1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Nature of the Incarnation - Dual or Single?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SAME jesus that the Apsotles knew was to return in lie fashion one day...

Jesus was God/Man, two natures within one being, and when he resurrected from the dead, SAME physical body that he died in, now was glorified!

he is the same Human/God, that is why he can be our great Highpriest, as he really knew and knows our weaknesses!

Incarnation meant God the Son forever choose to becoman human and remain that way forever more!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The argument goes:
    1. Human nature is, by definition, fallen/depraved/sinful.
    2. Jesus was not fallen/depraved/sinful.
    Therefore, His "humanity" did not include a fallen/depraved/sinful nature.

So He took on the FORM of a man, on the cross he BECAME sin for us (He knew no sin)

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 2 Peter 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

What is this nature and this image? Where, how and when does it come to the predestinate?

We are all born in the image of the first man Adam and the first man Adam was Romans 5:14 the figure of him that was to come.

Now then the question was asked. Heb. 2:6 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? From Psalms 8:4

And the answer was given: Hebrews 2:7,8 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing not put under him.

This was never given to the first man Adam and never intended for him and those in his image, yet it is the intent of God for man. What man? The last Adam Jesus the Christ who came in the image (figure) of the first man Adam. And in who's image we can and will be.

As the last part of verse 8 states: But now we see not yet all things put under him. (mankind)

Heb. 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
    Heb. 1:1,2 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Appointed heir says at one point in time he did not have all things and after inheritance he had all things.

Hebrews 1:4 tells us one of the things he obtained by inheritance was a name more excellent than the angels. He inherited it when it was said, "Thou art my Son, (More excellent than the angels) this day have I begotten thee."

What day was it that he by inheritance obtained a name more excellent than the angels.

The firstborn from the dead. He was begotten of God the Father and born of the virgin Mary and he was also the firstborn from the dead.

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, (begotten by God in Heaven) the Son of man which is in heaven.
    Thou art the Christ the Son of the Living God.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

God did not become human!

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Jesus sitting on the right hand of the Father in Heaven as a resurrected man
    in heaven or not?

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

So, are you stating that Jesus came as God "encased" in a human body.

It's kind of like a corndog. A corndog consists of a weiner, batter, and stick. Now, the stick is not a corndog, but it is still a part of the corndog nonetheless. When you take the corndog away, all you have left is the stick. Sorry about the corndog analogy, but it's what came to mind.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Jesus came "encased" in a humanly form, so that He could atone for sinners on the cross. You can't nail the Spirit to the cross.

8. OldRegular

Actually that is closer to ,the truth than the following:

You might try reading the following which gives the understanding of the early Church regarding the Incarnation. This Decree is generally accepted among the churches.

9. OldRegular

That does not mean that God became human. If God became human then what happened to God?

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean God came "encased" in a humanly form and they called that form of humanity, Jesus but it was still God. Then the human part dies and the God part went and did other things and then returned three days and three nights later to the human part and made it alive. And some time the next morning after being God and human again, it, Jesus made this statement.

Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and [to] my God, and your God.

Now was that all of him making that statement or the human part or the God part.

I have asked several times in several threads with zero answers. Can the word begotten, truly be used, when speaking of God the Father and the Son of God? What is the meaning of the word begotten relative to persons in the Godhead?

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the scripture say a human was begotten by God? If not who was Jesus of Nazareth of whom a virgin gave birth?

Wasn't this the Son of God that God appointed heir of all things? Was this Son to inherit from God the Father?

#31 percho, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
  12. OldRegular

Just answer the question. If God became human then what happened to God?

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more scripture I read and study the more I believe the Living Speaking God conceived a human Son within the virgin Mary.

Nothing happened to God. He sent his Son through the ovum of the virgin Mary.

14. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Jesus was, is and it appears will always be 100% man and 100% God.

15. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How far back does your "was" go?
    And how you answer this question (not a trick question) determines what I will ask next.

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Well "Jesus" only existed beginning about 2,000 years ago, but The "Word" the "SON" existed eternally with god the Father and God the Spirit before creation and before that. (see Jn 1:1, Heb. 1:1-3).

17. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Back to the Incarnation.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your answer to this topic seems to be of a jesus only type theology!

While God the Son was on earth as a man, God the father and God Holy Spirit still were whereever they normally are! Father upon His throne ruling, so even when the Son died a physical death on the Cross, God was still alive!

And jesus was BOTh full God and man, NOT a man possessed by the Spirit, who left Him on the Cross, not God walking around with JUST his nature in a human shelll

No
    A man whose natures were dual, both God/Human, and is still today!

19. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Jesus only went back as far as the Incarnation then we have a problem with other verses, Heb. 13:8 for one .

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever."

Was the writer thinking only a few decades back when he wrote "yesterday"?

John 12:41 quotes Isaiah as referring to Christ. "He saw His [Christ's] glory"

I Cor. 10:4 says that "the Rock which followed them [Israel in the wilderness] was Christ".

Don't get me wrong, both of you. I am not thinking that you would have any problem with those verses. I am just getting back to the point I had made earlier that the fact of Jesus' assumption of human flesh was temporal, ad hoc (here meaning, mission-related) and is not a part of Christ's changeless nature.

He part on flesh for the purpose of identification, obedience, and the salvation of the ones He came to seek.

"For as much then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;"

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God always existed, so in his divinity is eternal, whilehe also took on the fullness of humanity while incarnated, without sin nature...

God became a man, and same man was ascended back into heaven!

As jesus was raised back up, in same physical body born and died in, just was then glorified!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.