1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Message" revisited

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Boanerges, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Since some of the earlier posts in this forum about the Message, it seems that there are others who have been looking into it also. I have been reading this series on the net:

It starts here:

http://www.seekgod.ca/messageoverview.htm

2. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Do we have to go through another 20 pages over this issue again? We know already, you hate the Message...You really hate the message. I don't care for it.

3. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I don't hate the message, but the apologists for it do irk me, because it is not a Bible.I thought that the series was an interesting read, so I posted here so that others might read it. Are you trying to moderate me through subtle intimidation?

Save your breath. :cool:

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I find it interesting that the last time I checked Parallel Bibles on CBD, which was only a few days ago, several of them have The Message as one of the Bible versions. This certainly implies that The Message is a regular version and not just a paraphrase. I think it's even more than a paraphrase - I think it is a commentary as well.

5. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I don't really want to get into a debate over the message and I will say that I don't read one regularly or teach from one, but I will add my observations.

As a youth pastor I saw several young people come into contact with the Message. They tend to like how its presented (usualyl at hip concerts or conferences) and are amazed at its modern language.

I have always found these moments to be a great time to talk about the differences between a version and a paraphrase and the value of Bible study. If anything, I have found the Message to be a springboard into a healthy understanding of the Bible for many of my students. I honestly can't think of any of my students that ever stuck with the Message, they went pretty quickly to a translation with a new found love for studying the Bible.

Now, in response to anyone that might feel the urge to use a Message as a good student Bible for your youth ministry I would add that there are generally good student Bibles in just about any translation you feel lead to use. The same excitement I've seen about the Message, I have seen with others when they were appealing to students in their presentation, their helps, and even the aspect of everyone having the same Bible.

Just some thoughts.

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Originally posted by Lagardo
    From what I know about the history of The Message and the background of Eugene Peterson, I have found The Message to be, NOT a springboard ot a healthy understanding of the Bible, but a springboard right into false teachings and into the occult!

8. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Shall we log that under your mile long list of unfounded claims?

9. standingfirminChrist

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

10. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

The Message - Great Read - Yes

Is it Scripture - No

Should it be taught as Scripture - No

Why ?

Because it leaves room for doubt and a new Christian be it old or young is impressionable and we dont want to make the impression that God is unsure of certain things......

Example is Romans 1:27 "The Message" Leaves room to be homosexual as long as you love each other. Where as "KJV" or any other version you like doesn't leave any room for debate.

11. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

You are doing such a great job of logging, keep up the good work!! [​IMG]

12. DesiderioDomini

Actually, I dont think I am doing a good job at all......I dont have the time to log all those....that would take a staff of 400 to handle that workload.

13. standingfirminChrist

Here is what many call the Lord's Prayer. Actually, it is not the Lord's Prayer. It is what should be correctly called 'The Model Prayer.'

King James Version:
    Matthew 6:9-13 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

The Message:
    9With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
    Reveal who you are.
    Set the world right;
    Do what's best--
    as above, so below.
    Keep us alive with three square meals.
    Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
    Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
    You're in charge!
    You can do anything you want!
    You're ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Huh????

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

You appear to be unarmed

15. DesiderioDomini

Unarmed? No, I'm not carrying a weapon.

I find this ironic, since you are unarmed (with an answer) every time you are asked a question about the KJV.

16. standingfirminChrist

My wife holds the KJV dear to her heart and has been instructed by its very words to avoid foolish questions.

17. DesiderioDomini

Interesting, you and Joseph Smith agree!

18. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Where are all of the Message apologists now? hmmmmm

It seems like there was a bunch of them on the last thread shouting at me.....oh well :confused:

19. DesiderioDomini

And there has never been a better example of this than you have exhibited over the last few days.

really, who are you kidding?

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Boanerges said:

Since some of the earlier posts in this forum about the Message

Does your pony do any other tricks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.