1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New Alamo Movie

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by KenH, Apr 9, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just got home after watching the new Alamo movie. It is, in my opinion, the best movie about the Alamo. Billy Bob Thornton does a great job as Davy Crockett.

I believe it is well worth watching.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken, in another thread it's denounced as revisionist history and kowtowing to political correctness. I haven't seen it, but surely it has to be better than its predecessors.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read such myself but after seeing it that is simply not true. As one born and reared in Texas my admiration for Crockett, Bowie, and Travis was not attacked at all by anything in the film. I probably feel better about Sam Houston than before. Santa Anna was shown for the butcher that he was.

4. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was watchng the History Channel presentation today about the Alamo, and it lined up (so I'm told) with the movie. Am I deceived? Could it possibly be that the Alamo defenders were not pure as the driven snow? ;)

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know anyone who claimed they were. We all know about Bowie and Houston's drinking problems and about Travis's less than moral conduct. The cleanest of the bunch was Crockett.

There's only been one Person Who has walked this earth Who was pure as the driven snow, and you're not him, rsr. And neither am I, nor was Houston, Bowie, Travis, or Crockett, or Santa Anna.

So take your dig and stuff it in a convenient place. ;)

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Ken, you are a prize indeed. Most of America has accepted the John Wayne myth, and you propose that everyone knows better.

You have attacked me for agreeing with you. If I didn't know better, I would think you are a Texian, not an Arkansawer (or Arkanser).

I was simply trying to point out that the traditional Texian version of the Alamo was not the end-all and be-all of truth.

The Texas war for independence was a result of a complex mixture of slavery, Mexican arrogance and American filibustering.

Disagree with that.

Oh, BTW, I have never equated myself with the Christ and His holiness. That would be heresy and downright low and dishonest.

[ April 10, 2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was born and reared in Texas. I went to college in Searcy, Arkansas at a Church of Christ college and then came to work in El Dorado, Arkansas upon graduation. [​IMG]

As for the rest, I have no intention to argue over the slavery issue. Everyone probably knows my opinion about the War for Southern Independence as we have talked a lot about this on this board a few months back. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can take your Lone Star flag and Confederate flag and, as you say, "stuff it in a convenient place."

You are a difficult person, Ken. I try to agree with you and you are disagreeable.

Is it not a fact that "The Texas war for independence was a result of a complex mixture of slavery, Mexican arrogance and American filibustering?"

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a matter of obtaining independence for Texas from a brutal dictator. And I am grateful to those that accomplished that independence. Just like I am grateful to those who achieved our independence from England in 1776.

One can argue over the why's and wherefore's from now until Doomsday as human history is made by flawed humans, not angels.

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious. Foreigners were allowed to settle in Tejas so long as they converted to Roman Catholicism. How did all the Protestants get there? Do you suppose they lied?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they did, there ain't a thing anyone can do about it now. What's history is history.

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah. History is never over. Eventually, Mexico will retake Tejas, one way or the other.