1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The mountains of freewill and election arguing about whose eternal life valley it is

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Christlifter, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Hurrah Christlifer -- I say Amen to that! [​IMG]

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear that a lot. However, both Calvinism and Arminianism are logical responses to the teachings of the other.

When we look at the 5 points of Calvinism and the 5 points of the Remonstrance, we see they are diametrically opposed. We are either one or the other.

For instance, if we accept total depravity we are Calvinist, and if we reject total depravity we are Arminian. At least in that one point.

If we accept unconditional election we are Calvinist and if we accept conditional election we are Arminian. In that one point.

If we accept limited atonement we are Calvinist and if we accept general atonement we are Arminian. In that one point.

When the actual writings of the Synod of Dordt and the Response of the Remonstrants are compared we see it really is an "either/or" situation.

I don't like the term "Calvinist" because it links my Soteriology to a man when it comes from Jesus Christ, but I do not hesitate to cast my lot with the historic faith once delivered unto the saints as expressed in the London Baptist Confession and the Canons of the Synod of Dordt.

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

TCassidy,
    It seems that most of the scriptures you post in support of your beliefs of the 5 points of Calvinism come from Books of the bible other than those reputed to contain the "recorded words of Jesus". Why is that if you say your soteriology comes from Jesus?

4. Christlifter

Christlifter New Member

The way I see it in the Scripture its not "either, or" it's "both" or "yes"

For in Him are the promises of "Yes" and "Amen"

Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe!

Amen!

5. Christlifter

Christlifter New Member

Let's not operate in logic, lets operate in His power, according to His Word, by His Holy Spirit!

Heres something from another post I think might apply on this line (it's kinda long):

I Cor. 1:11-31
    Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
    But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
    That no flesh should glory in his presence.

But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
    That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

What I do NOT like on this thread, is those who give uncharitable, graceless, prideful and spiritually immature (like the Corinthians?) "one-up-it-ness" (Pharasical?) speech about Greek and Hebrew and all their inflated "understanding" MAN'S WISDOM, who "seem" (but I don't know for sure) to lack the experiential knowledge of the death of His Cross and the power of His ressurection, to do the work of God in His power!

Phil. 1:4-6
    Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.
    For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

Are you operating in the Spirit of Christ or your own deduction? Do you think you have all the answers in your dead, however orthodox faith, which is a mere mental assent and shell of the truth, the letter without the Spirit, given by your "logic" because some greek or hebrew teacher gave a lessons on being a snob?

I'm not judging, I'm just sayin':

Not ALL KJ people are like the repentanceless, man-centered, antinomian doctrine and IFB group in discussion. Those who continue to downtalk and belittle those who beleive that the Textus Receptus and the Masoretic Text both are God's Word, are not less or better than yourselves.

DO NOT keep assuming!

Brethern we have met to worship and adore the Lord our God! Not to fight and nitpick!! Rightly divide the Word of Truth, not each other!

Because of Christ and for you, Calvary was for you and me, I loved you because he first loved me(and that is the reason we all ought to love Him!)

Bro. Brandon

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Christlifter,
    I think you have the right approach!

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you believe in total depravity but don't believe in total depravity at the same time?

You believe in unconditional election and don't believe in unconditional election at the same time?

You believe in limited atonement and don't believe in limited atonement at the same time?

You are right! You have successfully abandoned all logic! :D

8. Christlifter

Christlifter New Member

Your scope is too narrow and unbalanced, reason out of the Scriptures and not man's theology (Jacob Arminius held to TULIP until he died) You should read the Bible verses I posted that Paul said about factions, please, and the rest of the post.

For Christ,
    Christlifter

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but you just don't know what you are talking about. I have been reasoning out the scriptures, with the Illuminating ministry of the Holy Spirit as my guide into all truth, for over 50 years. My theology is not that of James Arminius. Nor did he "hold to TULIP until he died!" He was a Dutch Reformed Calvinist who denied Unconditional Election and believed that election was based solely on God's foreknowledge that one day that person would choose Christ.

The 5 points of Arminianism were formulated by Simon Episcopius and Jan Uytenbogaert in 1610 the year after Arminius died.

Those 5 points were addressed by the Synod of Dordt who published the Canons of Dordt in 1619 which addressed the errors of each of the 5 points of Remonstrance.

10. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

The Jews were wrong about Jesus. What's to say those Dordt-ers were not just as wrong? Why are we to trust them with our eternal life?

Jesus did not establish "Religious Truth by Committee", it was man who established that principle.

11. here now

here now Member

And from whom do we get the Word of God?

12. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

You know the answer to that....at least I hope you do.

13. RodnStaff

RodnStaff New Member

"The Jews were wrong about Jesus. What's to say those Dordt-ers were not just as wrong? Why are we to trust them with our eternal life?

Jesus did not establish "Religious Truth by Committee", it was man who established that principle."

My my Wes, don't you even read the Bible?

Revelation 12:11
    "And they overcame him by the blood of the council of Dordt,
    and by the word of their Synods . . ."

Can't get much clearer than that!

14. rc

rc New Member

Spiritual blindness, Definitely,

Why do you think the lessons of blindness are given in the first place? Not being ABLE to hear? These aren't given for us to show that we can't PHYSICALLY change ourselves, but the lessons are given to LEARN about spiritual things! The implications can not be denied.

Can a leopard change his spots? I guess God gave us that so we can learn "Wow, I thought a leopard COULD physically change his spots, but I now have learned he can't!"

JUST as a leopard CAN'T change his spots so can't a MAN change his disposition! He will always choose what he wants FREELY. And he will always choose EVIL FREELY.

15. Christlifter

Christlifter New Member

This has been the biggest # of posts I've seen yet, (And I haven't seen much)

"The problem with today's Christianity, is that we are sub-normal. When a man gets on fire for God, people think he's abnormal and running a temperature."

-Bob Jones Sr.

16. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Forgive me, I didn't realize that the Apostle John had been at Dordt.

17. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Wes;
    It seems some Calvinist think He was
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us all;
    Mike [​IMG]