1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The MLB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The MLB or Modern Language Bible is also called The New Berkeley Version in Modern English . I first bought the New Testament in the late 80's . The whole Bible version has come apart at the seams , but I can't bear to part with it . Gerrit Verkuyl was the editor-in-Chief . Before the NIV made its appearance I thought this Bible would be the new standard . I was wrong . It is a good version with some quirks . Some of the renderings are odd . The footnotes are kind of preachy -- but have a charm all their own . I went to a seminar hosted by Dave Hunt years ago and he rolled his eyes at it -- indicating his distaste . All in all it is rather conservative and evangelical . However it does not qualify as a "modern language Bible" ( nor did it deserve that title 27 years ago ) .

I keep a lot of lists . Among them are the references where I had compared the ESV , NAS , Niv , MLB , and the Weymouth . I will share some of the references where the MLB is more gender inclusive than the NIV . I do not believe that the MLB was in the least affected by feminism , by the way .

Luke 6:22,26 ;11:10 ,24 ;11:44 ; 17:23 ;18:25 ;20:47 ;21:17

John 12:32

Acts 2:7 ;4:6 ; 17:27 ;19:26,29 ; 20:5,26

Ro. 13:2

1 Cor. 3:12,13 ;9:19 ; 10:28

2 Cor. 2:10 ;4:2 ; 5:11 ; 8:15 ;12:17

Gal. 1:16 ;2:6 ,16

Phil. 1:27 ; 2:8 ; 3:2

Col. 2:11 ; 2:19 ;3:13

1 Thess. 4:6 ; 4:13

1 Tim. 1:3 ; 2:6 ; 6:5,9

2 Titus 1:4 ; 3:2

Heb. 9:24 ; 12:3,14 ; 13:17

James 2:16 ; 5:7 ,16

1 Pet. 1:17 ; 2:8 ,13 ,15 ,16 ,19 ; 4:11

2 Pet. 2:17 ; 3:7 ,17

1 John 2:16

3 John 8

Jude 4 ,10, 12 ,16, 19

Rev. 5:9 ;9:5 ;13:13 ; 16:10,21

Matt. 5:16 ;6:5 ,14,15,16,18; 9:17 ;10:40;11:6 ;12:30 ,43,45 ;13:20;15:11,14 ; 16:17;18:7 ;23:4,20,21,22

Mark 8:9 ;13:13 ;14:58

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't know there was a translation for professional baseball players! :laugh:

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

double post

#4 EdSutton, Aug 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2006
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:sleep:

BTW, Rippon, do you have anything like this on hymns, given your handle? :rolleyes:

Ed

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I have never read the MLB so I cannot accurately comment on it. But if I ever find a copy and purchase it I will check out all the references you provided.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I originally had only the NT MLB in the 80's . My whole ( OT&NT ) was bought in December of 93 . I do not think they are publishing it any longer . Try a second-hand store . I got some good deals in secular bookstores while in the States . I once bought my Robert Haldane's Exposition On Romans for just $5.00 !

The MLB is a better find than the Norlie . It stands up well in comparison with the NIV and pre95 NAS on a number of texts , but occasionally disappoints also .

It may be interesting to know that E.Schuyler English (who wrote Ironsides bio) was one of three Bible scholars to revise the Berkeley New Testament .

Conservative names worked on the Old Testament as translators . You may recognize Gleason Archer ; S. Lewis Johnson ; J. Barton Payne and Merrill F. Unger .

Gerrit Verkuyl said he wanted " a translation which was less interpretive than Moffatt's , more cultured in language than Goodspeed's , more American than Weymouth's , and less like the king James Version than the RSV . "

Oh , I should say that the more inclusive language in the MLB compared with the NIV is nothing like the even more inclusive language that the ESV and HCS uses .

#7 Rippon, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2006
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone else own the MLB on the BB aside from myself ? If so , what do you think of it ? How does it stack up against the popular versions these days ? Wanna start a MLB-Only Club :smilewinkgrin: ?

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yes I own the MLB.

I think it is a fairly good translation and use it some.

I don't generally compare one with another, so have no particular opinion of "how it stacks up against the popular versions these days.

Actually I really would like to do so, but I'm afraid it will have to wait a while. For I have already made an implied commitment (and on the BB, no less) to start an NKJVO group, followed by a NASBO group, and then an HCSBO group. And I personally want to start a KJIIVO group, and would like to see about an ASVO group and a DarbyO Group. But my really big number one desire would be to start a "The Bible from 26 Translations©" Only Group, with the nomenclature of each version cited therein, so that I might lead in the formation of a KJVASVWilliamsDarbyRSVMLBRVGoodsWeyNASBMofTEBPhillipsBeckLKIV...O Gro... :rolleyes:

Ed

#9 EdSutton, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  10. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Yes, in my collection of nearly 100 translations, I have a NT in the Inductive Study format and complete in the The Layman's Parallel Bible. But it has not been a focus, so I have not read much from it. For example, I know it uses "human being" instead of "man" but the version predates the modern feminist agenda. I believe that it is an accurate version and useful tool to use in comparison with other translations (it bears some similarity to the RSV, but more conservative).

The complete Holy Bible, Berkeley Version in Modern English (Zondervan) appeared in 1959 and is so-named because it was published in Berkeley, California. Gerrit Verkuyl (1872-1967) was a Dutch-born American that served for many years with the Board of Christian Education in the Presbyterian Church. He directed a fine multi-denominational team of 20 scholars as the editor-in-chief for the OT (he was sole translator of the NT).

The aim of this version was to achieve a plain, modern expression which was true as possible to the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek (it is not a paraphrase).

The Berkeley Version of the New Testament (started in 1936 and finished in 1945) was most popular in the years following World War II (although never really widely accepted) and reprinted through the 60s. The NT was based on the 8th edition of the Greek text of Tischendorf, with other texts consulted.

Other than the KJV, the Revised Berkley Version (from 1974 to 1983) is only one of two other translations that the Gideons have ever distributed. [BTW, the Gideons published the NIV from 1983 to 1986]

The three men that extensively revised it in 1969 were E. Schuyler English, Frank E. Baebelein and G. Henry Waterman. It seems Hendrickson Publishing currently holds the copyright and has recently republished it in paperback.

More info is available at www.berkleyversion.com, where you can get some free stuff, too! There is also an article written by Verkuyl himself at the International Society of Bible Collectors website in the General Articles section at www.biblecollectors.org.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.