1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Myth About Job Creation

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Nov 14, 2012.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I am not trying to make a case for taxing or not taxing. I am simply saying that the statement made by some that "raising taxes on the rich is a job killer" is incorrect.

I agree but who is supposed to do that? I thought libertarians were against government regulation.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I know but the other guys are trying to make this into tax vs no tax thread.

Only the naive ones OR. One of the biggest problems we have right now is lack of regulations on the banks and corporations and the lack of enforcement of the few regulations that are on the banks and corporations. Regulate the banksters and corporations not the market.

#22 poncho, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  3. OldRegular

Poncho

I am a great believer in free enterprise. Free enterprise, not capitalism, is what made this country great!

I distrust big capital but I distrust big government more. I am not going to argue that big capital is in any way moral and a democratic government must restrain the excesses of big capital, not bail them out at taxpayers expense.

I am not anti-union. Being from a family of coal miners I know what unions have done in the past. That being said I believe unions now are totally corrupt, care little for the working person, and the leaders are tainted with Marxism.

That being said the Constitution must restrain the excesses of big government, big labor, and big capital. It is currently failing to do so. A consortium of big capital, big labor, and big government would be disastrous for this country, a super Marxist/fascist state.

You have some worthwhile things to say poncho but your obsession with international conspiracy camouflages it.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Free enterprise, not capitalism, is what made this country great and the difference is the free people work under the table, off the grid?

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I know several people who do that. Some do not have SSNs, bank accounts, credit cards or any other paper trail. They will even go from utility company to utility company to pay bills in cash.

I suppose I admire those who were willing to take a risk and start a new business with few resources. It takes a person with thick, very thick skin, a person with a vision, and leadership. It also takes a person who, if they fail, can get right back up and start again.

One example that comes to mind is a member of our church. He had three businesses. The first one he broke even. The second one was several local gas stations, and he lost his shirt big time. He forged right ahead, opened a shop that sells scrubs to medical people, and just sold it. He is pretty well off today. I really admire that. The biggest challange to starting a new business is figuring out what the local community needs. If there are 25 pizza joints in town, say of 25000, then you might want to open up something besides a pizza parlor.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

I have heard that some utilities will not accept cash. don't know if it is true.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No, you heard it wrong. They are now going to accept Twinkies as payment.

8. OldRegular

Not every person can start and run a business. I didn't have the gumption to even try; but I enjoyed the work I did and was good at it.

You make a very valid point above. About 2 of 3 businesses that start fail. Some people start several times. Most importantly, as you note, if one is to start a successful business he must market a product he can sell, otherwise he will fail. So producer and consumer are required to start a business.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>Some people start several times.

And when they do someone else usually gets stuck with the tab - their suppliers who pass the loss on to . . . if they can.

10. OldRegular

I doubt you have evidence to support that statement!