1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The New Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Feb 19, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps this may be better for the CAL/ARMIN forum, but then again this is a question on the New Calvinism which is different. I have not done much study on the movement but has anyone? From what I understand Piper, Platt, Chan, Dever, Driscoll, and Washer are a part of it. Accurate? These are some differences according to Mark Driscoll.

• New Calvinism is missional and seeks to create and redeem culture.
    • New Calvinism is flooding into cities.
    • Old Calvinism was generally cessationist (i.e. believing the gifts of the Holy Spirit such as tongues and prophecy had ceased). New Calvinism is generally continuationist with regard to spiritual gifts.
    • New Calvinism is open to dialogue with other Christian positions.[6]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Calvinism

Is the New Calvinism worth it?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes..,if you want to keep it alive. I like Mark D., but I'm interested in why he was selected as the spokesmanxfor the movement.

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was a start:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/september/42.32.html

It is basically a calvinus redivivus (in popularity that is). I would not call Driscoll the only spokesman. In fact, I would attribute much of its revival to Piper and other more respected reformed preachers. How many preachers actually get a sermon jam in modern reformed rap songs??? I don't think Driscoll can say that.

PS-I love the resurgence of Christian rap w/ its reformed flare. The lyrics are not only exalting but quite stimulating to the mind. The beats are good too.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. I note the criticism of Clark (Westminster Seminary CA) in the link. He specifically suggests that the New Calvinists’ positions on infant baptism, covenant theology, and continuation of sign gifts are out of step with Reformed tradition and argues that the "New Calvinists" shouldn’t be called Calvinists merely because they believe in the five points (but suggests that adherence to the Three Forms of Unity and other Reformed confessions of faith is what qualifies one a Calvinist). Billings argues that the New Calvinists tend to “obscure the fact that the Reformed tradition has a deeply catholic heritage, a Christ-centered sacramental practice…”

It has been argued several times on the BB that Calvinism is an acceptance of DoG, which of course would not be an issue with referring to “New Calvinism” as Calvinism (but would be problematic with those holding to a more traditional form of Calvinism). I guess my question regards the impact of New Calvinism. Is this “New Calvinism” not only growing in non-historical Calvinist faiths (e.g., Reformed Baptist) but also showing resurgence in denominations that hold to a more traditional Calvinistic faith?

(By non-historical I mean Calvinism that has rejected much of Reformed thought but remained Calvinistic in soteriology; by traditional I mean those who maintain Reformed theology that extends beyond soteriology - e.g., sacramental elements, a Reformed view of the Church, infant baptism, etc).

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

To me, christian and rap are oxymoronic...kinda like dry water...but that's just mhho...:saint:

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, music and rap are oxymoronic. :tongue3:

7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give it a try. I recommend Shai Linne. He came out of Mark Dever's church (I think he even interned there?). His lyrics are very refreshing. I wish worship music were as theologically rich as his lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shai+linne

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

As for New Calvinism being more missional, I tend to disagree with that assessment. Many Calvinists were mission driven, to get the gospel throughout all the world.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

Not really. The "New Calvinism" isn't Calvinism at all, but is claimed to be by those who adhere to it, which appears to be most of those on this board who call themselves "Calvinists."
    You've got the gist of it right, I believe, and in answer to your last question, no. New Calvinism is at odds with Scripture.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may want to find a credible source. Anyone can post an article in wiki. According to wiki (if it is correct) they sound more like the Emerging Church. "New Calvinists" are usually the most cagey and difficult to deal with.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Do you remember the "New Nixon" in the campaign of 1968? By 1974, we all realized there was nothing new under the sun.

13. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why I cited the Christianity Today article written back in '06 about this phenomenon. I abhor wikipedia.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im sorry, I dont see the difference. Ive got lots of ancestors that were Calvinists and,

1. They sent out missionaries. In fact, they came from the UK & that they were missionaries to heathen Yanks.
    Also wouldn't you consider George Whitefield a Calvinist because he came here from England & traveled through this country preaching & planting missionary endeavors.

2. Regarding continuationist, have you read ML-J book, 'Joy Unspeakable?'

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And you consider that a characteristic?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again I dont see a 'phenomenon'.....what I see is a renewed interest (more so by the younger generations) which I find pretty cool to tell you the truth. Hopefully this will spon more churches that are more Calvinist in theology rather than those insidious blended churches.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this “New Calvinism” or Calvinistic resurgence primarily in “Calvinism means DoG” denominations (e.g., Reformed Baptist, etc) or is traditional Reformed denominations also seeing an effect? Being Baptist (and SBC) I typically interpret this to be a growth in Calvinism among younger evangelicals and Baptists, but I haven’t considered the implications it may have on traditional Reformed denominations.

18. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    The renewed interest is the phenomenon. In fact, it was said to be one of the top 10 ideas changing the world right now by Time Magazine.

[​IMG]

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yea....the same mag that made Obama man of the year. Brother Tim, thats kinda low on my credibility scale. :laugh:

20. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just consider... this is a liberal news magazine (using term losely), that identified a resurgence within protestant evangelicalism in America as an idea, top 10 no less, that is changing the world. That tells me that this movement is larger than some here are considering.

Like you, I don't think much of Time. But I think this does make an interesting point.