1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Pagan" roots of the "Traditions" of Rome

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Jerry Shugart, Nov 14, 2003.

1. MikeS

MikeS New Member

All that were burned in this passage were books used in the magic arts. How you get from that to "pagan things" is something you'll have to explain to us.

2. MikeS

MikeS New Member

And that about says it all for me!

Since you're quoting Cardinal Newman with apparent approval, do you also approve of this statement?

3. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Well, Jerry, you still have a problem.

WHAT do you do with us Eastern Orthodox? We developed a completely different Liturgy than the Roman rite and even after the schism of 1054, we never repudiated one of the teachings which we share with the Latin Church.

Everything in our Liturgy is stylistically different than in a Mass, the culture is different, the saints are different, but yet we share in the same doctrines.

HOW, sir, did that happen? I need you to explain this to me. We were not influenced by Rome one bit. There were parishes in the East long before Constantine supposedly "paganized" the Church. The beliefs you don't like and call "pagan" were around in the East long before Constantine or the organization of the Roman rite and the papacy as an official organism.

So explain...if you can...how we developed these so called "errors" before Rome and the papacy actually existed and functioned over the Church.

How bout it?

And I notice that you got some excellent answers from my Latin brethren and basically blew them off. But what they said still stands.

For instance, the Protoevangelium of Genesis contains the promise of a woman giving birth to a child who would be the Redeemer of mankind. WHAT do you not understand about how that lore could be, over 1,000's of years, corrupted into a pagan form? This is where all the mother/child pagan religions such as Isis/Osiris -- Tammuz/Nirmod, etc. developed from. Does that make the truth wrong that pagans had a corrupted and incomplete form of it?

Well if so, better dump the Trinity (or maybe you don't believe in it anyway, hmmmm?) because the idea of a Triadic godhead was taught THOUSANDS of years before the Church taught it as truth.

Paganism has a lot of partial truths in it...they are obscured because of time and how lore was passed down, and also because men, in their sinful natures, distorted them to use them to get power over others. That does not make the truth untrue. It simply means that the Church would go forth and clarify and teach all mankind the truth in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Brother Ed

4. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

MikeS,

The books used in the magic arts were indeed things of the pagans,and they were an integral part of pagan religion.Here is the Lord's warnings about such things:

"When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
    10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.
    11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
    12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee"
    (Deut.18:9-12).

These things are an "abomination".The Lord does not want to see His people practicing such things.And it is an abomination to the Lord when His people made carved images and bowed down to those images.That is why the Second Commandment of the Lord is:

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any carved image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them"(Ex.20:4,5).

The following site has a photograph of the Pope bowing down to such a "carved image":

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/wylie-images.htm

In His grace,--Jerry

5. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

Why Bob, you seem to be such a history buff. Then I pull up something from history and you sweep it under the rug. Doesn't fit your biases so let's ignore it. With regard to the candle outside the tabernacle, I wasn't referring to candles lit for the deceased. You quite apparently didn't pay too much attention in Mass now did you. Ever see that little candle lit up in front of the Church.

Blessings

6. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

Since you're quoting Cardinal Newman with apparent approval, do you also approve of this statement?
    </font>[/QUOTE]MikeS,

How does the church at Rome "sanctify" the things of demon-worshp--by saying "hocus pocus" over them?

In His grace,--Jerry

7. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

CatholicConvert,

The reason that the teachings of the church at Rome and the Eastern Orthodox is the same is because the source of the teaching is the same--it is nothing more than pagan religion dressed up in Christian garb.

A good example of this can be found in the words of a prophet quoted by the martyr Stephen:

"O ye house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain beasts and sacrifices by the space of forty years in the wilderness?Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch"(ACts7:42,43).

Outwardly and with their hands the bore the Tabernacle of Jehovah;but inwardly and with their hearts they were carring the tabernacle of Moloch.

It is not just a coincidence that the outward symbols of all pagan religions bear a resemblance to each other.When some missionaries of the church at Rome settled in certain provinces in China they were amazed to find all the externals of their own religion already in place.

In his book "Buddhism" Dr. Rys Davids decribes the externals of the Lamaism of Tibet:

"Lamaism, indeed, with its shaven priests, its bells, and rosaries, its images, and holy water, and gorgeous dresses; its service with double choirs, and processions, and creeds, and mystic rites, and incense, in which the laity are spectators only; its abbots and monks, and nuns of many grades; its worship of the double Virgin, and of the saints and angels; its fasts, confessions, and purgatory; its images, its idols, and its pictures; its huge monasteries, and its gorgeous cathedrals, its powerful hierarchy, its cardinals, its Pope, bears outwardly at least a strong resemblance to Romanism, in spite of the essential difference of its teachings, and of its mode of thought."

