1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The old man

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by trustitl, Nov 30, 2007.

1. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Col. 3:9 "Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him"

Eph. 4:20 "But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

Rom. 6:6 "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

What is the current status of the "old man" for a believer? What is the new man? How does your understanding of this effect your walk with God?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am a Christian who truly believes in putting off the old man and putting on the New. I do not believe Christians commit such sins as:
    1Cr 6:9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1Cr 6:10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Paul continues with the scripture;

1Cr 6:11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

I strongly believe in the bolded above. Some say Christians can't keep from doing the sins they did before being saved. I deny that until I die. We are kept by the power of God.

1Pe 1:5Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

2Cr 12:9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Do we have a strong God or a weak one??? Just my belief.

1Th 5:23¶And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

A Christian is to be Christ like. Adulterers, etc are not Christ like.

BBob,

#2 Brother Bob, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rom 6

5For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
    6knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so thatwe would no longer be slaves to sin;
    7 for he who has died is freed from sin.

8Now if we
    have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
    9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.

10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
    11Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
    12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
    13and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead,
    13 -and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

14For sin shall not be master over you[/b], for you are not under law but under grace.
    15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace?
    May it never be!
    16Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
    17But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin[/b], you
    became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,

18and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
    [/quote]

4. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Brother Bob,

These were your words:
    I am a Christian who truly believes in putting off the old man and putting on the New.

What does that mean? How do you do it?

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

By being borned again.

Rom 6:6Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Rom 6:13Neither yield ye your members [as] instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members [as] instruments of righteousness unto God.

Rom 6:14For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Many don't believe this, even though it is scripture. We are saved by God's Grace and His Grace does not leave us and is sufficient for us. They say they believe it, but then go on and say a Christian can committ any sin known unto mankind. I don't believe that. We sin, but not sin unto death.

By believing in Jesus Christ and being "born again".

BBob,

#5 Brother Bob, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The Old man has been crucified with Christ. Period.

2. But for some reason known wholly to God, remains of the Old remains in the believer.

3. So we are engaged in the process of sanctification to rid ourselves of the pollution of sin.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: To the end that we, in this present world, put to death the old man and live wholly sanctified unto God, which is by the way, our reasonable service. Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

I believe that many have engaged the old man and by faith overcome and entered into that rest in this present world through the help and strength promised us by God. 1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

That is NOT to say that sin is impossible for them, but that if they sin they sin so little it rightfully can be said of them that they do not sin.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Amen HP..........

BBob,

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

Brother Bob, should not it be the honest intention and hope of every believer to walk a consistent holy sanctified walk before God as we rely on His promised strength and help in this present world?

10. Joe

Joe New Member

The underlined is why I seek out your posts Brother :) You are very firm on sin. Could I ask you a question about effeminate? I just looked it up, and was surprised at the definition. It seems to me that one can't help being effimate to a degree, even an to extreme degree in some cases? If that is too complicated for a simple answer, and may hyjack this thread, no need to reply. I have never heard of that word until now. OR I don't recall noticing it in my reading of the scriptures.

#10 Joe, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That is the duty of every Christian to strive to be perfect, not to see how close he can go to the edge of destruction.

BBob,

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

Has anyone else heard the old chorus that went something like this?

Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me
    All His wonderful passion and purity!
    Oh Thou Spirit Divine
    All my nature refine!
    Till the beauty of Jesus be seen in me!

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well HP, it is beautiful for that is our duty to be Christlike.

BBob,

14. Joe

Joe New Member

Yes, we sing it from time to time

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I guess Bro. Joe, it would depend on who is doing the judging. If God is judging, he will get it right, and if a man goes so far as God considers him effeminate. then I say he has a problem, for this is who God is going to send "strong delusions" and I would not care to be in his shoes.

I cook at home, if that is a femine thing to some, I pray it is not to God, for if we don't prepare our food, we will die. I love to cook, but not clean up. I fix the best turkey known to mankind. Everyone who has ever had the pleasure of tasting my turkey will testify to the same.

Girlish things, I believe, he is talking about cross dressing so as to be seen of men, for the def says something to that manner.

BBob,

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Alright :thumbs: We ought to trade receipes :laugh:

I agree. It probably falls more along the lines of cross-dressers. I wear my wife's clothes sometimes.

Imo, when we think of our attire as more than just material to cover our body, that is when it could be sinful.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Maybe you misunderstood me. I certainly do not wear women's clothes and believe that is what it is talking about that is wrong.

BBob,

18. Joe

Joe New Member

I don't think there is a misunderstanding here. I only wear some of her shirts, bike clothing, sweat clothes etc.. no dresses (of course :)) Nothing effemiate.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

As long as you are not wearing them to pretend to be a woman.........:) Such as sweat clothes, you can hardly tell the difference, if you can.

20. Joe

Joe New Member

Nope.......We only exchange clothes which are appropriate for both genders. Our teenage son doesn't like men wearing pink though, even dark pink. We have no pink clothes

#20 Joe, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007