brings out some nuances of the Greek that don’t easily come out in more traditional translations. As I’ve pointed out more than a few times, I have a friend who is very comfortable with classical Greek (he reads it with only occasional use of a lexicon) and has a good grasp of the nuances of the Greek language in that era. He has been very impressed with “The Message”.

Yep. You retreated from that discussion rapidly and started posting all sorts of allegations that “The Message” was somehow a “new age” or occult-influenced translation/paraphrase because you don’t seem to understand the concept of context very well.

The real issue is not whether it is an accusation, but if it is a true analysis of your discussion style. I think everyone can see that it is true.

If you are going to make this a yes or no question, I’d have to say no.

The Message is using words, not a “term”. It is clear from the context.

(I think this question assumes a yes answer to the previous question.)

If the meaning of the words is different (which they are), then it is NOT adulterating the words of Christ.

“attacked my education” – I may be wrong, but I don’t think I have attacked your ‘education’ since I don’t know anything about it.

“attacked my … knowledge of language” – You have repeatedly demonstrated that you don’t understand/apple the fundamental reading comprehension skill of interpreting words in context. You claimed to have become concerned about “The Message” while working through the scripture in the original languages, but I have to question whether or not you are competent in the original languages since translation from them to English required a keen sense of reading comprehension. Moreover, the Hebrew syntax is so loosely structured and vowels were not recorded in the ancient texts, that translation from Hebrew to English depends to an extraordinary degree on context alone.

“destroy my credibility” – You’ve destroyed your own credibility by your refusal to deal with the evidence provided by a number of people in this thread. But you have the opportunity to win your credibility back by simply learning/applying the skill of reading words in context.

“while not addressing the subject” – I have spent much of my time addressing the intended subject, but I finally realized that the evidence that I and other have provided won’t help you until you start applying some fundamental language skills and dealing with the evidence and the arguments of others honestly.

But the meanings are different. It is abundantly clear from the context. A person reading those passages in context will understand what is meant. I happen to know way too much about self-styled satanism and wiccan spells/rituals and the context of usage of these words in no way lends itself to misinterpretation.

(I’ve noticed you don’t have a problem quoting copiously from Web sites that promote occultism. If you are so concerned about those “exact phrases” having some sort of power, why are you spreading them across Baptistboard?)

I’m not trying to undermine you, I’m warning you about making false allegation about me and others in this discussion. I have demonstrated what you have done is previous posts.

Notice that I said your false allegations are repugnant, not you. (Please try to be a careful reader! It would help our discussion tremendously.) And we don’t have to wonder if false allegations are repugnant – the scripture teaches over and over not to bear false witness.

But you have made false allegations about your brothers and sister in Christ in this thread and have made a false attack on “The Message”.

The phrases only have power if there is an intent to communicate that occultic message with them. To believe that the phrases themselves have intrinsic power is to adopt a magical (nonChristian) worldview.

But since your “feeling” is mistaken, “The Message” does not undermine the true Kingdom of God.

5. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you did accuse him of purposely using occultic terms to water down and alter the word of God.

6. Spirit and Truth

I have decided that I will no longer answer attacks or the projecting of behavior of others on me by anyone. The point of this topic is are there occultic phrases in this translation and how were they derived from the original language texts.

S&T stated earlier:

AS it is written.

BB:

It was written primarily in Hebrew and Koine Greek. Are you advocating that we only use the scripture in the original languages? I doubt it. But if you allow the use of translations, then you can't say that you are using the scripture as it was written.

S&T:

For the record, let us also note that part of Daniel, Ezra, a passage in Jeremiah, and a partial phrase in Genesis is written in Aramaic. Also many of the words in the Koine Greek text are of Aramaic origin:

Abba, Akeldama, mammonas, Dalmanoutha, rhabboni, satanas, eloi, lama, sabachthani, ephphatha, gabbatha, Gethsemane, Golgotha, Kephas, korban, talitha, koumi, and many more. It should also be noted that there are also words of Hebrew origin in the Greek.

Let's also remember that the Name of Jesus [an english transliteration from the Greek Iesous] was originally written in the OT in Hebrew as Yehoshua. The point that I am making, is that in order to translate biblical texts properly, one would have to be proficient in Hebrew, Aramaic,Koine Greek, and possibly Syriac [an Aramaic dialect]. With that aside, can you or your friend tell me how "as above, so below" was "translated" from the koine Greek. I am very interested to hear this explanation.

S&T stated earlier:

The message falls miserably short in that area?

BB stated:

Not really. It reads well and brings out some nuances of the Greek that don't easily come out in more traditional translations. As I've pointed out more than a few times, I have a friend who is very comfortable with classical Greek (he reads it with only occasional use of a lexicon) and has a good grasp of the nuances of the Greek language in that era. He has been very impressed with "The Message".

S&T:

I am anxiously awaiting your/ his translation presentation on this. At that time I will decide whether it is necessary for me to present one as well.

7. Spirit and Truth

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fine. Just make sure you don’t attack others or misrepresent them and we’ll all get along just fine.

Actually, the point of this thread is that you allege that there are occultic phrases in “The Message”, but others do not agree with your assessment based on the way the words are expressed and their meaning in the context of “The Message”.

As it has been pointed out previously, “The Message” does not claim to be a word-for-word “tight” translation of the scripture, but rather a thought-by-thought dynamic translation/paraphrase of the original texts in modern English.

You’re not telling me anything new… That’s why I wrote, “It was written primarily in Hebrew and Koine Greek. Only a relatively small portion was written in other languages.

Nope. If you have skills in Greek, you can properly translate Greek into English. If you skills in Hebrew, you can properly translate Hebrew into English. And so on and so on… Certainly knowledge of other languages is very helpful, but not necessary.

It’s not a literal translation, but rather expresses the thought behind that portion of the model prayer in a very simple manner (in keeping with the context of Jesus’ teaching of praying simply).

It’s a question based on mistaken assumptions. No one has alleged that it is a traditional translation, so your request is irrelevant.

9. Spirit and Truth

BB:

Nope. If you have skills in Greek, you can properly translate Greek into English. If you skills in Hebrew, you can properly translate Hebrew into English. And so on and so on? Certainly knowledge of other languages is very helpful, but not necessary.

S&T:
    Mr Peterson translated a complete bible did he not? Therefore he should be credible in all languages to do this, correct?

BB:

It's a question based on mistaken assumptions. No one has alleged that it is a traditional translation, so your request is irrelevant.

S&T:
    You are adamantly saying that these phrases should be coming out ot the mouth of Jesus but you refuse to or can not demonstrate from textual evidence why. That would make this choice of phrases a "guess", and I fail to see the scholarship in that. Sorry.

10. Spirit and Truth

I was informed in an earlier post that the message reads well and brings out some nuances of the Greek that don't easily come out in more traditional translations. Because of this statement, I set out to find what some of these nuances might be:

Ephesians 6: 11- 18

Message [paraphrase]

So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so that you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all of the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation are more than words.Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray long and hard. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

Question:

Please list all of the weapons that God gave us to do battle with and any definitions of their purpose from the above text.

Next is the NIV which is represented as a dynamic equivalent translation:

NIV

11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

Question:

Please list all of the weapons that God gave us to do battle with and any definitions of their purpose from the above text.

Next is the literal translation which is promoted as a word for word:

Ephesians 6 LITV [Literal]

11 Put on all the armor of God, for you to be able to stand against the wiles of the Devil,
    12 because wrestling against flesh and blood is not to us, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world's rulers, of the darkness of this age, against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenlies.
    13 Because of this, take up all of the armor of God that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having worked out all things, to stand.
    14 Then stand firm, "having girded your loins about with truth" and having put "on the breastplate of righteousness," Isa. 11:5; 59:17
    15 and having shod the feet with the preparation of the "gospel of peace." Isa. 52:7
    16 Above all, taking up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the darts of the evil one being kindled.
    17 Also, take "the helmet of salvation," and the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God; Isa. 59:17 LXX-Isa. 11:4; MT-Isa. 49:2; LXX and MT-Hos. 6:5
    18 through all prayer and petition, praying at all times in the Spirit, and watching to this same thing with all perseverance and petition concerning all the saints.

Question:

NASB

Eph 6:11
    Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

Eph 6:12
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Eph 6:13
    Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Eph 6:14
    Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,

Eph 6:15
    and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE;

Eph 6:16
    in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

Eph 6:17
    And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Eph 6:18
    With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

S&T:

Feel free to try this quick and easy comparison with your favorite translation.

11. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I rather like the Message translation here. For ehat it is worth, the idea behind the sword, breastplate, armour, and so on makes more sense to 21st century English speaking people when translated it that way.

