1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The National Championship and the Southeastern Conference

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by blackbird, Dec 17, 2007.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

How many of you will be pulling for LSU --- regardless of which SEC team you are for---when it comes to any SEC team playing for the national championship---you gotta stand up for the conference

I'm an LSU fan---but yet last year I pulled for Florida

What about you other guys??? Loyal to the SEC even though your team isn't playing for the championship

or

are you jealous???

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

**Bump**

Come on guys---wheres our SEC loyality?????

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Razorback fan and I will be rooting for LSU just as I did for Florida last season. And I will be rooting for every SEC team in a bowl game.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You de man, KenH!!!

I'm planning a eat out at my place on Jan 7

Boiled Crawfish
    Crawfish Etoufee
    Shrimp Creole
    Seafood Gumbo
    Jambayla

If any of my guest want to pull for Ohio State----they'll have to eat outside---and I hope it snows---or comes up a good heavy rain!!!!!

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will be doing the same, except that I want Saban to lose.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Pull for every SEC team in these bowl games.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This is interesting. While some fans of Big Ten teams will unilaterally root for all other Big Ten teams, I don't sense there is the same intense conference loyalty among Big Ten fans as there is among SEC fans. It would be interesting to hear from some of the other conferences, too. I'm sure there are cultural and social explanations as to why some areas are more loyal than others to their conferences.

8. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Tiger born, Tiger bred, and when i die i'll be purple and gold Tiger dead! Geaux Tigers!
    And i'm proud to say that my Buckeye born and bred wife from Cincinnati will be cheering on my Bayou Bengals with me!:thumbs:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

OSU all the way :thumbs:

I don't know what's with you SEC guys. I can NEVER pull for Michigan, even if they were representing the Big Ten.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I forgot to mention

I pull for LSU(I am Baton Rouge born, Cajun razed, died in the wool LSU fan), Auburn, Alabama and anybody who plays against Ole Miss!!!!

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm with you on this one, webdog. In 1989, the Flyin' Illini lost in the Final Four to Michigan.

:BangHead:

There was no way I was rooting for Michigan to win the National Championship game.

12. OcalaGator

OcalaGator New Member

Born in Ohio. Gator by choice and the Grace of God. Go Tigers. SEC, is there any other conference?

13. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Big Ten fan transplanted in SEC country. If LSU wins, I will never hear the end of it from those here who think the SEC is the strongest conference in NCAA Football.

I am pulling for Ohio State all the way.

Personally, I believe the Big 12 was the strongest conference.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nowhere____

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am a Tennessee fan who was born on Ohio. I do not root for SEC teams as a rule. Tennessee has to recruit against these teams. Then again, Tennessee has to recruit against everyone. So I don't pull for the SEC team by default. Just because the SEC is the best football conference (sorry Pastor Bob, you just have to cope :laugh: ) doesn't mean I root for them. I never root for Bama (for obvious reasons) so, go Colorado. And I hate Michigan (for many reasons), so go Gators.

I like the Big Ten because of my mild roots in Ohio. At this point, I'm torn. I don't hate LSU, but I don't love OSU. Last year, I was just a fan watching a game between the Bucks and Gators. I will probably be the same this year when the Tigers play the Bucks.

At any rate, my allegiance doesn't run by conference defaults. I have my teams in a pecking order, with the Vols way at the top, and the rest off in the distance.

Beat the Badgers!

16. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Being originally from Louisiana, I will of course be rooting for LSU. I don't always pull for SEC teams, however. I especially dislike UF, and had no rooting interest in last year's BSC game.

17. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I normally pull for conferences when not pulling for my teams -- GA Tech and UM. I always pull for the ACC and SEC (except UGA for obvious reasons and Alabama due to Nick Satan - I mean Saban).

I normally pull against the PAC 10 and Big 10 -- too way over-rated conferences whose teams play no one outside of their conference.

Look at OSU's nonconference schedule this year --- Kent State, Akron, Washington and Youngstown State. They had no games against anyone in the top 20 team while LSU had seven. What a difference, eh?

And they are in the BCS championship game??? I hope LSU beats them worse than UF did last year.

18. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you notice LSU's non-conference schedule? Virginia Tech, Middle Tennessee State, Tulane, and Louisiana Tech. Not exactly what I would call a tough non-conference schedule with the exception of VT.

OSU played Washington @ Washington. That is a quality non-conference road game. At least LSU got VT @ home.

Since the PAC 10 is so overrated, do you recall the only meeting between the PAC 10 and the SEC this season? California vs Tennessee? I believe the SEC lost by two touchdowns.

Michigan was in the Top 20 when they played OSU. Wisconsin and Illinois are both in the Top 20 and both played OSU.

Where are you getting your information?

#18 Pastor_Bob, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2007
  19. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are correct -- they are the only other two in the top 25 -- and they lost to Illinois.

Yes, LSU did have a weak non-conference schedule. But their overall schedule was much tougher -- VTech, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. BTW, Washington was 2-7 in a weak Pac 10 (and no, a first game between Cal & Tenn is not a good comparison between the conferences).

20. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    The PAC 10 had 4 teams finish in the Top 25. Washington was a tough road game to be sure. Much more difficult than playing at Tulane.

There are three Big Ten / SEC bowl match-ups. We'll have to see who gets bragging rights this year.