1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Parable of the Lost-Centering on the Lost son

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by revmwc, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

And what is that choosing and adoption based upon? Foreknowledge

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The 99 in their mind like the Pharisees saw no need for repentance yes they needed to repent but theirs were the Stoney ground and they saw no need of repentance

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

So now the stony ground folks aren't saved?

Repentance from what? Sin? What 'need of repentance' what does this mean?

Jesus said the 99 who need no repentance (paraphrase). Some say there are some that need not repent and allude to what Jesus said and say some need to repent, some do not according to His words.

Show us how you conclude that this (the 99) refers to Pharisees. You can use the Greek structure to show us this. :)

[Edited]

[Edited: Member was warned for this same false allegation post# 2227702 (trolling) comment removed; JonC]

#83 Internet Theologian, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Considering scripture states He spoke this parable to them in reference to the Pharisees

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, I foreknow the pink half runner beans and the white half runner beans and the greasy grit beans that are coming up in my garden because I PLANTED THEM!

13 But he answered and said, Every plant which my heavenly Father planted not, shall be rooted up. Mt 15

37 And he answered and said, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
    38 and the field is the world; and the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one; Mt 13

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ***Sigh*** :(

Biblical foreknowledge is not the foreknowledge you are thinking it is. The foreknowledge you are thinking about is that God looked down through the corridors of time and saw those who would believe and elected them accordingly.

Firstly, this reeks of open theism, as it has God gaining knowledge by looking ahead in time.

Secondly, it has God being particular(as you guys aver He isn't) and saving them who are willing to be saved and electing them thusly.

Thirdly, you are ascribing to the unregenerate something they do not have the ability to do...believe while still in an unregenerate state.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True biblical foreknowledge is that God knew ahead of time...however, He knew this, not by looking down through time, but because He decreed it from the creation of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother KYR, white half-runners are my favorite! I can eat a three lb Shedd-Spread butter bowl full of'em. :)

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Interlinear states verse 3 eipen de pros autous tEn paraboIEn taautEn legOn, "He said yet toward them The Parable this saying,"
    Mounce states: 3 So de he told legō them autos · ho this houtos parable parabolē.

The parable was directed to them, who are the "them" being referred too? The Pharisees of course. What do we know about the Pharisees? They were murmuring about Christ receiving sinners and eating with them. In other words like the older brother murmuring and grumbling "diegogguzon" . What do we see of the older brother? He grumbled and was angry because of the celebration of the sinners return. That is exactly how the Pharisees were, grumbling about the sinners coming to Jesus.

So that the 99 sheep were left "en th ephmo" that is in the desolate, isn't that where the unbeliever is desolate and without God? The shepherd left the 99 desolate, and found the lost. Rejoicing occurred over the one sheep that was found. Moreover there is joy in heaven when one lost sinner repents than over the ninety and nine just persons who "any not need are having of after mind (repentance)." "dikaiois hoitines ou cherian echousin metanoounti" In their mind they need no repentance, just like the Pharisees so the 99 sheep represented those Pharisees.

#89 revmwc, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

1 Peter 1:2 "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied."
    Mounce:
    2 elect according to kata the foreknowledge prognōsis of God theos the Father patēr by en being set apart hagiasmos by the Spirit pneuma for eis obedience hypakoē and kai for sprinkling rhantismos with the blood haima of Jesus Iēsous Christ Christos. May grace charis and kai peace eirēnē be yours hymeis in ever increasing measure plēthunō.

Strongs:
    Prognosis = "a foreknowledge" (akin to A. proginosko), is used only of Divine "foreknowledge," Acts 2:23; 1 Peter 1:2 . "Foreknowledge" is one aspect of omniscience; it is implied in God's warnings, promises and predictions. See Acts 15:18 . God's "foreknowledge" involves His electing grace, but this does not preclude human will. He "foreknows" the exercise of faith which brings salvation. The Apostle Paul stresses especially the actual purposes of God rather than the ground of the purposes, see, e.g., Galatians 1:16; Ephesians 1:5,11 . The Divine counsels will ever be unthwartable. Cp. FORESHEW.

#90 revmwc, May 12, 2016
  11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, I like them too, they're VERY popular in this locale. I also like their earliness, they give us beans while waiting for the main cropper pole beans to come on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, your are grossly misapplying foreknowledge. It is not to just merely look ahead and elect those who are willing to be saved.

I am far from a Greek scholar, and Strong's is the best I can use, but according to them, this is what foreknowledge is...

prognosis

1. foreknowledge
    2. forethought, pre-arrangement
    God elected His sheep based upon His foreknowledge, but His foreknowledge is that He pre-arranged it so that they would be saved.

You see election based foreknowledge as something like a teacher in a class room full of students and she asks a question and a bunch of them have their hands raised wanting to answer the question.

It's not that way with biblical foreknowledge. In the biblical stance, none of the students are raising their hands, as they have no way to answer the question. In fact, they are probably pointing their fingers at others, wanting them to answer it.

If God looked down through time and based His election on His creation raising their hands, then none would be saved. Romans 3 avers this.

#92 SovereignGrace, May 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This might be the worst Bible twisting I've seen on BB. You could knock me over with a feather! I can't believe my eyes! How do you turn born again into something that Nicodemus does?! Jesus's entire point was the exact post which is why he used "born again". If Jesus wanted more of a commitment from Nicodemus, He would have said so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.