1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The paranormal

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Feb 15, 2006.

?
  1. I definitely do not believe they exist

58.0%
  2. I don’t think they exist

8.0%
  3. It’s more likely they don’t exist than they do

2.0%
  4. It’s more likely they exist than they don’t

10.0%
  5. I think they exist

12.0%
  6. I definitely think they exist

8.0%
  7. I just don’t know

2.0%
  8. No answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This poll may not do anything positive here, but comments, some surprising, do emerge about these subjects on occasion; here and elsewhere. I was asked recently if I believe in ghosts, and the one who asked seemed quite surprised when I said "No." And fairly recently I had a little discussion here with someone who claimed he or she formerly used psychic powers with accuracy. So this is a test, per se, to see to what extent we are on the same plane. What do you believe?

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoever you are who quickly voted "I definitely believe they exist" to every question... I definitely don't believe your votes are to be taken seriously.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have liked a box reading:

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree with Squire. I don't think that what people see are actually spirits of actual dead people, but I do think that demons can fake alot of things.

Ive also wondered why we don't think of angels as "aliens"? I don't think they spend most of their time here on earth....don't they have to be somewhere?

5. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

As far as your description of ghosts (spirits) and Psychics what do you do with Saul, Samuel, and the Witch of Endor(sp?)? This one account seems to answer both fery well.

Max

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bigfoot was proven to be a hoax.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ahhhh, but gb, the hoax regarding Bigfoot was only in one case where a few men left fake footprints around, and we are pretty sure that the one tape in that instance was a fake. But they based their hoax on actual legends of the area.

So! the mystery can still remain!

:D [​IMG]

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Max: Yes, Samuel was real enough when he appeared to Saul. However, IIRC the witch of Endor was surprised by his (Samuel's) appearence. That and this is (AFAIK) the only occurence in Scripture. So, I won't use an execption for a rule.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

While that's technically true, we should not presume that reports of ghosts are demons. The most likely explanation is one's own vivid imagination due to the power of suggestion. For example, has anyone noticed that there are a lot of reports of people seeing ghosts in their room when they just wake up? Not surprisingly, waking dreams are most experienced when one is just waking up. But most of the time, they're forgotten about within a few minutes of waking.

Let's put it this way: Not a single claim of ghosts has ever been verified. Most, if not all, have logical explanations.
    Because that's not what scripture makes them out to be. They often appear as people, sometimes without anyone being aware of them being angels.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's actually untrue. Many sighting claims have been shown to be hoaxed, but many more go unexplained. I myself once saw something that could be described as a bigfoot when I was on a wilderness hike many years ago. And I wasn't alone. Two other people with me saw the same thing. But was it a bigfoot? If there was such a thing, one likely would have been captured on video, or shot, etc, by now. So it is more likely that what I saw was something with a more reasonable logical explanation, such as an existing animal that I simply have no knowlege about.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree Johnv. I did not mean to imply that I think all sightings of "ghosts" would be covered under demons.

Im not even convinced that Bigfoot ought to be placed within a "paranormal" discussion. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that an unknown species of animal still exists.

As to angels....they are another form of being, not human, and they have their existence somewhere other than earth. Isn't that "alien?" And technically, there are more than one form of "angel." Cherumbim don't seem real human-like, and Seraphim have a different description still.

Sometimes its fun to bat these ideas around....thats all Im doing here. [​IMG]
    :D

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Bat away, I'll happily toss the opening pitch [​IMG]

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Actually, this is only one instance that was proved to be a hoax, as well as a few others. Further than that, it is impossible to prove a negative. You cannot prove that something doesn't exist.

Well, I answered that they definitely exist, because I have had personal interaction with them, but I doubt that they are necessarily spirits of the physically dead. So, despite the fact that I am unsure by the definition given, I still answered in the positive.

Also, although I doubt that aliens exist, I do think that if we have had contact with them, the government would have covered it up.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

An alien (if they exsisted, and I don't beleive for one minute they do), would be a being of flesh who originated on another planet, not a spiritual being.

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

why, donnA? and who said angels have no physicality? our physical bodies are simply all we understand, and so we require all life to have them. God even says there are many things out there that we don't know about......

16. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

wait...there is no bigfoot? Then who is that big hairy guy i see walking around the swamp?

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

The swamp!? Why, thats not Bigfoot. He only lives in the mountains and forests (mostly he's CanadiAN). But if you see a big hairy thing walking around a swamp thats the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If sentient lifeforms existed on other planets, the chances of them looking remotely like is (a head, two hands, two legs, two eyes, etc) are slim to none. Therefore, the likeliest explanation for alien "sightings" is mistaken identity, the power of suggestion, or hysteria. Note that not one sighting claim has ever been substantiated, nor has there ever been even a photograph of such a being, except, perhaps, for the movie "Signs".

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I was on vacation; I had my shirt off;

Now, will all of you please leave me alone!

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, my polls on "your ideal worship service" get some votes but almost no discussion at all. But people obviously want to talk about the paranormal a lot more. I suppose the topics are a little more fascinating than songs, prayers, communion, and sermons.

That's how I saw 'Jesus' once. I think I was 15 and recovering from my injuries from a motorcycle wreck, worried about missing a year of school and never being able to run or have agility again. I saw "him" standing there in my room, talking to me, just for 20 seconds at most; but curiously I was unable to remember what he was saying immediately after it was over and I was fully awake. But I do remember he spoke with the most perfect diction that could be imagined; and it 'seemed' like the words were just words of encouragement [ain't that a surprise?]. It may have taken 20 years or more for me to conclude this was a dream, and nothing but that.

Then you gave the wrong answer. If "they" are not the subject that is then predicated, you should have said you don't think "they" are there.