In His grace,--Jerry

8. MikeS

MikeS New Member

MikeS,

The books used in the magic arts were indeed things of the pagans,and they were an integral part of pagan religion.
    </font>[/QUOTE]We're not communicating. You said
    The only things burned were books of magic. However, the Church did not adopt books of magic into itself, so your comment is a non-sequitur.

9. MikeS

MikeS New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]MikeS,

How does the church at Rome "sanctify" the things of demon-worshp--by saying "hocus pocus" over them?

In His grace,--Jerry
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hocus pocus?! You know that's a mocking reference to the Catholic Mass, right? And you chose to use it anyway?

Moving along, the things of demon-worship?! [​IMG]

...temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, and ornamented on occasions with branches of trees; incense, lamps, and candles; votive offerings on recovery from illness; holy water; asylums; holydays and seasons, use of calendars, processions, blessings on the fields; sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the East, images at a later date, perhaps the ecclesiastical chant, and the Kyrie Eleison, are all of pagan origin...

Anybody else think all of these are the things of demon-worship?

10. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Jerry --

You are epistomologically incorrect. Rome and Constantinople are two entirely different foundations and have two entirely different approaches to worship and Liturgy. On top of that, since the Orthodox severed themselves from Rome in 1054, one might think that they would have also jettisoned all that was of Rome that was in error. Yet we see that they kept the true worship of the Lord in praxis.

Your further problem is that the things which you decry as pagan have very strong foundation in the scriptures and were practiced 3 centuries before the so called "Romanization" of paganism by St. Constantine. There is no way to attach "Romanizing" to the Eucharist, for example, when you find in the second century the writings which show that the earliest of the church fathers both practiced and taught this as learned directly from the apostles.

The fact that paganism has elements of truth in it can be explained from Romans 2: 13-16 where it states that the Holy Spirit works in the hearts of even Gentiles (pagans) and places His law in their hearts. If they follow that law, even imperfectly and in error, they are nonetheless, according to Romans, a law unto themselves and shall be judged according to how well they kept that law impressed upon their hearts.

It is not the Catholic/Orthodox Faith which violates Scripture and is pagan. It is those non-catholic religions which violate the teachings of Scripture. I cannot fit the doctrines of Protestantism and Anabaptistry into the form of the covenantal salvation which our God established on earth through the Cross. But I most certainly can do that with the universal Faith.

And of course, after I examined it closely and found that it met all the requirements of covenantalism, then all I could do was to convert to that Faith which is the ancient and true faith of our God.

Brother Ed

11. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

Catholic Convert,

We can see that even from the time of Justin Martyr that the early believers had already adopted the pagan beliefs into their system of worship.

This following is from the "Catholic Encyclopedia":

"With regard to the water mingled with the wine in the Mass, the Fathers from the earliest times have tried to find reasons why the Church uses a mixed chalice though the Gospel narrative implies that Christ consecrated pure wine."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15564a.htm

The "mixed chalice" is in regard to the Roman practice of adding water and wine together during their worship service.

The reason why the early believers used water plus wine in their mass is because it was copied from the pagan religions.Here are the words of Justin in the second century:

For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, "This do ye in remembrance of Me, this is My body;" and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, "This is My blood;" and gave it to them alone. Which the wicked devils have imitated in the mysteries of Mithras, commanding the same thing to be done. For, that bread and a cup of water are placed with certain incantations in the mystic rites of one who is being initiated, you either know or can learn"("Justin:First Apology",#66).

BREAD AND WATER !

That was not all the things which the early believers took from the religion of Mithra.Another was "sun worship".As John Henry Cardinal Newman admits,"turning to the East" was one of the rites that the early believers adopted into the church.That is in regard to sun-worship because the sun rises in the East.

The early church was filled with so many who worshipped the sun that by the fifth century Pope Leo complained because the worshippers in St.Peter's turned away from the altar and faced the door so that they could adore the rising sun.

In His grace,--Jerry

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why Bob, you seem to be such a history buff. Then I pull up something from history and you sweep it under the rug. Doesn't fit your biases so let's ignore it. With regard to the candle outside the tabernacle, I wasn't referring to candles lit for the deceased. You quite apparently didn't pay too much attention in Mass now did you. Ever see that little candle lit up in front of the Church.

