1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Moral of the "Bird Poop" Story

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Oct 26, 2008.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Moral of the Bird Poop Story…..

(This story is written in present tense, but it happened this past May.)

My mother has had a barn swallow build a mud nest in the eave of her carport. It’s been really interesting to go to her house and watch the bird prepare for having chicks. The nest is really in an inconvenient location because every time the door opens or a car drives up, she flies off the nest.

But, anyway the breeding was successful, eggs were laid and hatched, and now she is feeding them. There are 5 chicks in that mud nest as far as I can tell and I don’t see how they all fit in that tiny mud nest!! The mother has to sit on the edge now.

Anyway….I worried about those babies every time I went over there. I don’t know a whole lot about birds and I was worried that all of them weren’t getting fed and that their too-small nest was full of their own baby bird poop. Who wants to wallow in your own excrement and your sibling’s excrement, I thought!?!?!?!?!? I told my mother yesterday that I hope that when they fly out of the nest that they can find a place to take a bath. :eek:

She said, “Come out here with me”.

So we went outside on her carport and she said, “Look on the carport beneath the nest.” I looked and saw bird poop. I said, “I saw that. That’s where the mother who is sitting on the edge of the nest is pooping.”

My mother said, “No…..she poops in the air. That’s the baby bird poop. I sat out here today and watched them. Even though they can’t see and have virtually no feathers, they rotate themselves to where their rear ends hang over the edge of the nest and they poop on my carport. And can you tell by the volume of the poop how well-fed they are?”

I said to her, “You know something….there’s a sermon in that somewhere.” And we laughed. :laugh:

I’ve been thinking today. If God is so concerned with baby birds that they have clean nests to lie in and gives them, in their blindness and inability to fly, an innate sense of how to get their little birdy booties over the edge of that nest, then how much more is He concerned with our daily lives. Even the minute details.

Jesus said that there is not a sparrow that falls dead to the ground that He is not consciously aware of it. And He said that we are worth so much more than those birds that He is so wonderfully and fearfully tending to.

Two lessons here stick out to me.

(1.) The next time that we feel rejected by God or neglected by Him, remember those baby birds on my mother’s carport. God is taking care of even their hygienic needs. He considers you light years ahead of those birds in worth. He didn’t die for those birds. Those birds that He so lovingly tends to cannot be saved or have a relationship with Him. He cares for those birds, but He LOVES us…..enough to sacrifice His only Son. Don’t allow the devil to convince you that God has abandoned you or that He doesn’t care. That's a lie from hell that the devil would love to see branded with fire into your soul.

(2.) God has made a plan for those baby birds not to poop in their own nest. On a larger and more meaningful scale, God wants our lives to be clean and pure. So many times we foul things up or others foul things up for us and then we somehow blame God for it. We KNOW the way of escape is His Word. We KNOW the 10 commandments. We KNOW that Jesus is the only way to God the Father. We KNOW that Jesus said that to love Him is to obey Him. We KNOW that God said that obedience is more important than sacrifice. Then let’s live that way. Let’s don’t “poop” in our own nests. If there is “excrement” in your life that is touching you or touching your family or touching your church, then get it out of your nest. And don’t fall for the devil’s lie that it’s too hard……"I just can’t stop"……."you don’t understand"……"my situation is different than anyone else’s". If God made a “way of escape” for those baby birds not to be destroyed by living in their own excrement, then trust God for the way of escape for you to not live spiritually in your own spiritual excrement or in the spiritual excrement of those around you who want to use you as their emotional or spiritual toilet.

:godisgood:

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I can't see that being preached from a pulpit, but it is indeed a great lesson! :)

Thanks, Scarlett. So glad you're back.

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett? Is that really you? Pitstop has been - how do you say this without offending anyone - rather dull without you. Thanks for the important lesson. Now if you could do a follow-up that has a cat trying to attack the nest only to be beaten with a broom.... :thumbs: