1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Nature of Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Laugh No....I think neither. I used Spurgeon specifically because of those quotes. It often comes up here (or did a while back) with the Calvinism being the gospel thing. I'm passively aggressively nodding to Spurgeon’s sermon "God's will and Man's will" for context.

We all understand the gospel in a subjective and less than perfect way. This is necessary because our understanding itself is subjective and less than perfect. Spurgeon could very well say the Calvinism is the gospel. In that sermon he clarified those natural inclinations that colored his preceptions. To him that understanding and only that understanding was the gospel. But it would be wrong to say that the gospel itself is Calvinism.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so?

Does not the gospel teach that, without Christ, men are depraved?

Or that man is saved due to no merit of his own?

Or that salvation is only for believers?

Or that grace draws the lost to Christ?

Or that a saved person is preserved unto the end?

:)

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC Said:

Does not the gospel teach that, without Christ, men are depraved?

I agree and not trying to turn this into a Arminian/Calvinistic debate... But all these existed in the written gospel those taught by Jesus Christ and the Apostles, disciples and teachers he set aside to carry on his work on down through the ages... The accusatory finger is pointed at the Calvinist brethren saying this is a Calvinist Theology as opposed to other theologies... No so and as I have said many times in the past Calvin coined TULIP but he did not, no way, ever write the gospel... The 5 points TC laid out are biblical truth and gospel... That to me is the true gospel that put Jesus Christ as our all and all... Anything less than that is the theology of man not of God!... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does one have to repent and become a Calvinist to be saved? :)

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does it say that anywhere?

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All through the Bible from the Old to the New it is Jesus Christ not John Calvin!... Brother Glen

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you may have misunderstood the question. :)

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are talking about Scripture, absolutely not. But if you are saying that the gospel IS Calvinism, then absolutely. One must repent and believe the gospel (Mark 1:15).

One can say that Calvinism is the gospel because it is a human understanding, a theology, of the gospel message. When one says that the gospel is Calvinism....or Armininism....or the belief of the ECF's ....or Christ Victor, or Penal Substitution, or ....etc.......then they present a false gospel. Personally, I think that a few here do present a false gospel because they present the gospel as their understanding. If you are saying that the gospel is Calvinism then you are saying that one must be a Calvinist in order to be saved OR that one must not believe the gospel in order to be saved.

I suppose the question boils down to whether or not we can say our theology is equal to Scripture. If it is given by God via special revelation, then I would say “yes.” But I don’t think that that to be the case.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, let's focus on what I said. I asked 5 questions. How would you answer them?

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that Scripture teaches all five.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you agree with Spurgeon that "Calvinism" is just a nick-name for the Gospel? :)

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, of course. I never disagreed that Calvinism ... or Arminianism, for that matter...are just nicknames for the Gospel.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theology is the study of God. We believe that the study of scripture is our best method of studying God.
    Neither Calvinism nor Arminianism correctly presents scripture as plainly written. No need to go through that again.

We believe Jesus is God and therefore believe in the Trinity.
    We believe God exists eternally, without a beginning or end.
    We believe God was not caused by anything and therefore is the uncaused cause of everything.
    We believe God is everywhere and is all powerful.
    We believe God knows everything He chooses to know, but can also choose not to know things, like the sins He has forgiven. Some deny this truth based on their own theology.

God's justice is sure but sometimes is tempered with mercy. Praise God.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha ha...:) oh my goodness Tom...great point! :)

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Arminianism teach all five points?

That without Christ, men are depraved?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said Scripture teaches those five points, not that the gospel is those points.
    I believe there is only one true gospel and men must repent and believe the gospel of Jesus Christ to be saved. I believe that there are both Calvinist and Arminians who are saved (neither of these flawed understandings exclude one from the Body of Christ).

Do Arminians reject the gospel of Christ? If so, are they saved? If so, how many gospels are out there under which men are saved?

#36 JonC, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that was my question. :)
    But what, apart from the 5 points I posted, is the Gospel?
    But the question was do Arminians assert all 5 of the points I made?
    That's my question.
    You tell me. That was my question.
    Good question. Which gospel? The Arminian gospel or the "Calvinist" gospel? They can't both be right?

So, back to the question:

Do Arminians teach that,

Without Christ, men are depraved?

18. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Hi Jonc,

I don't think your two 'If so's' that precede this above statement follow or flow into your next 'If so' shown above. You may have gotten 'If so' happy? :p If not, can you explain how it does because I don't see how it fits?

Also, since I am fully aware of the errors ('flawed understandings' per you) of Arminianism (or so-called) it would be honest of you to not just label Calvinism as flawed, but explain as to why.

I also wish you'd use the Word more often in your interactions.

Of course there is only one Gospel; Galatians 1:8ff. Some say there are two. Scripture disagrees with this false dichotomy.

To so-called or alleged 'Arminians' (who are generally not but are non-Calvinists) to me, and to many others, and I believe according to Scripture as well, preach a truncated gospel message. This message guarantees a person heaven, a retirement in the heavens that is guaranteed on the basis of a prayer too many times.

This is preached instead of preaching the vital need of a Savior who will save them from their sins, and change their life now, Matthew 1:21, Romans 6:1ff of the evidence of sanctification being necessary, Hebrews 12:14; of the necessity of repentance, Mark 1:15, Acts 2:38, Acts 17:30; and the necessity of a change via true conversion, 1 John 1:1ff; 1 Corinthians 5:17. Instead men are guaranteed something wonderful to happen.

When they die.

But nothing transforming has to happen at this point, as evidence of conversion is generally mocked in this 'other gospel' message.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminianism teaches four of the five....I'm don't see how they would teach the last.

Sent from my TARDIS

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm arriving a bit late but hopefully not too late.

Not necessarily, on that last point, there are other disciplines of theology as TCassidy noted...and some others on top of his. While systematic theology has helpfully provided appropriate categories of theological study, it is not inherently the default method of inquiry.

It is reasonable to suggest that all disciplines of observation and inquiry are bound by multiple horizons (limitations) of which being human is one of the most difficult to overcome. Our theological inquiry, while grounded in and directed by Scripture isn't limited to what is contained in the 66 books. Other theological disciplines helpfully explore how we can rationally, logically, and evidentially come to knowledge of God when coupled with Scripture. As a note, this is where the discipline of theological prolegomena is helpful.

God's revelation is, indeed, objective but the challenge is that mankind's observation and interpretation of that revelation isn't so set.

To the first question, undoubtedly. Special revelation has been given and we can encounter that special revelation as we study Scripture. As for the second, there is no discipline or system that is without taint of the limitations of mankind nor the results of the Fall.

Just as a note, I'm also a believer that general revelation also provides us access to the nature and character of God...though not exhaustively.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.