1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Money Changers...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Dec 11, 2014.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...we all know the story. If not read Matthew 21:12.

Much of Christianity today is built around the Industrialisation of the Word of God. Usually, this word Industrialisation refers to an economic change that moves a society from an agrarian role into an industrial one.

Accordingly, it does appear to me the endless factions of Christianity today have (many perhaps not so inadvertently) moved from a society of faith and the lifting up of Jesus to that of the error ridden promotion of "religious" products..., whether tangible or intangible.

Hence, Money Changers.

While on the surface it's Jesus, Jesus, Jesus..., but subliminally it's really all about the money.

The promotional ads read;

"Won't you help in this dynamic effort to bring Jesus into the minds and hearts of the lost by contributing to this most needed World Wide effort?"

"By helping with your financial gifts today you will be rewarded by the Lord".

"For a donation of only $39.95 I'll send you this blessed Prayer Cloth".

Just read the literature you receive. The begging. Ad nauseam.

There's nothing wrong with giving to the work of the Lord but I suspect He wants to Lead Us Down the path He has chosen vise a Christian Industry charging down the road and then..., asking God to bless. I don't he is much impressed.

Hey..., even this Forum is designed to make money.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very insightful HAMel...good and well thought. Looking foward to the serious responders as well as the resident trolls. Shalom!

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

SO you're looking forward to the resident trolls? Do you even realize that making such a comment shows your true intent for even entering the thread?[​IMG]

Just messy.

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac..., The Money Changers. :thumbsup:

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

HAMel, the model you seem to want to emulate would be the home church where the pastor works without pay and the owner of the home pays the electricity. While this may work for the spiritual edification of its members, it doesn’t do much for reaching the world. When you move out to a dedicated facility, even a small one, you start having expenses. When you have expenses, someone has to pay them. In a perfect world everyone antes up his share but we don’t have a perfect world so the leadership has to start asking for money.

To be sure there are excesses. We all have seen them. However, even those who engage in excesses must have some money to keep the legitimate side of their ministry going. It’s just a fact of life. You call it an industrialized church, and it probably is. However, it is the only way a community of believers can have a meaningful impact on the world around them.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sorry HAMel. I was formulating my response. :laugh:

I believe that's why Scripture says For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Tim 6:10

The love of it is at the root of the majority of most of the issues in churches. I look at the way a lot of the folks on TBN do things and it turns my stomach.

It's like they've made an entire network around "promoting" this prayer cloth, that book, or this special gift. They say these things are to fund the ministry, but my goodness. With the money that all of these churches have taken in, we should have taken the Gospel around the globe a thousand times already.

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you build it ... they will come. I named no trolls. So like OJ's attorney said if the glove don't fit ... you must equit.

I used now names bro. And I am sorry if you thought the troll bait was for you. Feel free to make any comments the Lord leads you to share. Shalom!

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zenas..., you're right but you missed my point.

Selling Christianity is the problem. Christianity is not a Product and it's not for sale. Those who are earnestly seeking to reach lost souls, with the right "intentions" and following the Lord's lead are definitely in need of funding for which, He is quite capable of providing. The Lord will not send anyone anywhere that He hasn't already provided for.

I am of the opinion however that many engage their missionary efforts with all the wrong "intentions".

"Hey, we NEED MONEY and the more WE get the more WE can do and YOU can participate and reap the blessing of the Lord..., if YOU send us MONEY."

At this point the giver of said money is seeking what? A handsome return?

9. timf

timf Member

Much of Christianity today is built around the Industrialisation of the Word of God. Usually, this word Industrialisation refers to an economic change that moves a society from an agrarian role into an industrial one.

This is an idea that I have been giving some recent thought to.

The origins of Renaissance humanism in the city states of Florence, Milan, and Venice all presage the industrial revolution but show that the focus on wealth and trade almost always brings a loss of focus on God. While the industrial revolution started the destruction of families, the elevation of the secular found in humanism harkens to the rich young ruler who was unable to surrender his faith in his money.

Like Saul who was unaware that the Spirit had left him, many who call themselves "Christian" have no idea that their faith is in something other than Jesus.

Several years ago I went to a Baptist church that was meeting in a school. To me the pastor was so demonstrably lusting after a real church building it was embarrassing. Others at the church excused his behavior as just passionate. A few years after we left, I had heard that his marriage had melted down and that he had been asked to leave.

Organizational Christianity is often so wrapped up in events activities, programs, classes, fund raising, real estate, and endowments that the name of Jesus is little more than a "tipping of the hat" given in as perfunctory a way as saying "God bless you" after someone sneezes.

Churches have been "industrialized" and collectivized such that the average Christian is seen as a component to be processed instead of an individual to be engaged. In fact, much of modern church structure prevents the very relationships that are needed to live the Christian life.

It doesn’t do much for reaching the world.

This is an interesting assertion. In itself it assumes that evangelism is accomplished by money, which may reflect the concerns of the OP. I have been in churches that have had budgets close to a million dollars and give less than 2% to missions. You might think that those in a house church would be able to give more especially compared to bigger churches with mortgages.

We live in a world that is saturated with "the ends justifies the means" thinking. We are told the only way to stop an evil politician is to vote for his slightly less evil opponent. We are told the only way to do (anything) is the we have to do (something). Christianity should be more than being told what to do.

Institutional churches are not going to change. In fact, they may not be able to change. It is then incumbent upon the believer to seek out those who also desire to live by faith.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a fact that if you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one that was hit!!! :laugh:

11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    timf..., yep, you're right on spot. For sure that with some, Jesus takes a back seat to make room for all the secular activities drummed up to entice.

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ain't dat true.

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right on! I heard a story on FOX News last night that the young people are trying to change the name of Christmas to Sparkle Day! It's not a new idea, as it came out in 1997, but it is one more attempt to rid Christmas of Christ! So, secularism is still alive and active when it comes to making religious celebrations non religious!

14. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sparkle Day. Now that's a new one on me. Never heard of it.

One day these folks are going to be "sparkling" themselves when the time comes. Really, it's so sad. Jesus referred to the Scribes and Pharisees as hypocrites while they smugly grinned over His Crucifixion thinking their problems were over.

...I wonder what the first thing was that went through their minds when they opened their eyes in Hades. So sad.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent points and articulations made HAMel. You've 'spoken my mind' very well concerning the 'money changers. Nothing new under the sun though:

9 That which hath been is that which shall be; and that which hath been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
    10 Is there a thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been long ago, in the ages which were before us. Ecc 1

Names, faces, places change but it's always the same ol', same ol'.

#15 kyredneck, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you! Excellent! Truth!