1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NT insists that you must obey Jesus to gain eternal life!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist-7, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

There are multitudes of warning passages that do not blatantly warn of losing eternal life.
    Here is one of my favorites:

Matt 7:24-27 • “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them,
    I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain
    descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house;
    and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
    But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them,
    will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended,
    the floods came,and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

“The difference between a true Christian and a false Christian cannot easily be seen …
    If our greatest desire is to know Christ and to be like Him, then we are building our
    house on the rock … The true Christian is the one who knows Christ and obeys Him.
    He hears the words of Christ and puts them into practice (Matt 7:24).
    To know Christ is to love Christ. To love Christ is to obey Christ.
    He is the one who builds his house upon the rock.”
    … The Applied New Testament Commentary, Thomas Hale, ChariotVictor Publishing

More verses to do with obeying Jesus

Heb 5:9 • “And after being perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.”
    “It was through His obedience that Jesus became the source of eternal salvation.
    In the same way, it is through our obedience to Him that we obtain that salvation.
    … Both faith and obedience together are necessary for our salvation.
    … It is impossible to separate faith and obedience; they are like two blades of a scissors.
    … we are saved through obedience to Christ is the same as saying that
    we are saved through faith in Christ” (see Reference above)

Luke 8:21 • “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.”
    Luke 11:28 • “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

John 14:15 • “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
    John 14:21 • “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.”
    John 14:23 • “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word …”
    John 15:14 • “You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.”

Rom 6:16-19 • “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are
    that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to
    righteousness? … so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.”
    In Romans 6:15-23, Paul is very tactfully saying:
    “You had better be slaves of obedience, instead slaves of sin ... or you will face eternal death!”

Heb 3:17-18 • “Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned,
    whose corpses fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not
    enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?”

James 1:21-22 • “… receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to
    save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”
    “The word of God has been planted in us. We need to believe it, accept it, study it, nurture it.
    If God’s word grows within us, it will save us. However, if we allow God’s word within us to die,
    it will not save us (see Mark 4:14-20).” (see Reference above)
    This last part is what the Parable of the Sower is teaching!

1 Pet 1:22 • “Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit …”
    IMO, the Spirit told them to obey the gospel and Christ’s commands.

1 John 5:2-3 • “ By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and
    keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.”

1 John 3:24 • “Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.”

Warning: put your trust only in the Scriptures and the precious Holy Spirit.

#1 evangelist-7, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.