1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The neutrality of the medias ?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Spear, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Spear

Spear New Member

Hi,

I see many informations come from Fox News. I'd like you tell me about if it it is, or not, a strictly " neutral " media, just informing, or if it is politically oriented (if so, is it " strongly " supporting one side, or " moderately ") ?

At its creation, Rupert Murdoch wanted it to be " Fair and balanced ". Where are we ?

I remember during War in the Gulf II, here in France, it was shown as a very supportive media to GWB's policy and the war. Is it true ?

Could you give me a quick " panorama " of the different and major tv information media in USA, and how oriented they are (and if they're lightly or strongly oriented) ?

Thanks ;)

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC all extreme far left

Fox center to right and "Fair and Balanced" was never intended to say unbiased. It speaks to showing both sides unlike the others mentioned. Because of this the ratings of Fox are greater than all the others put together.

3. Spear

Spear New Member

Thanks for the info Revmitchell, and finally, the most famous of your information channels here, CNN, where is it ?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CNN is not the most famous as its ratings are in the basement. I should have listed it with the other far left wing nutcase programs. Again even adding CNN to the list Fox ratings beats them all combined.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The world has never known any such thing as "fair and balanced" or "unbiased" news coverage. Everything has always been reported with a slant to it.

6. Spear

Spear New Member

I just meant it was the first we had on the cable, years ago, and so the one we know the most, here in France.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would take days, maybe months, to list the more blatant bias in the traditional media outlets (Network News and CNN, and most major city newspapers).

For instance, CBS/ABC/NBC/CNN and major city newspapers gave prominant coverage of "gafts" by President Bush, no matter how small. They seemed to have an agenda of opposition to Bush and attempted to portray him as a baffoon, an idiot, every attempt they had.

Barack Obama, OTHO, has had many gafts, but recieves little or no coverage of it. In his latest address before congress, President Obama gave two illustrations of U.S. citizens that had lost health care coverage. The details he gave concerning these people turned out to be untrue. In fact, he looked the American people in the face and lied, in order to advance a political agenda. The traditional news outlets have ignored the lies.

Fox News, internet sources (like Drudgereport.com), and talk radio (dominated by conservatives and libertarians) are "new kids on the block" so to speak.

Most people who are conservative will tell you that Fox News is "fair and balanced", that is that they present the news in a non-biased way.

Most people who are liberal will tell you that Fox News is biased in favor of Republicans and are against Democrats.

That is life in America

peace to you:praying:

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ummm no this is a fallacy and it certainly is not the definition of "Fair and balanced"

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In all objectivity, I find Fox News to not swing one way or the other. They tend to remain nonpartisan in their reporting. Some liberals will find Fox News to be conservative (since Fox News does not swing left), while some conservatives will find them to be liberal (since Fox News does not swing right).

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am clearly on the right and Fox news definitely swings right.

11. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I agree with Rev here completely.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I think Fox News is to the right also, but not extreme right.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And again "Fair and Balanced" means there is debate on both sides of the issue presented.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true - how much coverage to the conservative view-point, except in a mocking vein of course, do you find in the MS outlets????????

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

None especially when it comes to acorn or Obama

16. alatide

alatide New Member

Every news station is fair and balanced except the one who finds it necessary to keep saying that (Fox News). They're the only news organization that I've watched that are really biased.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Now that there's funny.

Ridiculously untrue...but funny.

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

On CNN and FOX

FOX promotes itself as fair and balanced. It has been my experience that many Baptists choose FOX and say it is much more balance and fair than CNN.

Those are the two venues that seem to be most talked about and known
    IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

My personal preference is for CNN.

I read both, and can see the bias in both. Which way it leans depends on the topic and the reporter. In very general terms and in my own opinion, FOX leans very moderately right and CNN leans moderately left.

As a writer (and having done a small bit of minor reporting) I have a little more experience than some in picking out key phrases and uses of punctuation or voice inflection to sway a piece. No matter how honest the writer/reporter, if the issue is major (let alone if there is pressure on you from higher ups to make it lean) it is very difficult not to use your influence to make people think like you, and writing and reporting can be VERY influential. It's a form of power, to some degree, and you'd be hard pressed to find a single soul who won't at least occasionally take advantage of ANY type of power they have. When it comes to an issue the person feels passionately about, what do you truly think will happen when the person reports on it?

There are other news sources that cater more towards one side and are especially popular on Baptist Board. One such agency is World Net Daily. They are mentioned with some frequency on this board. I used to read there, but now I refuse to and will not take anyone seriously who uses this source. My personal opinion is that they are unreliable. They seem to leave out important information, and when you leave out certain information, the reader doesn't get the whole story. Human beings, and especially Americans, put tons of faith in the media, especially if it supports their own personal beliefs, and often are too lazy to check out multiple sources in order to find the real truth. They are easily led. When a media source takes advantage of this, as I feel WND does to a higher degree than even FOX or CNN, and with much less transparency, I don't think they can or should be trusted.

The best bet is to look at multiple news sources, look up hard facts for yourself, and then use them to make any decision. Do not trust ANY news network to give you a completely accurate and unbiased version of an event.