12. Spirit and Truth

Scott stated:

I rather like the Message translation here. For ehat it is worth, the idea behind the sword, breastplate, armour, and so on makes more sense to 21st century English speaking people when translated it that way.

S&T:

With all of the recent releases [in the last ten years] of movies that have swords, helmets, shields, etc, I would personally find it hard to believe that there would be anyone [even kids] that would not know what they are. This passage is incomplete in as much as it does not clearly name the weapons and any applications. God meant what He said.

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Message may not be as detailed in naming the weapons, but he does a good job in pointing out what their purpose is. Having detailed head knowledge about the weapons does not mean that you know how to use them. You have to rely on the Holy Spirits leading and teaching for that. Besides that, nobody here has advocated using only the Message and nothing else. It's just one more tool that we can use.

14. Spirit and Truth

Scott stated:

For ehat it is worth, the idea behind the sword, breastplate, armour, and so on makes more sense to 21st century English speaking people when translated it that way.

TC added:

The Message may not be as detailed in naming the weapons, but he does a good job in pointing out what their purpose is.

S&T:

Let's break this down a little further.

Ephesians 6 LITV [Literal]

We are told to put on ALL of the armor:

11 Put on all the armor of God, for you to be able to stand against the wiles of the Devil,

13 Because of this, take up all of the armor of God that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having worked out all things, to stand.

We are told of the "Belt" of truth and the "Breastplate" of righteousness:

14 Then stand firm, "having girded your loins about with truth" and having put "on the breastplate of righteousness,"

To wear the "shoes" of the gospel of peace:

15 and having shod the feet with the preparation of the "gospel of peace."

Most important is the "shield" of faith and we are told why:

16 Above all, taking up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the darts of the evil one being kindled.

To put on the "helmet":

17 Also, take "the helmet of salvation,"

And to use the "sword" which is the Word:

and the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God;

Now, let's look at the message:

So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so that you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all of the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation are more than words.Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's word is an indispensable weapon.

Questions:

So what are the weapons and is it signifigant? Can it be the helmet of truth instead, and why is helmet important being used along with salvation? Which of the six that he named is important above all and why? Can we use the peace to stop the fiery darts? If our soldiers were briefed like this before battle they would be set up for a massacre. Is it any less important when battling in the spiritual realm? [this is a key scripture]

I am considering reducing this translation from it's previously stated "butterknife" status, to that of the plastic knife that you recieve in pre-packaged box lunch. [the one that breaks when used] [​IMG]

15. ScottEmerson

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all of the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation are more than words.Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's word is an indispensable weapon.

--------

What great words! If a person was to take these words to heart, I cannot see how their response to evil would be anything less than if he or she were to take the KJV's words to heart. Both of them are wonderful reminders of standing up against evil and using God's power and Word to help us in the fight.

16. Spirit and Truth

Let's look at the predicted coming of the "antichrist" and the relevence of accurate descriptive information:

You'll also remember that I told you the Anarchist is being held back until just the right time. That doesn't mean that the spirit of anarchy is not now at work. It is, secretly and underground. But the time will come when the Anarchist will no longer be held back, but will be let loose. But don't worry. The Master Jesus will be right on his heels and blow him away. The Master appears and--puff!--the Anarchist is out of there. The Anarchist's coming is all Satan's work. All his power and signs and miracles are fake,

S&T:

Anarchist versus anti-christ - Webster's Third International Dictionary, defines anarchism briefly but accurately as, "a political theory opposed to all forms of government and governmental restraint and advocating voluntary cooperation and free association of individuals and groups in order to
    satisfy their needs."

New Webster Handy College Dictionary, define anarchism as, "the political doctrine that all governments should be abolished."

So then, can we assume that all government will be abolished by the coming of the anarchist? Is this how we will know him?

2 Thessalonians 2 LITV

6 And now you know the thing holding back, for him to be revealed in his time.
    7 For the mystery of lawlessness already is working, only he is holding back now, until it comes out of the midst.
    8 And then "the Lawless One" will be revealed, "whom" "the Lord" "will consume" "by the spirit of His mouth," and will bring to nought by the brightness of His presence. Isa. 11:4
    9 His coming is according to the working of Satan in all power and miraculous signs and lying wonders,

S&T:
    So the above text defines him using terms as "the lawless one", and lawlessness, and the KJV uses iniquity. Why is this important?

