1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NET Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Tony kelly, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

Anyone use this Bible if so how do you like it ?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use it frequently for its copious notes.

3. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

You can only buy the Bible on line correct ?

4. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I have the Beta Edition, not the new First Edition.

5. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I really want to purchase the NET and just haven't yet. I really wish they would create a hardback edition for $20-30 bucks. Rather than the ones they offer for $50.

6. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

Their Bible 's are really expensive .

7. greek geek

greek geek New Member

But you can also download it for free. and they just put out the first edition...so given a bit more time they should put out less expensive editions. Until then, save the 50 and download it.

8. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I use it and like it. It is definitely more helpful to those who know a little Hebrew, Greek, textual criticism, and a thing or two about translating--and at least some grasp of grammar. This is because the notes are more valuable than the translation itself. (I have some quibbles with individual translation decisions that do not have notes that explain their decision, but everyone has quibbles with every translation here or there). However, I started using the NET's NT long before I studied any of the things I mentioned above and still found it to be of some value. It's a handy study Bible to have in hand, but the online version is searchable and free which is a bonus.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I've used the NET since their earliest edition a few years ago. Because I've bought 2 Bibles from them, I was given a huge discount on their most recent edition.

I use it mainly for the notes. Sometimes I like their translation, sometimes not, but it's always interesting to check it out and to read the notes, especially on disputed passages/translations. I've learned a lot.

10. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

I recently downloaded the NET for E-sword it is free but doesen't have all the notes. You can buy an e-sword version for about 20$ with all the notes if you want. I was afraid it might take up to much space on laptop's hard drive. But that's ok I can always refrence the notes online.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You can download the entire Bible including the notes for free at the NET Bible's website.

http://www.bible.org/

Do like us po' folks do, download it and print a copy, then punch it and bind it.

I download so many documents in my work, this is the ONLY way I can afford to have all the references that I have available. (Or find someone with a plastic "presentation binder" machine. Makes a nice booklet that you don't mind writing notes on.

Just an idea--better than fifty bucks......

12. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

If they ever start to sell their Bible's in book stores they would really be EXPENSTIVE huh .

13. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Yes but the last edition was the 'First Edition' so I have to agree with the Greek geek I think the longer it's out the more it's price will fall.

14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prime purpose of the NET Bible was to provide the text and notes free over the Internet. The printed version, which probably will not reach high production numbers, is a bonus. The Second Beta was available in paper and hardback and I expect the First Edition also will be later.

(I assume that the First Edition has better leather and paper than the modestly priced Second Beta, which was a bargain, though I haven't seen the latest edition. The satellite maps, BTW, are to die for and are better than anything else I've seen in laying out the geography of the Holy Land.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.