1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New Revised Standard Version.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

So at my Baptist Bible College that I attend, I have been informed that the NKJV study Bibles that I use are not appropriate for college as they are based on a text that does not take into account newer information on older documents.

I am not to worried about that, I knew that they were into the RSV and the NIV to begin with.

I have a NIV Bible, yet I dont have a RSV, much less a NRSV. My question is which do you think would be better for study, the NIV Bible or the NRSV?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry Ben, I hold to the "that does not take into account newer information on older documents" so would be unable to help discern which of those two is better.

Is the NRSV a dynamic translation like the NIV?

3. manchester

manchester New Member

We used the NRSV at the Southern Baptist university I attended.

I suppose then that KJV especially, as well as NIV and other old translations, are inappropriate for college study?

4. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

The NRSV is completely gender neutral, changing "brothers" to "brothers and sisters," "man" to "humankind," "son of man" to "mortals," "him" to "them," "he" to "God" whenever possible, etc., etc.

Yours,

Bluefalcon

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If so, Blue, I would RUN not walk away from using a "bible" that adds and changes the inspired words of God in the Greek as they translate them into English.

It is one thing to have dynamic translations; it is another to go afield from the Greek and suck new words/phrases out of your thumb!

Of the dynamic equivalent choices, the NIV is much better (though not a choice of mine!!)

6. stevec

stevec New Member

The NRSV is OK but not great. It is slightly more literal than the NIV but nowhere near the NASB or ESV. What I see as its biggest problem is that it tries to be everything to everyone--they even have a Catholic version with the Apocrypha. Its attempt to be as ecumenical and inoffensive as possible has the end result of having a watered-down, milquetoast message.

If I had to choose between the NIV and NRSV I'd probably go with the NIV but I still prefer my NASB.

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The NIV is a conservative, Reformed, evangelical dynamic equivalence translation.

The NRSV is a moderate, ecumenical, primarily formal equivalence translation with the exception that it uses gender neutral language.

The NIV is suitable for use as a very brief commentary from a Reformed perspective, but in my opinion it is not suitable for use as a Bible.

The NRSV, when the reader understands that it uses gender neutral language when the Greek and Hebrew do not, is, in my opinion, suitable for use as a secondary translation of the Bible when the primary translation is the NASB or the NASB updated version of 1995.

I would have nothing to do with any Bible “college” that uses any particular translation of the Bible. The Bible needs to be taught in the original languages with the use of whatever study aids are necessary.

[​IMG]

8. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

NRSV is Gender neutral but it is MUCH more literal than the NIV. I wouldn't recommend using either one as your main text.

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

You guys all should have seen the look on my face when my lecturer began to expouse the benefits of a "Gender Neutral" translation! :eek: :rolleyes:

Fortunatley I study predominantlty at an Evangelical non denominational college where the NKJV is quite o.k. I am doing an additional subject at the Baptist College to help me get through the number of pre-requisite subjects so that I can get into the good stuff sooner. [​IMG]

My defence of the NKJV was that to me it brings out the Trinity more clearly. One chap in my class piped up and said that no version really makes the Trintiy easier to understand as it is really just too hard. Yet what was interesting was that the lecturer suggested that the Trinty was in fact easy to understand irrespective of translation and we would soon find that out in upcomming theology classes, so I will find out eventually I suppose!

What I would point out with the NASB, which I also have a copy of and enjoy, is that the spelling of some words is different. - Color / Colour, Center / Centre. Which rules it out as an option. Yet it nevertheless is one of the best translations I agree.

10. Craigbythesea

You "rule out" a translation of the Bible because it uses the American spelling rather than the British spelling of two words? I would think that the accuracy of a translation would be infinitely more important than whether it uses American or British spelling!

[​IMG]

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those are just two examples Craig, As dumb as it sounds, if you misspell a word in an assignment they mark you down accordingly. Ones that I recognise I can change, yet I could easily be caught out without thinking. Hence they restrict it to other versions. Still it is fair enough, I dont think that an American college should have to spell in Australin spelling either!

12. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Ben, interesting that you would be marked down for using either spelling. My copy of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines Colour (chiefly Brit) as a variant of Color, and Centre (chiefly Brit) as a variant of Center - but either are still correct and acceptable spellings of the two words. By the way, I know that this is getting off topic, so to stay "on topic" I would choose the RSV over the NRSV or NIV (if those were my only three choices). Bruce

13. Craigbythesea

(Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

Any college teacher who would consider either “colour” or “centre” an incorrect spelling is grossly incompetent and should tell you something about the “college” where they teach.

[​IMG]

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I was never marked down for British spelling and I would use it a lot simply because I liked it. I don't recall a single complaint.

As a matter of fact, it is a little interesting that some papers are marked down due to spelling anyway. Unless you are preparing a formal report (for the practice of formal reports) often the info is what is graded rather than punctuation or spelling.

In Engineering, I turned in many papers where I wrote so fast that it came out a lot like my posts here. I was out-thinking my hand. The professor recognized that and ignored it. Now, if it was a Term-paper or higher (as in my masters) then if your spelling was horrible you might take a hit.

Typical tests were fast and written in the little blue-books by hand. Therefore, the teachers pretty much ignored spelling, grammar, etc. unless it was unreadable.

Your teacher almost sounds like a high-school or junior high teacher that will mark your grade down for not using a number 2 sharpened pencil.

15. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

My copy of the NASB nor the one on my computer uses those spellings of those words

16. Craigbythesea

No, of course not. The NASB is an American translations using spellings that are chiefly American.

[​IMG]

17. Keith M

Keith M New Member

If you absolutely must select between the NIV and the NRSV, I think I would go with the NIV. But of the "Modern versions" I think I would choose the NASB95 above either of the others...