And then there is this to ponder:

10 and in all deceit of unrighteousness in those being lost, because they did not receive the love of the truth in order for them to be saved.
    11 And because of this, God will send to them a working of error, for them to believe the lie,

S&T:

In order to know the truth, we need a text that is descriptively accurate in nature to study to show ourselves approved.

17. Spirit and Truth

The Message versus traditional translations:

Let's use an analogy. You know that you eventually are going to be in an extremely tough competition, and realize the importance of training using proven methods. One day you meet a guy who convinces you that he has a better more modern way to train. He invites you to his facility, and assures you that you will use only the best equipment, eat the best food, and use the best training techniques coupled with the most accurate up to date information.

When you get to his place, he hands you weights that are much lighter than you are used to working with. He explains that it is easier for you to use this method versus the traditional method that so many have had success with, and not to worry, while reminding you of the fact that he has credentials. That evening you sit down for dinner expecting milk, meat and other nutritious foods, and instead, he places a plate of cotton candy in front of you and explains that this is sweeter, that you won't need a sharp knife to cut it, and that it is much more "exciting" to eat. After doing this for a while, you stop questioning him and even begin to like it and even tell your friends about it. It is not very long, and then one day suddenly, competition day arrives. Midway through the competition it becomes painfully evident that you do not have the strength and ability to cross the finish line because of the errant training techniques and the poor nutrition.

18. Spirit and Truth

Understanding intended meaning in translations:

Main Entry: anarchist
    Pronunciation: 'a-n&r-kist
    Function: noun
    Date: 1678
    1 : one who rebels against any authority, established order, or ruling power
    2 : one who believes in, advocates, or promotes anarchism or anarchy; especially : one who uses violent means to overthrow the established order

Main Entry: Antichrist
    Pronunciation: 'an-ti-"krIst
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English anticrist, from Old English & Late Latin; Old English antecrist, from Late Latin Antichristus, from Greek Antichristos, from anti- + Christos Christ
    Date: before 12th century
    1 : one who denies or opposes Christ; specifically : a great antagonist expected to fill the world with wickedness but to be conquered forever by Christ at his second coming
    2 : a false Christ

anarchism   noun
    the political belief that there should be little or no formal or official organization to society but that people should work freely together

anarchist   noun [C]
    1 a person who believes in anarchism:
    He was a poet, an anarchist and a vegan.
    an anarchist group/slogan/bookshop

2 DISAPPROVING someone who wishes to destroy the existing government and laws:
    anarchist tendencies/demonstrations

Antichrist   noun [C]
    originally the main enemy of Jesus Christ who was expected to rule the world until Jesus Christ's Second Coming, now any enemy of Jesus Christ or the Christian religion

S&T:

In order to defend, you must first know your adversary. To accept a guessed substitute for the intended meaning of the "author" is a recipe for disaster.

19. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

It should be remembered The Message is a paraphrase and I would say not a good one. From what I have read, the old Living Bible is more accurate. That is not to say one cannot get some benefit from The Message but it should be checked with a more rigid translation such as the KJV,NKJV, ESV, NIV, NASB, HCSB ETC..

Anarchist in place of AntiChrist is one ofThe Message many failures. I understand the reasoning in that anarchist can mean one who rebels against any authority, established order, or ruling power. I am assuming Peterson used Anarchist since it shows that antiChrists oppose the sovereignty and authority of God and the fact in 1 John the antichrists were lawless people with no respect for the Law of God. Anarchist still lacks the accuracy of antiChrist however in referring to those people.

20. ScottEmerson

The problem is that in the passage mentioned, Antichrist isn't to be found, even in the literal version. So why make a false comparison? The word used to translate "the lawless one" and "Anarchist" is anamos, which literally means "a violater of the law." We see the word in Mark 15:28, where it speaks of Jesus being numbered with the "anamos". Why would it be said that Jesus was numbered with the Antichrists? That's just bizarre.

Webster's 1998 Dictionary defines anarchy as a state of lawlessness. So "Anarchist" isn't as bad a definition as you make it out to be, ESPECIALLY considering "AntiChrist" is nowhere in the Greek text in question.

From the Message translation in I John 2:

Children, time is just about up. You heard that Antichrist is coming. Well, they're all over the place, antichrists everywhere you look. That's how we know that we're close to the end.

Seems like Peterson doesn't have a hard time with the word Antichrist, huh?

Aren't there more important things for you to do instead of working (many would say failing) to disredit a translation that God is using to win the hearts of young people across the nation?