1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The New Spirituality

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 17, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book Heaven is for Real has been released to the theaters and I would advise against supporting it for it teaches "New Revelation", alternative spirituality, and adds to the Bible (Rev 22:18). The book also give people the idea that anyone can go to heaven as long as they are sincere (Relativism), and that repentance from sin is not needed (Lk 13:3). The Bible warns about false teachers in the last days and warns us to test the spirits (1 Jn 4:1). Its sad how may are being deceived by this teaching, for Satan will surely use it to move people away from the atheistic worldview into the New Spirituality worldview which this book, Joel Osteen, Oprah, and others advocate. Satan does not want atheists, he wants followers of the New Spirituality.

http://www.christianbook.com/heaven...9946158/pd/946158?event=DVDs#customer_reviews

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

You haven't seen the movie, or read the book, right?

You don't know what you're talking about, Evan. Please become informed before you criticize.

I'd suggest you read about the Burpo family, their faith, the fact that they wrote the book and had approval rights over how the movie was made and the story in presented.

3. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

If we are in the last days, and God pours out His spirit, will we recognize it? I know nothing about the movie or book, so I couldn't flippantly reject it and assign it for evil without an in-depth study and guidance from prayer in the Holy Spirit.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've not seen the movie nor will but I've read the book and I'm with Evan. It's a movie and book we strongly caution our congregants against as completely unbiblical.

The nail in the coffin for me was when an unsaved friend read the book and posted on Facebook how she's not afraid to die now because she knows that she will be going to heaven where all are welcome. That broke my heart.

5. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

She denies Jesus but believes she is saved?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep.......

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Then she didn't really hear the message, because that is not what the Burpo's book, nor the movie, teach.

Let me add here, I'm not a big fan of the church background of the family. Trinity Fellowship is a nondenominational church leaning heavily Pentecostal in Amarillo, Texas. The senior pastor didn't go to seminary and he became a "marriage counselor" at the invitation of the church's senior pastor 32 years ago. To me, that's not taking the Bible seriously.

Nonetheless, the Burpos seem to be pretty solidly grounded biblically, and what I read in the book, and what I know of their content control over the production of the movie, leads me to believe they've told a fairly solid, though somewhat unbelievable, story of their son's journey.

#7 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So we have wings and halos in heaven and the angels will sing to the children "Jesus Loves Me"? That's not what I read in Scripture. There is just too much that is unbiblical in there and honestly, God told us what He wanted us to know about heaven and in some cases left things hidden. Why is He now using a 4 year old child - or an unsaved man as in the case of another book - to tell us what heaven is like?

Is there an instance in the Bible where we see a near death experience? We don't even hear what heaven is like from those who DID die and were raised from the dead!

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, too, know nothing of the movie or the book. But, apparently, near death experience plays some role. Let me share a personal story. And I have never had a "near death experience." But my earthly father did. Now he was a godly man, who believed in Jesus. But like many of us, especially myself, he had some flaws he was not too successful at overcoming.

He did not have a lot of self-confidence. And although he was a humble man, not thinking too much of himself, he had a critical spirit that thought others were prideful, arrogant, and hypocritical. Lets leave it that his many children did not receive much praise and adoration from him.

A year before he passed away, he had a near death experience. He was being operated on for heart problems, and he flat lined. I have no idea what actually happened but his heart started again after some time, (seconds or minutes I do not know) and recovered, and came home.

Well, as he told it, he had a dream during the time he was under, whether when his heart stopped or at some other time, I do not know, where he was walking in a green pasture and met Jesus.

So in that last year of his life, he was a changed man, kind, thoughtful, and adoring of his children. There is a song that says it all, Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.

God Bless

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly Ann... Heaven is for Real says both Paul and Jesus were liars. Paul was FORBIDDEN to write about his NDE. Jesus raised Lazaurus and did not allow him to speak about his experience and I wonder why he was forbidden yet some Weslyian is allowed to reveal what Heaven is like. Strange.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, Paul didn't have a NDE.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

Have you been to heaven to know that Colton "got it wrong"?

Look, I have no idea what Colton saw, and you're right, some of the things he says don't line up with Scripture, but they are entirely observation issues, and I'd ask again, who has been there to dispute him?

Perhaps he saw what four-year-olds expect to see. Maybe that is how he was comforted in being a little boy, finding himself unexpectedly in heaven. After all, age four is far too young to be at an "age of accountability" where he would "know" what to expect. The reality is, I don't think any of us really "know what to expect" when we get there and I suspect most of us will be surprised, including me.

I don't care that what he saw doesn't line up with my expectations from Scripture. I'm not sure any of us can accurately describe heaven today and be right. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of us would be dead wrong.

Further, I admit, it is a debatable issue as to whether anyone has actually died, gone to heaven, and come back. But given that as a possibility, anyone who thinks they have an accurate picture of heaven, even from God's word, that can compete with the eyewitness account someone who has been there is kidding themselves.

I think "Pastor Matt," an Amazon customer who uses that as his screen name, provides the insight we need for viewing this movie for what is, as the last line of his review of the book reveals. I'd urge you to read this whole review, not just the portion I felt comfortable, for space's sake, using in this post.
    The movie, as I've been told and what reviewers have said who have read the book, is very much in line with the book. Again, I haven't seen it.

The issue then is not whether the movie is theologically sound. The issue is, why was the book written and the movie made? Seems to me "Pastor Matt" nails it, and if you can't accept it on that basis, then you probably shouldn't see the movie, or read the book. Advising others negatively, however, based on its theology, is a bad idea.

Go ahead. Tell them to approach the premise with a grain of salt.

But don't cancel out their openness to the good news of a God of grace and mercy in the process.

#12 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the problem is when one accepts a book, or movie, as a truth if it is not theologically sound (if it rejects truths about God or His work as put forth in Scripture, or encourages an outlook that is contrary to God’s Word). I have not read the book or seen the movie as the premise seems unbiblical (as it seems to me that some are taking it as a 'proof' of heaven) and I’m not really interested in the topic (of death experiences, not heaven) – so not much comment from me. It suppose it could be along the line as “Touched by an Angel” or “Highway to Heaven” (and I liked Highway to Heaven…just didn’t watch it as a Bible lesson).

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So we take experience over Scripture? We know what heaven will be like - God wrote a book on it. ;) I stick with His description.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Is everything you experience supportable by Scripture? If not, how do you deal with it at the end of the day when it has become integrated into your memory?
    I don't believe we have a clue. The experience will blow away the advance reviews. :laugh:

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its amazing what people will say to justify their disobedience and unbelief.

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thank YOU!!!!!!

18. quantumfaith

:applause::applause::applause:

19. quantumfaith

Why not be a little more clear as to exactly what you are claiming here?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I believe that we DO have a clue. I've read the book from the original Author and He tells us quite a bit! I do agree that it will blow away anything we could ever dream of.

But yes, everything I experience is supportable by Scripture. Why wouldn't it be?