1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The NIV defended

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, Aug 3, 2012.

1. MichaelNZ

MichaelNZ New Member

What issues with the HCSB do you have, in particular? I have a HCSB and rate it high at least on its readibility.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If you don't mind a little departure from the Tyndale/KJV here and there, the HCSB would be good (2009 edition).

I like the Tyndale legacy so I'm ESV for now.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    seems that the HCSB is similiar to the niv 2011, just a tad more "literal"!

still prefer the nasb myself, do you like the NKJV also to read/study from?

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In a way one can say the HCSB is NIV like. But there are some marked differences if we're talking the new NIV.

Consider the HCSB (2009) at Matthew 5:1-12, not what we're use to.

Both the NASB and the NKJV remain attractive to many. But they both need a bit of updating here and there.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    perhaps the Nasb will be in the future, once the nestle 28 edition is released, eh?

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Not a bad notion, but nothing to really be too excited about with the NA28.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think that we have now finally fixed on the "standard" Greek text, any future editions of nestle just basically "updating" for the textual critics, but not those using the Greek text itself to study off from/translate from?

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Remember, even with all the improvements here and there, in terms of papyri, etc, and linguistic scholarships, we're not talking much differences in the competing texts.

Perhaps, some will think of "Standard Text" as a matter of perspective. That's why I'm so fond of the critical apparatus.:thumbs:

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is why those who are the textual critics would have their Nestle 28th edition, while rest of us would use the UBS 4th edition greek, as we would want/need basically the 'greek text!"

10. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    that was probably a poor choice of words on my part. ;)

i will simply state that i'm not particularly fond of the HSCB.

11. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

The 1984 NIV is certainly not a perfect translation---none are---but I trust it. For many years, I did not. There are many areas for improvement. However, I do NOT like or use the 2011 NIV.
    Maybe one day a committee will get permission from Zondervan or whomever, and do a conservative revision of the 1984 NIV; like the ESV folks did with the 1971 RSV

12. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    that's a very interesting (and creative) suggestion. but, of course, that will never happen.

Zondervan and the CBT have no desire to compete with the more literal versions (e.g. the NASB, NKJV, ESV).

they are quite determined to hold "the middle ground." (Or at least what they perceive to be "the middle ground.)

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Since you made a great concession with the fact that no translation is perfect, I think you should extend the same reasoning to the fact that the new NIV is not for everyone. Just a thought.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that he did in a sense do that, as he considers the Niv 2011 to be a good "mediating' version, about same as say HCSB, just the ESV/NKJV/NASB would all be more functionally literal, thats all!

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

NIV: Translation or Brief Paraphrase!

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a blatantly false antithesis. Even the NLTse which is more dynamic than the NIV is still a translation ...not a paraphrase.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That may be your opinion but it is false. Repeating it makes it a lie.

18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If you two men would learn to read carefully before shooting your wad you would see that my post is a rhetorical question.

And Mexdeaf: I expected the response I got from Rippon having seen it before but I am surprised at your hateful response. Furthermore, expressing an opinion and even repeating it does not constitute a lie.

But I will express my opinion, call it dynamic equivalence all you want, the NIV is a brief paraphrase.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sir, I did not mean to be hateful, and I am truly sorry that you took it that way. In no way (except perhaps in your mind) is the NIV a "brief paraphrase". To call it that is untrue.

(And I am in no way a fan of the NIV. I prefer the ESV.)

Call it an "opinion" all you want, when it is a false "opinion" it deserves to get called what it is.

:godisgood:

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was not rhetorical at all and you know it sine you have expressed the same false idea for more than a year now.

Expressed opinions can of couse be falsehoods. Merely calling something an opinion doesn't give it the kind of cover you demand.

The NIV is not even a dynamic equivalence version so certainly not a paraphrase as you repeatedly assert.

What you need to do (among other things) is to look at the list of translators for the NIV. They aren't called translators for nothing. They have had a great deal of scholarship to do their task.

With some exceptions such as Tyndale,Weymouth,Norlie and others most true paraphrases have been one-man projects such as J.B.Phillips and Kenneth Taylor with his 1971 Living Bible.

You may certainly not amend your incorrect claims,but I am curious what other Bible versions you would label as paraphrases.