1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The New Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.......................................of course I am not alone on this.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Does anyone really know what "New Calvinism" is? Today, with this thread going ballistic, I've read all sorts of articles claiming it mixing Calvinism with the pentecostal/charismatic movement, that it is (as someone said) cessessionist, that it teaches all sorts of heretical things.

I'm not sure I can say with any certainty what New Calvinism is after all the stuff I've read today. This article seems to make an attempt to be objective, but I'm not sure it is relevant either.

#22 thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it is equated w/ NON-cessationism, but many pop-evanglical personalities (Driscoll, Chan, etc.) are charismatic. Much of it stems from Grudem's Syst Theo. It was very influential, and it is both calvinistic and charismatic. This breed, however, are not showy or emotion driven (for the most part). They certainly preach against prosperity preaching that is largely in the charismatic camp as well (their Piper influence).

There are also some other young Calvinist preachers and popular-writers that are not charismatic and may be classified as part of new calvinism (though they may not themselves say so). David Platt and Kevin DeYoung come to mind.

IMO, "new calvinism" is actually the Reformed Resurgence. That article will help explain a bit.

#23 Greektim, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question (last attempt before assuming no one knows). Is the New Calvinism or the Calvinistic resurgence limited to Baptist/evangelistic types of Calvinism or is it also an issue for traditionally Reformed churches? In other words, are churches who hold to historical Calvinism, such as Presbyterian churches, experiencing a renewed interest and growth due to this resurgence or is it limited to Calvinism = DoG folk?

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is hard for me to answer, b/c this is mostly speculation. That is why I have avoided saying anything. So treat this w/ what it is worth.

I can imagine 1 of 2 things happening (well maybe 3). First, traditionally reformed churches are gaining popularity or growing. Second, those disenchanted w/ the more formal reformed style churches (quite, reflective, mentally stimulating, doctrinally heavy) have crossed over to the emerging Acts 29 Mars Hill styled church (more emotion driven and existential).

I work with a lot of people from a very traditional reformed background (RCA, CRC, etc.). They seem to be one or the other.

The third possibility is probable as well... as been observed, those deeply entrenched in reformed theology despise the idea of a resurgence into reformed theology as if they were not part of it and it took place in a vacuum. Or, it is so "different" from real reformed theology that they don't like the labels the new calvinism or reformed resurgence has been given. But all extreme views are critical of those similar yet different views since they are not as extreme.

As for the SBC, as was pointed out, Southern Baptist Theo Seminary (I would argue Southeastern Baptist, my seminary, as well) has become very vocally reformed and many are flocking to that school. This has leaked down to the SBC itself causing its internal strife of Calvinism. So that could be a result of the reformed resurgence.