1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The message this past Sunday

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did you our your pastor preach on this past Sunday?

Scriptural reference

Message Title?

Note - as time goes on - this thread was started just after the SCOTUS opinion of legalizing immoral marriage

2. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Since You Asked:

The church of which I'm a member ( www.lighthouseministries.org ), our "Lead Pastor" John Yancey had intended to continue his series on Exodus & present "The Call of Moses, Ex. 3 & 4. Our bulletins even contained his "Fill-In-The-Blanks" outline that he usually presents in conjunction with the power point presentation.

But instead, he decided to make some brief "Church Family Time" comments about how we as God's children ought to evaluate the SCOTUS's recent decision.

Well, his "brief comments " lasted over 30 minutes.

I'm normally not a very outwardly emotional person, but all during his "comments," (& even now as I'm posting this) my eyes were filled with tears over what may eventually happen to Christians and/or Christian ministries in this "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave."

One thing he stressed was that we still need to honor Christ in our reactions to this and/or our responses to "others" about this because some of our members may have a g@y relative in their family (I have a niece that is) and/or in their "circle of friends/fellow workers."

He pointed out what the NT said about h0m0seXuaL1ty not being "the unpardonable sin."

I Corinthians 6:9-11 lists several "unrighteous life styles," and only one is specifically a g@y ("effeminate"). But what does 6:11 tell us? Paul states that "such were some of you" but now "ye are washed ...."

So there is "hope" for these kinds of people.

Moreover, he also pointed out that Canada already has laws that essentially make any "public conversations" on these matters "hate speeches."

We have a missionary family from our church who lives in Alberta and ministers to what Canadians call "First Nation People." We call them "Native Americans." Anyhow, he says that he has to be "careful" how he publicly approaches this subject because there just might be someone overhearing what he says and thus charge him with a "hate crime." The consequences of his trial may mean that he might be imprisoned, fined, have his entire ministry shut down, and possibly even forced to leave Canada permanently.

Will this same thing happen to preachers, Christian schools and colleges and other forms of Christian ministries here? Possibly.

Then we spent the final minutes in prayer for our nation and for those who are involved in this lifestyle.

No, it wasn't a "feel-good" Sunday AM service, but it was one that challenged us because it made us realize that, like Isaiah did in 6:5: "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips." :tear::tear:

#2 wpe3bql, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This past week and one more early next month we have 200+ kids living on our campus associated with Children's Evangelism Fellowship (CEF). They participated in an evangelical event called "Flood Philly" yesterday.

Although the topic was mentioned briefly, our sermon was not about that.
    I personally was dreading hearing a sermon about it - I've read enough and don't need to hear more.

The pastor spoke about vomit. The kid's loved it.

Yes, you read it right, the sermon was centered around Proverbs 26:11

Like a dog returning to his vomit is a fool reverting to his folly.
    Proverbs 26:11 (LEB)

The pastor contrasted foolishness with wisdom as described in the book of Proverbs.

Rob