1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Nobel Winner v. The Cowboy

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Rolfe, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you dare to try to play that crap with me about discrediting our troops. Don't insult the intelligence of those serve. They didn't walk out of there feeling like they won anything. They walked out with mostly apathy and anger from having gone in the first place. Especially those that had several deployments. You can wrap yourself in an American flag in your living room and claim victory but we sure didn't win anything worth the effort of ten years and countless U.S. lives. Everybody loves to play shellgames with the lives of U.S. Soldiers from their living room. It is sickening. If you think we pulled the plug too early. Too bad. Why don't you go buy a plane ticket to fill the gap.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Touchy, touchy.

Quit whining. Not everyone feels the way you do. Many Iraq veterans (90%) take pride in their accomplishments while they mourn their losses. The price was high. It always is. Maybe too high. It always is. That's war. Get over yourself.

#62 carpro, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The vast majority of veterans left Iraq knowing we won and very few regret having gone. Where anyone gets any other idea is just odd other than media matters and huffpo. Regardless it is not true. It is a shame that Obama left the accomplishments in Iraq to a shambles. The current situation in Iraq is nothing but Obama's fault. To say othewise is nothing but extreme liberal garbage.

4. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I earned the right to "whine" when I lost dear friends for no reason. Tell me what it is exactly we won.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll go for that, but you should remember before you go on a rant like you did that you are not the only person on this board who has been to war.

Be thankful you came home to a grateful nation.

6. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a load of crap. You have no idea what you are talking about. I guess the hundreds of people I have served with are just lying when they reflect back on Iraq with disgust and had to serve multiple year long deployments. The current situation is what happens when you a topple a government with absolutely no exit strategy or sustainable plan to leave the country. I guess you are all big fans of letting the military remain in the country for another 20 years so they can get picked at by snipers at drive over IED's. No surprise you all have that attitude considering you aren't the ones that have to do it.

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm well aware of that and I am grateful to have been able to come home to this nation and my family. Now it would be great if we could just stay here for a while. You know what I mean? I've been to more memorial services than I can count. I never said I was the only one on the board to have gone to war. My post in no way is a slander to the military or their effort. Everybody I served with gave maximum effort but we were Soldiers, not nation builders. It just isn't what we were trained to do.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pride and Pain

9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's great and a lot of Soldiers simply sucked it up and kept going because that's what Soldiers do. Now I wish politicians and the American public would stop taking advantage of that mentality by understanding that the military has given them a lot over the last ten years. As for being wort it, I can find at least one person to disagree with that for every quote you post about it being worth it.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soldiers in the service of this country have been "nation builders" ever since WWII, whether they like it or not.

Wars are not consigned only to a field of battle. They are fought amongst someone's civilian population. We do not have a history of fighting the fight, then leaving it to the locals, without providing them with assistance and continued protection.

Because of Vietnam, where we did exactly that, the result of doing so in Iraq was entirely predictable.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you can't.

90 % would do it again. You will run out of those that disagree very quickly.

The number is 90%, not 50%.

You are very much in the minority.

12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are going to have to give me a source on that. Also, the question of whether or not they would do it again vs. was it a necessary war are not comparable. I would do it again simply because of what it did for me as a person and it is something I experienced that few others can understand. It doesn't mean that we wouldn't have been better off as a nation avoiding a country and culture we didn't understand.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already did, but here's another:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/state-veterans/

Whether or not it was a "necessary" war has not been a part of this discussion up to this point. It has been about being proud of what you did and not allowing the left to take your win away from you like they have done in the past. Something I am intimately acquainted with.

14. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just said I would do it again but that isn't an endorsement of the war and and no one is taking a "win" away from them. We aren't talking about the Yankees here. Tell me what we won?

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already told you that , as well.

Saddam dead. Insurgency quelled. Al Qaeda routed.

Mission accomplished.

You won what is known as the Iraq War. Soldiers don't decide who or why they go to war and they don't decide the fate of nations after the battle. Politicians do.

16. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saddam is dead yes. The insurgency was never quelled. Al Qaeda wasn't even the only game in town. There was Jaish al Mahdi and Jaish al Islami as well. They have not stopped being active.

All of this is water under the bridge but look at the bright side. THE COWBOYS JUST SQUASHED THE SAINTS!

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    History says you are wrong.

Except about the Cowboys.