1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pandora's Box of Nanotech At Our Doorstep

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by kyredneck, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm personally fascinated at what good things could come from the field of nanotechnology, but I'm also aware there's great potential for evil there in the hands of the wrong people. The Age of Nanotechnology hasn't happened yet, but I believe it to be inevitable. Here's a recent development within the computer industry.
    -------------------------------------

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43638/135/

Small circuit boards hang on DNA scaffolds

Excerpts from article:

“Scientists at IBM are experimenting with using DNA molecules as scaffolding for millions of carbon nanotubes in an attempt to push Moore's Law below the 22 nanometer level”.

“The DNA nanostructures can be used as scaffolds to precisely assemble components including carbon nanotubes, nanowires and nanoparticles which circumvent the physical limits of current semi process technology.....”

“.....DNA origami. Single DNA molecules self assemble in solution using a reaction between a long single strand of viral DNA and a mixture of different short synthetic oligonucleotide strands. The short segments fold the viral DNA into a 2D shape and act as staples. In turn these staples will provide attachment sites for nanoscale components at resolutions as tiny as six nanometers....”
    ----------------------------

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170288/ibm_scientists_build_computer_chips_from_dna.html

IBM Scientists Build Computer Chips From DNA