1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NHL

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jul 14, 2005.

?
  1. No, I don't care for the sport.

66.7%
  2. Yes, I enjoyed the NHL

33.3%
  3. I caught an occasional game now and then, but really did not have much interest.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

What is your opinion regarding the NHL. Will you never watch another hockey game?

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well I am from the metro Detroit area, and hockey is part of our culture, so I will still continue to follow the NHL. Go Wings!

3. OCC

OCC Guest

Yup, right on.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

<yawn> the only time I even remotely enjoy the NHL is during the playoffs.

5. OCC

OCC Guest

Hardcore fans like it all the time, but the playoffs are the best.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I refer to it as the "Nyquil Hockey League". Boring.

7. OCC

OCC Guest

Didn't used to be boring. When I was a kid the NHL was awesome.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are working on rule changes to jazz things up for the upcoming season.

GO STARS!

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hockey seems to have a regional fan base, and though it may be small, die hard hockey fans are passionate about the game, so I don't think the NHL will die.

Most hockey fans were exposed to the game at a young age and grew up with it, so they do not think it to be boring, but others who casually observe from the outside do.

KJ and myself grew up aroud hockey, it is part of our culture. Canada is its home country, and Detroit is the closest large city to Canada and maintains close ties, hence Detorit is Hockeytown.

Go Wings! Now that they have a new head coach its time to win a Stanley Cup again!

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

If baseball can recover from the strike of 94, the NHL can recover from this.

11. NateT

NateT Member

Hockey is hard for me to watch on TV unless its the playoffs. Baseball is a lot like that for me. For there to be 80 games (or 160 in baseball) and not have a lot riding on each game, it isn't as exciting.

Plus, it's hard to watch the Avalanche play the Columbus Blue Jackets. It would be like watching the Royals play the Red Sox(and I'm from KC) -- One team has no business being there.

I think they spread themselves too thin (I'm not sure when Nashville, Columbus, Pheonix and other places became 'Hockey Towns') and charge too much to get into a game.

Let's just take it back to the original 6 teams or so... That would make it more interesting.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think you may be comparing apples and oranges here. They have different situations, different fan bases, different everything. I personally think it will be harder for the NHL to recover because of the smaller fan base, and I think this may have cost them a lot of the causal observers. But I hope they pull out of it and get back to being a top sport.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

There was a time not to long ago that hockey was one of the fastest growing spectator sports. So you had growth in the NHL with cities like Pheonix and Nashville.

14. OCC

OCC Guest

4Hisglory, you are right in your last two posts. [​IMG]

Nate...even though baseball plays so many games I still think most every game means something. Since there is a relatively small amount of teams making the playoffs, it is not good to fall too far behind.

Here's a tangential thought I just had. I love sports that are physical like hockey and football and then I love baseball because it's a "gentleman's" sport. Anyone know what I mean. It is cool to see opposing players talk at first base and all that. Baseball is just cool...except for the bench clearing brawls. That has no place in the game.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Nate, all those other cities you mentioned might have hockey teams and a fan base, but they are not "hockey towns" there is only one Hockeytown and that is Detroit!

16. NateT

NateT Member

4His_glory: I guess detroit has to have something :D

King James: What really bugs me about the meaninglessness of an individual baseball game is if a team (apart from the Yankees) lose a game, they walk off the field and look like "Oh well, there's always tomorrow." But you don't see that in the playoffs, they're devestated because they know that game actually meant something.

Even thought Hockey is hard for me to watch on TV (rather be at the rink) I think if they had it on more (not ESPN or ESPN2 - I don't get those), I'd watch more.

17. OCC

OCC Guest

Yep...Detroit is Hockeytown.

Hey Nate, yeah sometimes they do go off the field like "there's always tomorrow" but that is the case. They play so many games and every team slumps sometimes so there is tomorrow. Until the playoffs, yer right.

Hey we used to see the Red Wings on TV...and the Detroit Tigers but Mr. Illitch seems to not want to broadcast his teams anymore. That is sad. I'd much rather go to the games myself too.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yeah, its getting to the point where you can't watch any sports on regular TV anymore. Its like they are forcing everbody to get dish or cable.

Oh Nate, Detroit has a lot! The Pistons are one of the best NBA teams, the Red Wings are a perennial powerhouse, the Tigers are building and doing a decent job of it, and the Lions... well thats a differnt story.

But there is always U of M football! GO BLUE!!!

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Viva Los Tiburones de San Jose!! Viva!!
    or for my spanish impaired readers
    Hurrah for the San Jose Sharks!! Hurrah!!
    Burn the Leaves, Dull the Blades and Sabers

20. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL SquireRobertsson.

4Hisglory, yeah you are right. They are making it so you cannot watch sports on free tv anymore. Sad, it is.

I like UM football but how come they always blow it in bowl games? I went to see them play hockey against Notre Dame this year. Was pretty good.