1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Parables in Matthew chapter 13

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by bighouse222, May 2, 2002.

1. bighouse222

bighouse222 New Member

It seems that most people view Matthew 13:30-35
    differently than i do.

The Mustard seed growing to become a tree and the fowls perching in the branches.
    I don't think the Mustard seed (Church or Christiandom) is a good thing and the fowls are Satan (Tares).
    Matthew 13:4 says the fowls devour the seed,that does not seem like the Church or believers to me.

Does anyone agree or differ on this????
    :D

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

First of all, I think it is a mistake to treat every parable like an allegory. Every little thing in a parable does not necessarily stand for something. A parable is just a story that teaches some truth.

Here is what I think this one teaches us: The kingdom of God is like a mustard seed. It starts tiny and grows to something really big. To make this little parable teach much more than that is, IMHO, reading something into the text that may or may not be there.

The parable of the sower is a completely different parable. The seed (according to Jesus) represents something different in that parable: not the kingdom, but the WORD of the kingdom. Since the seed in the two parables represents different things, I don't know why one would assume the birds represent the same thing.

3. bighouse222

bighouse222 New Member

4. bighouse222

bighouse222 New Member

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    russell55 points out that each parable has a singular point that is being taught.

However, the Matthew 13 parables all seem to have an underlying theme giving them unity.

That underlying theme appears to be the plan of the evil one to attempt to overturn the Kingdom of God on earth and the various methods he will use to accomplish the plan (as if it were possible).
    Infiltration and admixture of counterfeits being a high priority strategy.

The parables of the treasure and the pearl seem to be counter-measures against this plan.

That being said then the view that the fowls are an admixture of clean and unclean birds is viable.
    This idea of an admixture would be in keeping with some of the other parables (wheat-tares, good fish-bad fish).

My opinion of course.

HankD

[ May 12, 2002, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

6. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Sorry to venture off topic slightly but...

I have a question about this that I cannot remember seeing discussed previously or coming up elsewhere. Are the parables of Jesus actual anecdotes selected to convey some truth or teaching? Or are the parables, if not allegory, a fictional story used for the same purpose? Or some of both?

[ May 12, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: UTEOTW ]