1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Old Time Way

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by danthebaptist, Feb 24, 2008.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Dan, welcome - and your views are welcome here. I'm sorry you happened in on such a difficult worship experience on the day you described.

I would ask you to not cast the same cloud over all churches that have either more contemporary or even blended worship styles.

There are many of us who seek to worship God in spirit and in truth in many different ways. I love the hymns of old - so rich in theology. But I love some of the newer hymns and praise songs as well - so rich in absolute praise and worship of God. As for their simple and repetitive nature, how often do you feel we'll be saying "holy, holy, holy" in eternity? Pretty simple, yet very deep.

I find that worship is not in the style of music, but in the heart of the worshipper - expressing love and thankfulness toward God. This simply cannot be limited to personal style or preference.

As for raising hands during worship, how do you account for the psalmist's encouragment not only to raise holy hands, but to clap them as well at times? I say that as I am agreeing with your assertion that we should approach the Lord in humility and deep contrition - but we can also approach the throne of grace boldly, can we not?

Your preference in style is noted - and appreciated. May God bless you as you worship Him in spirit and in truth.

And I'm sure there are contemporary churches everywhere that are not following the way - as many traditional churches are doing also. I have known of several die-hard hymn-singing churches that were just as wayward as any of the so-called "contemporaries." But let us pray that our worship becomes more than personal preference.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You cannot afford air conditioning, but you can afford an internet service and the time to type posts that do nothing but inflame. Maybe you should be working a second job if you are so poor.

What does Calvinism have to do with a license to sin?

You are not taking a stand against the world, you are creating rules that are not in the Scripture and inventing your own Gospel.

Folks, this cannot be serious. This guy is a plant.

#22 saturneptune, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  3. rbell

rbell Active Member

At the top of my screen, there's an ad for Sanderson's church.

Maybe he's back...

4. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

Afraid, I don't know what you mean by this. You know we old fashioned people are a little slow, but I guess if I am a plant, then at least I have some roots. Something that can not be bad in a drifting world. :saint:

I've realized I don't know how to cut and paste these quotes but don't have time to work on it now. Better go to another job to earn airconditioning money. The air is working great today! Especially out in the barn.

See you tomorrow, if the creek doesn't rise and no one's sewing machine falls apart.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ok, I give up. Who is this really?
    [​IMG]

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I think it's funny how people metaphorically form "old time" as an idol and think everything always needs to look "old time", sound like "old time", think like "old time".....and probably smell "old".

I don't think God thinks it's funny.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 1:29-31 gives at least 24 sins, with homosexuality, lesbianism, pride, and idolatry before these verses, making the number of mentioned sins at least 28 or 30. Not to mention you have the sin of adultery, the implied sin of hypocrisy or double-standard, contentiousness, unrighteousness, and stealing in chapter 2.
    "Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:"

Galatians 5:19-21 says:
    " Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." 17 named sins.

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 1:29-31 gives at least 24 sins, with homosexuality, lesbianism, pride, and idolatry before these verses, making the number of mentioned sins at least 28 or 30. Not to mention you have the sin of adultery, the implied sin of hypocrisy or double-standard, contentiousness, unrighteousness, and stealing in chapter 2.
    "Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:"

Galatians 5:19-21 says:
    " Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." 17 named sins.

danthebaptist, brother, stay within the confines of the Bible when condemning sin, and I don't think there will be any on this board that will go head to head with you.

but, please, each church is autonomous, and answers to its supposed and implied Head, which is Christ, administered solely by the Spirit.
    God bless you if your church and your ways are old time, and may He prosper you and your kind.
    But yours is yours and "theirs" is "theirs".

(sorry about the double post, folks. but I have a Gateway laptop with Vista as its OS, and I kid you not, the mouse pad has a mind of its own, if I leave the pointer on any link, it opens that link !!! Does anyone have the same problem, or is this another one of those Vista oddities. I don't like Vista. Give me '98, 2000, ME or XP anytime.)

#28 pinoybaptist, Feb 25, 2008
  9. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is 43:19 says, "Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it?"

Our God is a creative God. He gives His children enormous gifts and talents to be used for His glory, to bring Him honor. Its just a shame that some try to keep Him in a box from the 1950's, like somehow He is not allowed to do a new thing today.

Listen friends, let Him out of your box! Stand back and see what He'll do today, right now.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have Vista and don't have any problems with it.

I think your pointer has run amuck!

Try checking your pointer properties. Maybe you've got it set wrong or too sensiitive.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, AmyG. will try that, soon as I get home....good idea...(am in a library right now...just finished taking a proctored exam for my BSIS).

12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Edited because I don't want to feed a troll.

#32 abcgrad94, Feb 25, 2008
  13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Wow! You're "strummin' my face with your fingers -- singing my life with your song!" (Hope you've heard the song "Killing me softly with his song..." :laugh: )

I went to just such a revival that tried to get EVERYONE unsaved just like that! If you didn't "have your serpent-skin boots on," you'd a never gone back (as you say).

skypair

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Please -- there is no comparison there, sn. Maybe you should find out the facts. You might be inclined to "take up a collection" if you walked in danthebaptist's shoes.

Not as serious as all that, I'm sure. He is clearly talking about "preferences" and "meat." not theology and fluff.

skypair

15. skypair

skypair Active Member

Ditto for those who keep Him in a 16th century "box."

skypair

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Used to be one of my favorite songs, SP, actually,
    I could make my guitar "sing" the song, just pickin' and pluckin' on it, back then.
    You got the lyrics a little wrong, though.
    "strummin' my pain with his/her fingers, singin' my life with his/her song, killing me softly with his/her song....."

I think Roberta Flack was referring to Don Mc'Lean's style of singing, as the story goes.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

OK Pinoy, just what is BSIS? :laugh:

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

It's a real shame when you have to bow down to culture to be a christian. Instead of just going by the bible.
    And by the way, I don't know a single Calvinist who believes in a license to sin. The ones I know are serious christians who believe in scripture, and not adding to it like you have.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

And how much did you pay for a computer and internet.

20. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BS in Information Systems. Trying to get a degree. At 60, mind you.
    I finally got past technical algebra, after 8 months !!
    Now I gotta go and rassle with technical physics !
    Good Lawd, I just want a paper they call a diploma hangin' on me wall !