1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New Testament Reason for Honouring the Sabbath

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 14, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Spiritual Mad Man,

I am sorry. I shouldnt of said that to you. I am not exactly sure where I may have offended you but I am going to try to change.

I am sure we have both offended each other in ways, but I think it would be good to just stop it from now on.

Thanks,

Claudia

2. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Claudia,

Semantics is a tricky thing...

There is an art to making a point without sticking the point through the opposite debater...

I am not as good at it as I would like to be...

I call it giving *them* "wiggle room"...

"Taste these two statements"

Your home church is more legalistic than most...

-or-

Your home church appears to be more leaglistic than most from my vantage point...

Which is more palatable?

It's even as bad, and you know how this has stung, if I say,

The SDA church is a legalistic works based cult...

In this case, because it is your home church, I could have just as easily said,

Claudia is a part of a legalistically based cult...

This is because we closely identify with our home denominations...

But, even though I repeatedly made those statements, the point I was trying to make didn't dawn on you.

And, sadly I was too upset with you to explain it better...

For that I am sorry...

One of the things that has helped me 'relax' a bit more around people of different denominations is a verse that I have applied a bit out of the norm...

1 Corinthians 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

In this case I was attending a church that was quite a bit quiter than my own Pentecostal Roots and I had really started to have bad feelings about them...

And, this verse was brought to mind very forcefully with the impression that...

These people love me with their whole hearts (Same Lord) and if they want to administrate the gifts I have given them quietly that is their business not yours... (Big Gulp... Yes, Lord your servant hears!)

Basically, what the Holy Spirit was telling me was that God gave the Five Fold ministry Gifts to the churches and the Local Assemblies had the right, even responsibility, to set the local standard for their services...

Obviously if they were in error by saying Jesus wasn't Ressurected it wouldn't apply...

But, there are so many areas where it is a matter of conscience or semantics as regards to our practices in our own local assemblies...

I don't know if your stance on the Law, Ordinances and Ten commandments eclipses Christ and become works or not...

But, when it seems to be all you talk about you can see where I might think so?

It will take a while for us to sort all of this out...

But, remember when dealing with people of other faiths...

If it isn't a Salvation Essential Issue give one another a *lot* of Wiggle Room... :D

SMM

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry, but I don't understande.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For the Scriptures, just go back on the various threads - also for the 'why's' for why I "come up with something".

Jesus' resurrection meant, the Sabbath was, and therefore still is, the Seventh Day -- and vice versa -- FOR US as Christian Christian CHURCH. That's my whole point! We, Christians, Scripturally, have NO other grounds for believing or honouring, the Sabbath.

This may sound like beating around the bush - which it is because this is the presentation of my standpoint. From here on, we can consult the Scriptures, and actually TEST my thesis. And you are right, that it would make no sense unless supported by the Scriptures.

For one quick application: "God on the Seventh Day rested"; "God on the Seventh Day RESTED, THEREFORE ...."; "God THUS CONCERNING the Seventh Day SPOKE" ... to make another point. Here's yet another: "He (God) shall make you ride the heights of the earth ..." - through and in Jesus Christ exalted higher than every authority and power ... Eph.1:19f Etc.

I never said the Law doesn't apply anymore; I say the Law no longer applies as the Ten Commandments of 'the letter', but through and in Person of the Risen Christ --- COMPLETELY! (From the nature of the case there never be a contradiction; but there surely can and always be a clash of interest if the written Law is put first, and Jesus made an appendix.

Then you don't remember your post insinuating -- no, actually accusing me, for being a New Ager who practices witchcraft?

I have accused the SDA Church ONLY of what they accuse THEMSELVES of - Laodecea, gravel dry-ness and so on.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you don't kill because the Law says you musn't or you'll go to hell for it, then you're legalist;

If you don't kill because you have found yourself a for His sake forgiven killer of God's Christ, then you're Christian.
    Jesus said if you don't kill but hate, you're a killer still -- because you're legalist. Legalist means in the last analysis, hater -- not lover.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Fear is legalist; hate is legalist; desire is legalist; pride is legalist --- none of which the Law can cure. But Christ who convinces of the sickness and the cure, when He has cured, there is freedom and love and true and acceptable obedience.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Legalism isn't defined in terms and definitions; but grace is contained and defined in the personal Saviour of Jesus God's Christ. Rules and regulations never reach the end; cannot attain the ideal. It is Jesus Christ that takes one home ... to find rest, the 'pilgrim's rest'. The Sabbath is emblem of being saved by grace, and shall the Sabbath shall continue forever to serve Christ and His People - or cease to be.