1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The OT still counts

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, May 18, 2013.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Jesus did not "take the law away" as you say. He took away the list of grievances against us for the many laws we have broken away. That's a very different thing.

So how are WE under grace differently than Abraham?

How are we under grace DIFFERENTLY than Moses?

In what ways were they under the law differently than we are under it?

You are not giving straight, thorough, clear answers to these questions.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Because the spirit of the law was NEVER that you can under no circumstances ever carry your bed.

Jesus is not introducing something new. He is pointing out that they don't understand the old which they CLAIM to understand.

He is not saying- It is no longer this way. He is saying- it was NEVER the way you people are trying to make it.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Okay, here we go again. Look at these passages again, and I will explain it to you:

The Law was what God gave Moses to Govern His people, Israel by. When Christ came, He took the Law and nailed it to the cross, so that we now live under Grace and not the Law. The only thing the Law could do was bring guilt, condemnation, death, etc. It can, at best, bring us TO Christ, but not INTO Christ. Only Grace can do that.

Abraham had a covenant with God pre-Law. God promised him that through his seed, shall all nations be blessed. He was talking about Jesus Christ.

Moses was given the Law from God directly, and this was how He was going to Govern His people. If they broke even one of them, they died. Under Grace, if we break one, we repent and are forgiven, and not killed.

The Israelites(and Moses, too) were given a fleshly covenant betwixt themselves and God. It was a fleshly covenant that had to due with their fleshly body and not their inner man. When they sinned, they died a physical death. Now that we are under the Grace Covenant, when we sinned knowingly and willingly as a child before God, we died spiritually. We are under the Law then, because breaking God's Law brough guilt, condemnation spiritual death, etc. In this condemned state, it brought me to Christ, because I was a condemned, dead, guilty sinner, who was pleading for his life. He saved me, and placed me in Him, and saved my soul, putting me in the Grace Covenant. The Law brought me to Christ as a condemned sinner, and Grace made me a free christian.

I hope this has cleared things up.

Now, I leave you with a two verse passage and one simple question:

Gal. 4:4,5

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

If we're under any semblance of the Law now, why did God send His Son to redeem us who were under the Law?

#43 convicted1, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My two cents, because I don't mind y'all letting me know where you think I'm in error:

The law wasn't "put away." Not sure where people keep coming up with that. The law was never meant to be the way to get saved; it was our schoolmaster to let us know what God considered (and still considers) sin. Somewhere along the way, it got corrupted into "you must do this or you won't get into heaven."

But it hasn't been put away, or we wouldn't still be seeing references to it such as in Romans 13.

Let me ask this: Jesus commanded "love thy neighbor." Is that something we do to get saved, or because we're saved? The same goes for "don't murder, don't steal, don't commit adultery," and the rest.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We live under a BETTER Covenant with god, for NOW he indwels us by the HS, seals us, and we have direct access to God, being fully justiifed by the Blood!

The Law served its point, as a means to regulate sinful men weak in their own flesh, and to point them towards Christ..

jesus came, we are under the new coveannt, and now have the means to actually obey and serve him, by the person of the HS in us, the law now wriiten upon our hearts!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

think our friend might have gotten a dose of Hyper Dispy, as those holding to such would see Jews saved by law, gentiles by grace, as hey did REALLY focus on the 2 different Covenants as means to being saved by God!

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The Law and the Prophets were until John, since then, the Kingdom of heaven is preached, and men press into it....Luke 16:16. Christ was born of a woman, born under the Law, to redeem them that were under the Law. Then in Galatians 4, Apostle Paul uses the allegory of Mount Sinai. Then in Hebrews 8, the writer makes mention of the Law and Grace Covenants, and that if the first(Law) had been faultless, there would have been no need of the second(Grace Covenant). The Law was a curse in that no one, even unto this day, has been able to keep it, with the exception of Christ. The Law only brought death, guilt, condemnation, knowledge of sin, etc. We who are saved, aren't under the Law whatsoever, but Grace. Romans 8:1 states "Therefore, there is no more condemnation for those who in Christ Jesus......" I'll take his word on it. Apostle Paul was a "Law basher" because he lived under it, thought it was the "cat's meow", but when Jesus opened his eyes to the Truth, he realized it only condemned him, and killed him(Romans 7).

1 John:4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

The reason why we "love thy neighbor" is because God has saved our soul and took His abode in our life. The love we share with one another is evidence of the new creature that God has created, through His Son's shed blood.

#48 convicted1, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I'm being obtuse -- but I didn't see anything there that contradicted what I wrote.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Was that a multiple thumbs-up on me being obtuse? <grin> )

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Nope....being acute....hehehehehehee

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're still not answering the questions directly.

Stating that Abraham had promises made to him about his seed blessing all nations does not answer the question, "How did Abraham LIVE DIFFERENTLY under the law than we do?"

Here is the thing. You function under the mistaken notion that the law did something spiritually for them that it stopped doing when Jesus came.
    You believe they did not have grace but law and now we have not law but grace.

That simply is not true.

The passages you keep referring to are talking about the sinner before salvation vs the sinner after salvation- not Old Testament life vs New Testament life.

Before salvation he was under the law, the penalties of it being fully brought to bear upon him. After salvation the handwriting of ordinances against him, the laws he broke and their penalty, has been nailed to the cross of Christ and he is under them no more.

Law never made anyone righteous. That has not changed one bit from Moses to Paul.

Salvation was by grace as much for Aaron as it was for Timothy.

Moses gave us the law written down that expressed what God has always deemed sin.

Jesus brought us grace to save us from our transgressions of the law.

But the law is still as valid as it was in Moses' day and grace was just as much the agent of salvation in Moses day as it is our own.

They looked to the grace that was coming. We look to the grace that has come.

But the moral law of God still expresses what sin is and we still have to keep it- not to be saved but to keep from sin.