Blessings
    </font>[/QUOTE]#1. I never claimed to be Catholic (just the details).

#2. I am simply pointing out that when Carson tries to pull in the reference to candles - (in fact it is a lampstand filled with oil) that in fact that lampstand was never used for the pagan practice of praying to the dead or for the dead. It was located inside the Holy Place of the tabernacle (the first room) as you can see in Hebrews 9.

In Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The question is asked whether the paganism of Rome went across to the Eastern Orthodox - since much of the paganism was adopted by the 5th and 6th centuries.

Lets view some of the specific examples listed by Catholic historians..

14. mioque

mioque New Member

"The "mixed chalice" is in regard to the Roman practice of adding water and wine together during their worship service."
    Actually it was a Roman secular practice, nothing religious about it.

Drinking wine pure was seen as extremely crude and provincial. Exactly the sort of thing a Galilean would do. That Galilean happened to be God, but that doesn't mean polite society has to lower itself to Galilean standards now does it. ;)

15. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

Blessings
    </font>[/QUOTE]#1. I never claimed to be Catholic (just the details).

#2. I am simply pointing out that when Carson tries to pull in the reference to candles - (in fact it is a lampstand filled with oil) that in fact that lampstand was never used for the pagan practice of praying to the dead or for the dead. It was located inside the Holy Place of the tabernacle (the first room) as you can see in Hebrews 9.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG]

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A Better Catholic you will not find.

I commend your consistency Mioque - congrats!

But I have to wonder about our RC slackers - how are you letting Mioque get away - he has all but genuflected at every opportunity. What gives? Does he have coodies??

In Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Don't you just love to see Thess snoozing through quotes of his own material - Catholic sources making Thess snooze!! [​IMG] :eek:

Must be like sitting through confirmation classes again.. [​IMG]

In Christ,

Bob

18. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

mioque,

If the answer is so simple why in the world would the church fathers from the earliest times attempted to determine why Rome uses a mixed chalice?

The following is from the "Catholic Encyclopedia":

"With regard to the water mingled with the wine in the Mass, the Fathers from the earliest times have tried to find reasons why the Church uses a mixed chalice though the Gospel narrative implies that Christ consecrated pure wine."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15564a.htm

In His grace,--Jerry

19. mioque

mioque New Member

"If the answer is so simple why in the world would the church fathers from the earliest times attempted to determine why Rome uses a mixed chalice?"
    What do you expect? That they admit that they did things somewhat differently than God himself because they belong to a different culture where drinking unmixed wine is considered uncouth?

Anyhow the Roman habit of never drinking pure wine is a secular habit caused in large part by the dismal quality of most of the vintages available in that era.

20. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

Another pagan symbol that was adopted into the church at Rome is "holy water".John Henry Cardinal Newman,the "Father of the Second Vatican Council" admits that the Romish concept of "holy water" was taken from pagan religions:

We are told in various ways by Eusebius , that Constantine, in order to recommend the new religion to the heathen, transferred into it the outward ornaments to which they had been accustomed in their own. It is not necessary to go into a subject which the diligence of Protestant writers has made familiar to most of us. The use of temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, and ornamented on occasions with branches of trees; incense, lamps, and candles; votive offerings on recovery from illness; holy water; asylums; holydays and seasons, use of calendars, processions, blessings on the fields; sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the East, images at a later date, perhaps the ecclesiastical chant, and the Kyrie Eleison, are all of pagan origin, and sanctified by their adoption into the Church"(Newman,"Newman Reader",Chapter 8,Section 2,#6).

http://www.newmanreader.org/works/development/chapter8.html#grace

To us who recognize the essential distinction between "matter" and "spirit" the thought of washing the "soul" from sin by water is the worst kind of superstition.But that was not so with those whose minds were seeped in pagan philosophy.They knew no such distinction.

And the practice of blessing the water came from the Gnostic idea that evil itself could attach itself to water.In fact,before the Second Vatican Council,"salt" was first "exorcised" of evil spirits and then added to the water to make "holy water":

"Before the Second Vatican Council modernized Catholic rituals in the 1960s, priests added salt to make holy water. The salt was exorcised of possible evil spirits and then mixed with water during the blessing."

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030721.html

Rome teaches that "every evil spirit, and all maladies be put to flight by him who either drinks these beverages or is anointed with them"("Catholic Encyclopedia").

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07432a.htm

Rome says that "evil spirits" are driven away by this "holy water" that comes from pagan sources.Just another example of the superstitous beliefs of those who follow Rome.

In His grace,--Jerry