1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The NIV Is In Good Company

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Oct 24, 2015.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Europeans still kiss when meeting in public. It is only American homophobia that assumes those kissing are sodomites.

And if the passage was "secret" how do we know about it?

Not to mention the palace is riddled with "secret" passages so the Royal Guard could enter and leave unobserved, and the Monarch had a means to escape in the event of insurrection.

It is all vile speculation. Evil speculation.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC, I would like you to respond to my question.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know about the kissing rituals Tom, being a 3rd generation American with an Italian/Eastern European heritage.

I grew up visiting our Italian relatives on my father's side almost every Sunday with lots of greeting and goodbye kissing even by the men!

The rest of the day was spent eating and shouting at each other! :)

Same on my mother's Eastern European/Jewish side but not so intense and passionate.

HankD

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not addressed the contents of James' letter to George Villiers where he called him his "sweet child: and "wife" and he called himself George's husband. You have thrown insults and innuendo about the source of the letter, implied that I visit gay websites and support the gay agenda. So, why don't you address George = Wife; James = Husband?

Who said they only kissed upon meeting?

Originally built in 1470-80 by Sir Guy Wolston, it then sold to Sir Walter Mildmay and stayed in his family for 350 years. Its stately apartments were where James I indulged in "more commodious entertainment... and princely recreation" with his favourite, George Villiers, later to become the Duke of Buckingham. Workers uncovered a passage connecting the pair's bedchambers during the recent renovations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7436409.stm

It is established fact. Deal with it. It doesn't make the KJV any less of an excellent translation. I merely offered up this historical fact as a counterbalance to the allegation that the NIV had a lesbian on the translation committee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not convinced.

Also, I have been known to be very stubborn.

HankD

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a first generation American. I have finally outlived all of the older generation. Doing so has greatly improved my hygiene! :D:D:D

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    British males do not kiss each other when meeting in public (James was British). I cannot speak for every single European country, but I have not observed the practice in my travels in Europe.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC, this is my third attempt to get you to answer my question above. Please do so.