1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Nativity Story

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by whatever, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Try me. I did not read the TEV, I simply went to the virgin birth accounts to see if you were correct. While the wording is different I don't think you are correct in your judgment that it denies the virgin birth. When I get back to my office today I will read the first chapter of John. I am not aware of any errors in the text simply from watching a movie. However, as I have said, the TEV is not my favorite translation. The only reason I even own a copy is because it was given to my grandmother many years ago. From the looks of it I don't think she ever read it. Because of her age (etc) she favored the KJV and was not that open to different translations.

I find it interesting that you avoided two things.

1. The offer I have made several times. From this I must assume that you have no real intention to see the movie. That is amazing considering the fact that you have spent how many pages trashing it by accusing it of doctrinal compromise?

2. The virgin birth passages. You claimed the TEV denied the virigin birth.

You said:
    "Are you aware the Good News Bible, the bible used for the production of The Gospel of John, denies the virgin birth? This is done in a subtle and indirect way. It is not obvious in a casual reading. (In the TEV, it is not so subtle)."

I quoted the verses in question and, clearly, they do not deny the virgin birth. Yet you failed to respond to that. Is that because you did not check the translation yourself (ie...you were repeating what someone else said)? Or was there a different verse you were thinking about? That you have just dropped the point is very interesting to me.

#21 Martin, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  2. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Priceless. When you can't win a debate, and confusing the issue with nonsense doesn't work, call the opponent's salvation into question. You are a first class troll! :thumbs:

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

beenaround, you have ignored step one....remember? the step that said "calm down". i still recommend it. if you take a look back at all the things you've said towards the movie and other people in here, i think you'll see you've said some really crazy things, and had some ridiculous comments made towards people who you don't even know. STEP 1. CALM DOWN.

#23 dan e., Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

As moderator on this thread----I will caution everyone posting to use Christian conduct and discretion. Personal insults and "questions" concerning various poster's salvation will not be tolerated. Such posts will be monitored and deleted without question.

As far as the movie in question is concerned --- folks --- you don't have to be a "Rocket Scientist" to know ALREADY the fact that Hollywood can "tear up a steel anvil with a rubber mallet"---- I cannot trust Hollywood to produce anything that is even able to remotely stick to the infallable truth of Holy Scripture.

We shall see! But I doubt it very seriously!!!

Bro. David