1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Obama-biden Ticket Is The First Ticket Of Either Major Party In Sixty-eight Years

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should it be a big deal? Our nation has not participated in a major war that required millions of troops in 36 years. Therefore, relatively few Americans have served in the military since 1972.

#2 KenH, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think so since that ticket was elected.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

If anything, I think it's a plus for the democrats.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It's not that big of a deal to me. It's not like Gore was a Green Beret or anything so this is not really new. Besides, I just don't believe that military service, while honorable and helpful as a candidate, is requisite for high office.

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

How can a person with no military experience be the commander-in-cheif of all of our armed forces? How can a civilian command generals?

AJ

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Uh, that was the whole purpose at the beginning, otherwise military would have been a requirement.

Very few of our presidents have been military leaders. The last general, I believe, was almost 50 years ago.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because this is the United States and not a banana republic.

By the way, did you have a problem with Ronald Reagan being president? He had no military experience.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As uncomfortable as this is at times - (Clinton fer instance) - it's the best for this country because, as Ken says, we are not a "Banana Republic" that is open to the rule of anybody who might have the most rifles & grenades at any given time.

Yep, this is one of those "founding" principles that I feel shows the leading of God in our foundation.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

What kind of military leadership experience is getting shot down and sitting out the war in a prison camp? Sounds like qualifications for the CIA.
    Does time in the slammer qualify one to be a police officer?

11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Actually this wasnt a poke by me on Obama/Biden. I have asked this question for years. And yes, Reagan really raised the question for me the first time.

I know its not mandatory that a president have military experience, but especially during a time of war, it cant hurt.

AJ

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am SO glad for the wisdom in having a civilian commander-in-chief and that it is the norm.

How many professional soldier presidents have we had since 1900?

Eisenhower, maybe Kennedy and Carter?

Give me a civilian anytime in the White House.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    George H.W. Bush got shot down during World War II.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken, I know you cant believe everything on the net, but why not check out: Regans military service

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As much as I liked Ronald Reagan his military experience was about equal to that of Al Gore.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not true. Ronald Reagan enlisted in the Reserves as a private on August 29, 1937, became a Lieutenant, was called up on active duty in April, 1942, served active through Dec. 1945, having attained the rank of Captain, and his Reseve status ended a few years later, in the 1950s.

And every President gets "military expeience", from the time they are sworn in to that office, by virtue of the Constitution, whether they've had any previous military experience or not, by virtue of being Commander-in-Chief.

As you noted, the United States is not a "banana republic".

Ed

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

He is also one of the youngest Pilots in US Military History, and may in fact, be the youngest ever to get shot down, and survive.

Ed

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Four years ago I ran for State Assembly. My opponent was the Democrat incumbent. I ran on the Conservative Party line - there was no Republican candidate. I was talking to Bill one day and asked him about his military service. He told me that he served in the JAG Corps in the Army Reserves. Due to that, he said he felt he was not a veteran. I told him we both wore the uniform with pride, and that made him a veteran!, and that he should be proud of it.

Salty

ps I only received 13% of the vote - but I spent less than $25!

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I just want you to know that if I had been there, I would have voted for you! :thumbs: